Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: I am going to the Antrim Hills. Can you recommend easy routes  (Read 7821 times)

Daithi2004

• Top Poster

A few of us are heading to the Antrim Hills for the New Year. I would be grateful if anyone could recommend any long and short routes and starting points. I have the maps no 5 & 9. I have previously walked Trostan, Tievebulliagh, Crockalough and Lurigethan before. Thanks

cerbera147

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster

Suppose the obvious is the Antrim Hills Way :)

I've done bits of it but not the whole 22 miles  :o

http://www.walkni.com/Walk.aspx?ID=51

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising

Here's a few a friend of mine has done recently,Murlough Bay to Ballycastle for those that are up for it .
Murlough Bay is perhaps Northern Ireland's most beautiful and peaceful bay. It is accessed by a steep road from the top of Fair Head which winds down the cliffs. The bay is backed by natural woodland and steep cliffs which are home to peregrine falcons and other birds of prey. Coal mining once took place here and there are several old ruins which were once the miners cottages. From Murlough Bay, spectacular views are on offer across to Fairhead, Rathlin Island and to the islands of Scotland.
We then make our way to Fairhead , it lies 3 miles ( 5 km ) east of Ballycastle and is the closest part of the mainland to Rathlin Island.
It is a highly regarded rock-climbing location and is believed to be the biggest expanse of climbable rock in either Ireland or Britain.
Unto Ballycastle passing along the shore line , taking Marconi's cottage , golf course , into Ballycastle.
Meeting at Ballycastle , front of Marine Hotel at 10.30 am
Distance approx 5 miles ( 9 km )
OSNI Map 5 1.50 000
2nd walk
 trek is the Hidden Village in Co. Antrim. 

The trek  starts from the coast road , then up to Galboly Village known locally as the hidden village , the village has only one inhabitant ,  we then make our way to Caranure ( 250 mts ) carry onto  Lough Galboly , from there to Knockmore ( 359 mts ) back towards  Lough Galboly and along the cliff line , we then descend down a gully to Lady Londonderry's path , over looking Garron Tower School, we make our way to the coast road and back to the starting point.

This trek is one not to have missed , as the village is steeped in history , the way of life , the views from the cliffs are breathtaking.

The lenght of the trek is 12.5 km ( 7.7 miles ) approx around 4.30 hours
 Murlough Bay to Ballycastle for those that are up for it .
Murlough Bay is perhaps Northern Ireland's most beautiful and peaceful bay. It is accessed by a steep road from the top of Fair Head which winds down the cliffs. The bay is backed by natural woodland and steep cliffs which are home to peregrine falcons and other birds of prey. Coal mining once took place here and there are several old ruins which were once the miners cottages. From Murlough Bay, spectacular views are on offer across to Fairhead, Rathlin Island and to the islands of Scotland.
We then make our way to Fairhead , it lies 3 miles ( 5 km ) east of Ballycastle and is the closest part of the mainland to Rathlin Island.
It is a highly regarded rock-climbing location and is believed to be the biggest expanse of climbable rock in either Ireland or Britain.
Unto Ballycastle passing along the shore line , taking Marconi's cottage , golf course , into Ballycastle.
Meeting at Ballycastle , front of Marine Hotel at 10.30 am
Distance approx 5 miles ( 9 km )
OSNI Map 5 1.50 000

Daithi2004

• Top Poster

Thanks guys for your quick reply.

If there are other routes, I would be grateful.

Thanking you in advance... David

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising

Hi mate, i've a good friend lives near ,if you like i can arrange you a very experienced guide,with loads of walks

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster

Dug this thread out. It's one of my favourites  ;D

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=940.0

Daithi2004

• Top Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions. We used the one that Mourneman suggest. I wasn't able to walk myself because of bad cold but pass on the information. They said they were hard and steep but great view. Weather was perfect too. Thanks again guys.

Hi mate, i've a good friend lives near ,if you like i can arrange you a very experienced guide,with loads of walks

Thanks for that Mourneman. I just got reading this a day before the trip. If any of you need any info on the Cooley Mountains in North Louth. Let me know.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]