Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Lower Path & Hamilton's Seat  (Read 3620 times)

Zaman

• Newbie Poster
Lower Path & Hamilton's Seat
« on: March 01, 2013 »

Hello Everybody!

Last June my friend, whom I see once a year, and I spent a few days messing about some of our beloved sites.   We didn't get very far up the Gobbins path, alas, but we did do something I've wanted to do for a very, very long time.   We clambered over the fence at the end of the public lower path at the causeway and headed round that forbidden path.   It was a very drizzly day and I found that I felt very confident about my own safety, but very nervous about my friend.   We got round a few headlands, but reached a point where the path just seemed to vanish.   If I remember correctly we got to a point around Port na Spaniagh (ie not very far).   With hindsight, I think on a dry day it may be possible to get further, and I notice from google maps that beyond that point it appears as if one could walk the entire distance of the lower path fairly safely. 

I have a few questions.  Has anyone actually walked the entire path in the past year or so?  Is it achievable?  If so, how would you assess the risk?

My other question concerns the old steps at Hamilton's Seat.  I'm fascinated by whether these are still in place.   Would it be possible to use them to climb back to the cliff top?   If so, how would you assess the risk here?

I am willing to have a cigar once or twice a year if 1) the cigar is about as expensive as you can get (Cohiba Siglo VI, for instance), 2) the company is excellent and 3) the location is superb.    I think getting along the entire length of the lower path would easily entitle one to such an indulgence.   Also, as someone who has recently begun eating meat after a 16 year hiatus, I'd say achieving this goal might give one an excuse to indulge in some fine, meaty, epicurean delight!

Thanks for any info!

Zaman

Fred

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
Re: Lower Path & Hamilton's Seat
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013 »

Hello there
I havent been on the gobbins path for seven or eight years but I remember that several sections are missing. I doubt if you could walk its length without acess to a boat.

fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013 »

Hello Everybody!

I have a few questions.  Has anyone actually walked the entire path in the past year or so?  Is it achievable?  If so, how would you assess the risk?

My other question concerns the old steps at Hamilton's Seat.  I'm fascinated by whether these are still in place.   Would it be possible to use them to climb back to the cliff top?   If so, how would you assess the risk here?

Zaman

Would this be of any use to you?
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3589.msg38642#msg38642

surfnscenic
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013 »

The question is: Do you feel lucky:

(more:
)

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013 »

The question is: Do you feel lucky:

(more:
)

What a video !!!!!  Love it !!!!!

Ive walked round that path and up them steps 6 times now, there is two big land slides on root to the steps. It is my favourite place to go.

Regards wolf
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]