Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Guy walks into a forum...  (Read 22661 times)

ChuckMcB

Guy walks into a forum...
« on: April 14, 2010 »

..bumps head. Ouch. (ahem..sorry)

Afternoon all!

About:Me

Walking:
  • Hillbrough Forest twice a day every (working) day. (thank goodness it's starting to get bright at 6am & still bright at 7pm when I do it)
  • Mournes/Antrim hills every weekend. Normally afternoon tramps, (getting Mrs Chuck, the dog and myself out of the house before 11 is more of a challenge than Donard is).
  • Couple of long distance walks over the last couple of years: WHW (*the* *best*), Great Glen Way (a week walking along a canal, then a day walking up the side of Loch Ness...nothing special), Isle of Arran (tricky enough..poor paths..would be good to do it again when the way is more matured), Causeway Coast Challenge Walk (couple of times..now that was a slog..)
  • Week in Lake district in January (soo much snow), Braemar Autumn 09 (Lochnagar, now that was a view...Lairig Ghru over night next time), Aviemore January 09 (what do you mean you can't take the dog down the Funicular railway?)
Plans/Interests:
  • Get out under canvas (since I've been lurking here I've picked up second hand DD tarp & a Pro Action Hike neither used in anger yet..this weekend perhaps)
  • Find some new walks
  • Do some trail running
  • Drag me dad up to the Pot of Legawherry for an overnight
  • Get suntan on a walking holiday in Crete in May.  ;D

Latest Trips

Kit list

Common Kit
Gelert RUC610, Base 65L Ruck

Day Walk Kit
1l flask w/ hot water
Enamel 1 pint cup

Overnight Kit
Honey Stove
Ikea metal utensil holder as hobo stove.
MSR Pocket Rocket
Crusader cup for heating food
Enamel cup for drinking/heating water for drinks
2l bladder

Shelter
DD Hammock 3'x3' Tarp (using mostly plastic pegs - better for peat/soft ground)
Vango Beta 250 2 man tent
Argos Pro Action Hike Lite 1 man tent
Mountain Equipment Starlight I 2 season sleeping bag

Tech Toys
GPS Logger iBlue 747A+
Mapyx.com digital mapping software (/w Mournes 1:25,000 & several 1:50,000 maps)

Light & Heat
LED Lenser P3 mini torch
Honey Stove
Ikea HoBo stove

Misc
TENACIOUS repair tape for tarp repairs
Clingon instant eyelet
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010 by Chuck »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Guy walks into a forum...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010 »

Welcome Chuck. Seems like you're getting plenty of outdoors time! Lucky..

ChuckMcB

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010 »

Thanks J

Yup, I'm very lucky: 30 mins away from the Mournes and a wife that is understanding to my wee notions: like having dinner this evening on the side of Meelmore while she was at the gym (crappy camera phone pic):

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010 »

welcome along mate, I live just outside annahilt. hopefully It wont be too long before I see you out in the hills.

"Never used in anger."

Theres always this weekend at the mourne wall  ;)

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010 »

Welcome along Chuck

Liked your photo .... a great way to kill some time !

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010 »

Hi Chuck, you know how to use a tarp, u da man (hopefully I'm getting tarp inducted this weekend) !!!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010 »

Tarps are awesome, more fun than tents. Except when the midges are out of course - then some netting is a saviour!

Hi Chuck, you know how to use a tarp, u da man (hopefully I'm getting tarp inducted this weekend) !!!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010 »

Hi Chuck, welcome to the forum.

I'm hoping to head to the Lake District in the summer, so might be throwing some questions your direction soon about where to go/where to stay :)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010 »

Thanks folks.

I live just outside annahilt.
Same here.

"Never used in anger."

Theres always this weekend at the mourne wall  ;)
No go for me :( Doing stuff early Saturday morning (wedding anniversary present),  going to escape in the late afternoon/evening, get dropped off and find a wee patch of green somewhere. Then do a bit of a walk on the Sunday.

you know how to use a tarp, u da man!!!
It's amazing what you can learn in 10mins on youtube then an hour in the back garden trying to make stuff stay up.

Except when the midges are out of course - then some netting is a saviour!
Been wondering about that: full netting, head cover only, anti-mozzy candles, jungle formula wipes/liquid.

.... a great way to kill some time !
Yup, determined to kick my TF2/L4D habit for the summer. :)

I'm hoping to head to the Lake District in the summer, so might be throwing some questions your direction soon about where to go/where to stay :)
Sure, if I can, my last trip there was just lots of short walks, just soooo much snow we didn't risk any major walks (really wanted to do the Old Man of Coniston/Skiddaw/Walla Crag) but did was a case that we didn't want our bodies to be found in the spring. :o
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010 by Chuck »

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010 »

Hello and welcome chuck
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010 »

welcome to the forum chuck.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

ChuckMcB

Cove Mountain Bivvy 17-18/04/2010
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010 »

(With the stories and pics of you guys doing the wall at the weekend I'm a little bit nervous posting this, which is nothing in comparison, so I'll hide it in this thread...)

