Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Seven Sevens 10th August  (Read 15574 times)

AndrewC

• Newbie Poster
Seven Sevens 10th August
« on: April 03, 2019 »

Hi,

Well after years of thinking about it I've entered the Seven Sevens. Has anyone done this event before? Any advise on training and taking part?

Thanks.

Fred

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
Re: Seven Sevens 10th August
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019 »

Hi Andrew
I done this about 15 years ago. Its certainly a big day out and shouldn't be underestimated but definitely worth doing.  In my opinion the best training is walking up hills, concentrate on endurance rather than speed. If you dont like drinking from the streams you should think carefully about hydration. Having said that, much of the route is away from streams as I remember.
Good luck
fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

AndrewC

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019 »

Thanks Fred,

I am more than happy to drink from streams and can carry a sawyer water filter. I know its a huge day in the hills and the more I think about it the more I think I am mad!!!

Fred

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019 »

Definitely give it a go, you are no madder than the rest of us. If you can do it with some like minded friends, that's great for morale and motivation.
fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019 »

Done it myself a few years back. Its a tough but very enjoyable day out. Get into the hills as much as possible. Great people along the way.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019 »

I have done it a few times and I am also signed up for it twice this year, both in August and also in June for Cancer Focus NI.

As for training there is no substitute for getting out into The Mournes themselves and building the distance up.
On the day take along a good friend for the craic although you will meet loads of great people along the route too.
Probably most importantly, go at the pace of the slowest person in your group. Never try to keep up with another persons pace if it is even just a little too fast for you. You won't make the distance if you do. Slow and steady wins the race as they say.
I would also advise bringing lots of small snacks to eat on the move as opposed to a big lunch.

AndrewC

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply’s. Will be increasing the mountains and miles with each walk. On Sunday went from Deers Meadow to Bloody Bridge, following the wall, over Slieve Muck, Meelbeg, Meelmore, Bearnagh, Comnadgah and Donard.

On the day of the event if you start at 7am how tight is it to make the cut off at Ben Crom at 2.30?

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019 »

That was a considerable chunk of the Mourne Wall you done on Sunday. You would be well fit for the Sevens even now if you are able to do that.
That is the kind of long hikes I am on currently also as I actually am doing the wall on May 5th too.

SK Wildcamps

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019 »

A friend and I done it (well nearly) the last time it was run. we got 6 out of 7 peaks. Binnian broke us! and after that lamagan and the walk back over to donard just seemed to much. we did absolutely zero training! so id recommend doing abit lol. the 2.30 cut off isn't to bad if you go at a steady pace. and 100% bring bug spray or a net because we got eaten alive!
signed up to do it this year again but may put out due to a bad knee.

AndrewC

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019 »

Thanks, that's the bit of the route that concerns me. Should be a interesting day in the hills.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019 »

Good luck on Saturday if you are still doing this!
I will be doing it myself for the second time this year. I done it back in June for Cancer Focus NI.
Funny though, no matter how many times I do it, it never gets easier and I still always feel really anxious about it beforehand!

AndrewC

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019 »

Thanks,

Am really nervous, keep checking on the weather forecasts in a hope of finding a more positive one. Cant see me getting much sleep on Friday night.

Hope you have a good event. Thanks for the advice. Look forward to hearing how you get on.   

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019 by AndrewC »

AndrewC

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019 »

Well that’s the Seven Sevens done. On Friday I have never checked the weather so often and it was changing all the time. At tea time we decided that due to the thunder and lighting we would play it safe and not take part. Then another check of the weather and it was improving. Rucksack was packed and alarm set for 4.30am
Signed on at 6.30am and we where off at 7am in the rain. Straight up the Glen river and up Donard in a record time for me. Up Commedagh then down onto the Brandy pad and the rain had now stopped. Quick bite to eat at Hares Gap and it was up Bearnagh as usual it was a slow hard slog. Legs started to feel it on Meelmore and Meelbeg but we were making good time. Straight of the side of Meelbeg and across the bog to Ben Crom. Thankfully it was not as bad as I expected it to be. We made the Ben Crom check point at 1.45pm 45mins before the 2.30pm cut off.

It was then straight up Binnian and legs were now really feeling it and the pace was a slow plod. On the descent I was having pain in my left knee which slowed things big time. Then onto Lamagan and it saved a special sort of kicking for me in the way only Lamagan can. It was then a slow plod back to Newcastle in the heavy rain finishing just before 9pm.

We had done it! after may years of talking about It. Great event and very well run.

Lots of lessons learned for next year!!!!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019 by AndrewC »

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019 »

Congratulations! It is a great achievement!

I actually didn't do it. Because we had already done it earlier in the year (and The Mourne Wall also) we decided we didn't want to face the weather.
Looking back now of course I wish I had went!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019 »

Brilliant, well done. I'd love to have the level of fitness needed. Maybe next year ;)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]