Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Wanting to rekindle my memories of wild camping  (Read 5083 times)

kathryn

• Newbie Poster

Hi Everyone,

I'm Kathryn from Larne and have many fond memories of wild camping with my family in my youth.
I now have a three year old son and am keen to introduce him to the all the great outdoors has to offer!

The only problem is that although we always had plenty of tents/mats/knives/tranjias etc when i was growing up, none of it was actually mine so need some advice on whats the best 3/4 man tent (on a strict budget!) to get us started.

Anybody any advice on where is best to bring young kids to camp? (somewhere where not a lot of hiking is required but still off the beaten track would be ideal)

Cheers!

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Wanting to rekindle my memories of wild camping
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010 »

Anywhere that you have to carry all your gear from the car in one go I always reckon is as close to a hike as makes no difference as you have to be able to comfortably carry all your stuff at the same time. I like the Vango Banshee 200 and 300 as it's light for its footprint but it has no headroom or porch. People here also rate the Vango Tempest as it's still a reasonable weight but more roomy.

As for a place to start, if you want off the beaten track but not too far it can be hard to find a compromise between distance and privacy as the spots close to the road attract teen drinkers. Annalong Wood or Donard Forest would be our favourites but it would be a bit of a walk for a 3 year old. That said, there have been a few 4 year olds up with us and they were fine.

This link might be of interest:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1272

Oh and, welcome to the forum! Maybe a bit short notice but there's a crowd of us off to Donard Wood on Sat and there'll be plenty of kids there. Even if you can't stay why not come up for the afternoon and check it out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010 by J »

ChuckMcB

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 »

Welcome Kathryn

As J says, Blacks seem to be doing some good deals. Millets (same company as Blacks) and even Lidl/Tescos/TK Maxx are good for cheap entry level stuff.

ps. What about doing a practice run in Carnfunnock (anyone been there?) before you hit the wilds..also means you are not too far away from home if you need to make a quick get away to escape the elements.

pps. Here's the pics from the last family camp, they are a good bunch.  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 »

pps. Here's the pics from the last family camp, they are a good bunch.  ;D

That was such a good weekend. The leg of lamb was particularly good, even if it did take about 5 hours to cook :)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010 »

Hi Kathryn, welcome to the forum.  For good tents at a decent price I'd recommend Vango as J has already mentioned.  I have the Vango Tempest 200 and its a great 2 man with a decent sized porch that you can cook or store gear in.  They also sell a Tempest 300 which is the 3 man version. 

If you get a chance to come along to Donard Wood on Saturday I will have my Tempest with me so feel free to come have a nosey!

kathryn

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010 »

Thanks for all the advice everyone...had a look at the tents you suggested, hopefully be able to get one next weekend :) and i think i'll just go and raid my Dads garage for everything else!

I would love to be able to come tomorrow but not really able to unfortunately. Looked like loads of fun in those pics!

I'm thinkin of settin up a tarp in the back garden just for a bit of fun with my friend and her son tomorrow night.

How often would you all go on a family camp then?

ChuckMcB

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010 »

i'll just go and raid my Dads garage for everything else
Definatly....free hand-me-downs rock....sometimes you just got to go out and starting using stuff to see what suits.

I'm thinkin of settin up a tarp in the back garden just for a bit of fun with my friend and her son tomorrow night.
Tarp! You never told us about that. Do it! ;D we're fans.

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010 »

Your needs are similiar to mine Kathryn :)

I'm after somewhere out of the way but not too out of the way as I'll have my 11 yo son with me. I am in the same area as you too ;D

Canrfunnock always appears to booked out and the Curran Park is too close to civilisation i.e. thugs that wander the street after hours  ::) I've also been told Browns Bay is now inhabited by undesirables  :-\

kathryn

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010 »

If u want somewhere near Carnfunnock then Capanagh Wood might be a good place to go.  I never actually camped there myself but I went for a walk there today to scope out its potential!  Its a couple of kilometres deep so if you go to the far side of the wood then you'd be well out of the way. 

Check this out: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=940.0

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010 »

Thanks Kathryn, I read that one. Looks pretty ideal ;D

Looks like J and Billy had a great night  :)

Greyfox

• Top Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010 »

Hi Kathryn welcome,

If you want to give us a shout on the NIBA web addy niba@fsmail.net we can send you out details when we are having our next meet up as we operate out of an area carnfunnock teaching bushcraft.

Cheers

Paul
Northern Ireland Survival School
"Teaching yesterday skills today"
www.nisurvival.co.uk
nisurvivalschool@gmail.com

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]