Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sleeping bags  (Read 20592 times)

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
Re: Sleeping bags
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009 »

http://www.helsport.com/helsport/

These chaps might be up your street. They say they manufacture their bags from nylon which doesnt absord as much moisture and dries quickly.

Also I forgot to mention that men will be able to sleep more comfortably at colder temps than women. Something to remember when your looking at the lower limit temp of you sleeping bag.
As well as this you should maybe think of spending a little less money on your sleeping bag and investing that in the best roll mat you can find. Having the worlds best bag is all well and good but with no roll mat its pretty much usless. Down sleeping bags wont insulate when compresed so when you lie in it effectively your only insulated from 3 sides therefore a mat is essential, not sure if synth is the same but def invest in a decent mat!

Its pretty much common sense that insulation that you are lying on will compress, down suffers from it just the same as synth will. The problem might be accentuated by the fact that down will compress more (hence why it packs so small), but anyone that sleeps on the ground without a roll mat is plain stupid in my eyes as the ground will suck away a lot of your warmth. Any sleeping bag is pretty much worthless if any heat you have is being sucked away by the ground, something I know from plenty experience in cadets. From the meet on Bearnagh  I got the idea that people seem to think that because down compresses under you its useless if you roll over, but it will re-loft and keep you warm. Although more expensive, if you're going to be in a tent ( therefore dry unless it fails), I would always tell someone to buy down, PHD, Western Mountaineering, Cumulus, or Alpkit would be good places to start. If you are using a bivi bag then again down should not be taken off the list, and if you were clean baselayers in your bag, then it shouldn't need cleaned often at all. Down has a longer working life than synth, and is the first call for anyone on any serious expeditions. Although less useful at keeping you warm than synth when wet, both will be pretty shit if you get proper soaked, nothing thats wet will keep you warm, and it a down bag needs to get pretty wet for it to be useless

An insulating jacket/vest would be high on my list of things to get as well, (snugpak,primaloft or down filled.) If it gets lower than yoyure sleeping bag can handle then a insulating jacket will help keep jack frost away for the mean time.

If you're really going to be using it for a year or more, then I would think seriously about your kit choices. If youre in a tent, then you're going to be dry unless it leaks or breaks, which is a reason why I would maybe look at something better than the action pro, however it is plenty good to start with. This doesn't mean going for Hilleberg or Terra Nova, but something in the middleground. Likewise if youre sleeping out for a year plus I'd be looking at an exped downmat/synthmat to sleep on, they are top dollar but also the best matts you can buy, sure a £10 foam mat would do, but you'll be sleeping on it for a year. Anybody can rough it!

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009 »

Cheers ulsterwalker good info learned a wee thing there.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009 »

Western Mountaineering Antelope Super DL  

I was looking about and people seem to talk good things about this sleeping bag.

I dont know mush about temp, would this keep you warm in the winter ??
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009 by Wolf_Larson »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009 »

didnt know you were in the cadets mate, what detachment? I was in dromore det. f coy. Your 23 arnt you? we actually prob meet before!

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009 »

get yourselfs a good army 58 pattern sleeping system on ebay abit heavy but bloody warm!
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009 »

get yourselfs a good army 58 pattern sleeping system on ebay abit heavy but bloody warm!

I dont realy want army stuff.

What do you think of the Western Mountaineering Antelope Super DL   DEE666 will it do a cold winter here as its only a 3 season bag ?

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009 »

Ive been looking alot a sleeping bags latley and the Western Mountaineering Antelope Super DL, gets top marks everywhere can anyone find a bad thing about them bar the price. ?

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009 »

I dont realy want army stuff.

What do you think of the Western Mountaineering Antelope Super DL   DEE666 will it do a cold winter here as its only a 3 season bag ?

As Drybag said it rarely dips below -5 so it should do wiht a thermarest,gor-tex bivi and fleece or silk bag liner youi dhould be warm enough to sleep sound .
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009 »

Cheers Dee666

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009 »

given up on your plan to wash it on the trail then!

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009 »

Yeh i think warm is better as i cant have the best of both worlds  :'(

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009 »

i did mention getting a liner, then you can wash that no bother, ergo, the best of both worlds.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009 »

Cheers chris.

ergo, is that the make of the liner ?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009 »

nah ergo just means therefore.
I'm sure you'll find gazillions of liners about the place i think they are usually silk which is warmer, ligher and packs smaller but you pay more for and cotten which isnt a great wicker but is cheap and easy washed.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009 »

Cheers again chirs.

You learn something every day ( ergo )  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]