My first 'in anger' wild bivvy.

Plan:
Dropped off by Mrs at Carrick Little Car Park, along track beside Annalong Wood, up to Lower Cove Mountain, on up to Cove Mountian, if all is well bivvy overnight, otherwise drop back down into the Annalong Valley/Wood to bivvy. Then the next day exit via Brandy Pad to Hare's Gap and down to Meelmore Lodge to be met by Mrs.

Weather forecast: Sat: Clear skies. Sunday: Cloudy & rain. Temp dropping down to -2. Sunrise: 6:12 AM Sunset: 8:32 PM

Saturday Morning.

Up at the crack of dawn to do a wee bit of this and a wee bit of that. Top fun (wife now wants to buy an Evo :o ), give it a go if you can, they are based out towards Craigavon http://www.superdriveni.com/

Running very late, get packed, hit the road 16.00, get slowed down by boy racers who t-boned each other on the road out of Ballynahinch. Lots of fire engines in a hurry somewhere..

17:01
Leave Carrick Little Car Park. Mrs and dog to keep me company as far as the stile.
Pass father and son combo climbing into Annalong Wood otherwise no sign of anyone else in the main camping area.

17:23

17:34
Pass the corner of Annalog Wood. Take second right towards low cove. Remind myself to pace myself.

17:45

17:51

17:58
Arrive alongside Cove cave, realised I was walking too . Dozen climbers doing their stuff, one instructor getting the slight rage when one of his students couldn't get his (insert name of clamp thingy they use) out of the rock. Remind again myself to pace myself.
Pass couple of climbers dragging a serious amount of rope and hardhats.

17:59

18:04

18:06

18:16
(happily) blinded by the sun coming through the shoulder between Slievelamagan and Cove Mountain.
Wave at couple of campers already set up on the lower slopes of Cove and looking a bit board.

18:25

18:32

18:33
Finally find the summit..now time to find a pitch.

18:37

18:41

18:42
Found a pitch

18:46
Let the 'fun' begin

18:52

19:08

19:24
Blood goes cold...not enough pegs.

19:26

19:29

19:30

19:33

19:35

(Yup, folks, it took near an hour to put a tarp up...sob)

19:49

19:57

20:24

Phone home. Hear about fires near Tollymore, look about, see the smoke and later after the sun goes down see the glow of the fires on the hill side.

Starting to get cold (must get a thermometer) time for bed. Sleeping bag and mat into bivvy, boots into carrier bags, everything into rucksack with rain cover on just in case the tarp blows off during the night.
Rucksack just the right height for a pillow...handy enough.

(footage missing)

06:15
Woken up not by sunrise and bird song but my mobile phone alarm going off. Ahh for forks sake! Looked out, bright but lots of cloud, no sign of rain. Rolled over went back to sleep.

07:48
Wake up again, yuck, lots of dark looking clouds coming in. Make 'get me out of here' phone call home.

08:01

09:26

Up, breakfast (should have left left porridge to cool down a bit, no more skin left on roof of mouth), pack-up.

09:35

Head down towards Slieve Beg. Passed by a couple of hill runners going the other way.

10:10

10:18

10:33

Down to the Brand Pad.
Pass gent being pulled along the path by two huskeies, he's heading for Donard.
Meet Mrs and dog halfway along Brandy Pad. Dog pleased to see me....Mrs says "well, you don't smell **too** bad"

11:00
Showing off: stick the tarp up at Hare's Gap, coffee, couple of sausage rolls and an entire packet of chocolate biscuits. Give dog one of his mountain hotdogs. Dog decides he'll go for a scrounge for scraps around the walkers having lunch at the wall (ladies: he knows he looks cute...but please don't feed him...he will end up following you rather than us)

Dog captured, put on lead, lead tied to rock. Go back to lunching walkers, retrieve dog and rock. Find bigger rock. ;0)

11:55

Down from Hare's Gap, past gaggles of DoE's huffing their way up/down the path, over the ford and down the side of Meelmore to the stile to Meelmore lodge. Offload packs into car and then to the cafe for pot of tea and apple pie. \o/

Mini pack list:
DD Tarp (dumped the metal pegs, used plastic ones instead)
tech mate bivvy (£19 TKMax special)
foam mat & water proof picnic blanket (both cheap gelert kit)
Mountain equipment 2 season sleeping bag
1.5l of water in bladder & hip bottle w/ dilutable juice (hate drinking water on the go)
Pocket rocket gas cooker w/ black clip on stand
Sainsbury's microwave rice and curry sauce & small plastic bottle of red wine for afters.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010 »

Looks like an awesome trip. Solo bivying is proper cool.

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010 »

This is brilliant chuck, love reading about trips out in great detail.  Only thing I would say, it get yourself a decent camera, trips like these should be well snapped.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010 »

well done mate glad to see another member actually getting out there and doing something ;)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]