Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Guy walks into a forum...  (Read 22692 times)

andy1984

• Top Poster
Re: Guy walks into a forum...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010 »

Very nice trip!

I must get myself a tarp and bivy asap! Now i've done a summit camp in tent, i really wanna experience it in a bivy.. especially on a clear night, that wud be amazing!

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010 »

DD Hammocks for a tarp and Alpkit for a bivy will get you sorted for £60 the lot!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010 »

DD Hammocks for a tarp and Alpkit for a bivy will get you sorted for £60 the lot!

i know i think thats the combo i'll go for  ;D

sorry to hajack the thread but do self inflatable mats ( eg the 3/4 length one from alpkit ) feel alot warmer than a cheap foam mat?

ChuckMcB

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010 »

Only thing I would say, it get yourself a decent camera, trips like these should be well snapped.
Yea, the camera phone snaps suck at times, but give cracking results (IMHO) at other times (was particularly pleased with some of the stuff my old Nokia 6230 took during the WHW..but this 'new' E61i is much poorer). I'll fire a new thread into the gear forum, get some suggestions for a suitable camera upgrade.

do self inflatable mats ( eg the 3/4 length one from alpkit ) feel alot warmer than a cheap foam mat?
They would take more bumps out of the ground, would be interested to test to see if my 16st would 'push' down a inflatable mat so my shoulders (and sleeping bag) are touching the ground anyhow. Perhaps it's time to jump up on that mat table in Cotswolds and see. :)

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010 »

Looks like a great trip Chuck. Ordered myself a tarp today so looking forward to getting up there to try it out.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010 »

Nice one Tim. Bit of time sent in the back-garden pays off (as it a trip to millets/tiso to buy a load more pegs)...Do you use walking poles? Or are you planning to use it in woods?

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010 »

Yep i'll be straight into the garden when I get it testing out a few different set-ups. I haven't used walking poles before but I'm planning on getting a pair today, they'll make setting up camp a lot easier without having to look for a forested area etc. Plus I'm sure they'll come in handy for walking as well.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010 »

Poles are ace...I spent the first 10 minutes tripping over myself....the first day feeling a right knob for using them...but the extra speed boost they give you going up hill, reduction of knee shock when going downhill make them well worth it...being able to vault across bogs and rivers around the Mournes is a Brucie Bonus as well.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010 »

I haven't used walking poles before but I'm planning on getting a pair today, they'll make setting up camp a lot easier without having to look for a forested area etc. Plus I'm sure they'll come in handy for walking as well.

If you are trying out poles for the first time then take a look in TK Maxx.  They have a pair of Trekmates poles for £12.99.  They seem decent enough and if you are just using them for pitching and trying out walking then its a good way to give them a try without spending too much.  No point spending money on a fancy carbon pair if it turns out you don't like them; Marmite I guess :)

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010 »

If you are trying out poles for the first time then take a look in TK Maxx.  They have a pair of Trekmates poles for £12.99.  They seem decent enough and if you are just using them for pitching and trying out walking then its a good way to give them a try without spending too much.  No point spending money on a fancy carbon pair if it turns out you don't like them; Marmite I guess :)

Haha that's exactly the pair I bought myself this morning. Seem like a decent pair for the price, especially as I'm just starting out with them.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010 »

Woo...35lb (16kg) pack for one overnight with my Dad :( Glad we are going directly to the pitch.

Fair enough that includes a two man Vango (rather than just my tarp and/or a one man tent)...and some heavier food that I wouldn't normally take.

Any ideas how you are meant to fit your ruck's rain cover over your foam mat attached to the top and a large tent on the bottom? (my cheapy ruck stating to show it's flaws perhaps?)

Edit: ended up beside Trassey River: pics.

Edit #2: Playing with a new cheapy GPS logger:

Day One:
Google Earth file
.gpx file

Day Two:
Google Earth file
.gpx file
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010 by Chuck »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010 »

Jealous. Wish I was on the hill!

Woo...35lb (16kg) pack for one overnight with my Dad :( Glad we are going directly to the pitch.

Fair enough that includes a two man Vango (rather than just my tarp and/or a one man tent)...and some heavier food that I wouldn't normally take.

Any ideas how you are meant to fit your ruck's rain cover over your foam mat attached to the top and a large tent on the bottom? (my cheapy ruck stating to show it's flaws perhaps?)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010 »

Any ideas how you are meant to fit your ruck's rain cover over your foam mat attached to the top and a large tent on the bottom?

Answer: you use as much of the cover as you can...with a bulldog clip securing it to itself around the bottom of the bed roll at the top.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010 »

hi chuck,

what is the summit of cove like? many places for a 2 man tent? cheers

ChuckMcB

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010 »

There is loads of room, but it's quite flat so very exposed right at the top (no wall to pitch beside), there is a couple of dips in the ground and the rocks towards the Ben Cromb Reservoir side of the summit, where I bivvyed, but that gets the wind from up the valley (doubling pegging advised). Ground is quite soft.
Some more substantial shelter and room to be had at the side of Cove facing Lamagan where the peat hags are much bigger (saw a couple of tents set up there when I did it).

Cove gives (on a clear day) cracker views of Donard, Brandy Pad to Hare's Gap, Ben Cromb Reservoir, Doan. Setting sun goes down from Carn/Lough Shannagh direction, rising sun comes from Donard Direction. All good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]