Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Slieve Lamagan bivvy  (Read 10138 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Slieve Lamagan bivvy
« on: February 05, 2019 »

Back in the autumn the weather presented a great opportunity for a camp.  Lamagan was selected, being one of those summits that doesn't always lend itself to having the conditions suitable for a camp.  We started off from Carrick Little and followed a route up the valley, ascending via Lower Cove.  A stop off in Cove cave provided a bit of enjoyment and it was a different experience to do it in the dark.

As we climbed Lamagan from Cove Mountain the moon gave off a spectacular display as it rose behind us.  Several times we stopped and watched, astounded by the view.  Totally unable to capture it on camera we all agreed that you just had to be there to appreciate it.

We got set up just off the summit and with what we hoped would be a fine morning view over the Annalong valley.

The evening was the usual chill-out round a firelog and a restful night followed.  The next morning I was so excited to wake up just before sunrse and got to enjoy the whole spectacle.

The next day we explored Slieve Lamagan further, contouring the mountain before dropping down to climb up the Devil's Coachroad.  Here is a few photos of the trip.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dpSWWh]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dpSXi9]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RmwjQS]

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
Re: Slieve Lamagan bivvy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019 »

Wow! Great photos. The ground looked at bit uncomfortable!  Awesome sunrise! Seems like the weather was kind. 

NIPupper

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019 »

that sunrise was ethereal.

I've been wanting to hit up the Devil's Coachroad for a while but I think at the top there is a bit of scrambling which is beyond what the puppers can do. no joy.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019 »

Brilliant, the weather looked great. I've never done the Coachroad, only looked at it from below and above. Must give it a whirl one of these days.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019 »

that sunrise was ethereal.

I've been wanting to hit up the Devil's Coachroad for a while but I think at the top there is a bit of scrambling which is beyond what the puppers can do. no joy.
Yes it could get a bit tricky at the top for the dogs.  They have the measure of us on most other terrains however.

Brilliant, the weather looked great. I've never done the Coachroad, only looked at it from below and above. Must give it a whirl one of these days.
Nothing beats looking at it from below, then above having earned the bit in between.  Put it on that list!  Along with the Donard summit camp.

Wow! Great photos. The ground looked at bit uncomfortable!  Awesome sunrise! Seems like the weather was kind.
Weather was class, one of those rare ones when you get a lovely evening and morning.  The ground does look bad in the photos and it took wee while to get a few spots close by but actually everyone had a comfy spot to lie on.  Small footprints helped.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019 »

The photos are out-standing and that sun rise was worth waiting for. Looks like a perfect night was had! The ground does look fairly rocky though, may chance it with the tent later in the year. Cheers for posting, it's always informative.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]