Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: crabbing  (Read 62452 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: crabbing
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011 »

workin on gettin my car back on road atm though.
thats why it wont be able to for a while yet.
so yea dowser deffo in a while.

how do ya catch mussels and winkles?

Any time that suits you Juh 101.  It would be a nicer experience when the weather gets a bit warmer anyway.  It's completely Baltic in Ballywalter at the mo!!!

Mussels and Winkles is a gathering process rather than catching.  Mussels and Winkles just cling to the rocks and you pull them off.  The same reef that I was telling you about off Ballywalter would be coming down with them.

Mussels make excellent eating but personally, winkles would be restricted to a bushcraft/survival foodstuff for me.  Great source of protein but not pleasent to eat.  Just my opinion  :) 

Cockles, which are also very tasty, can be gathered on the shores of Strangford Lough on the other side of Ards penninsula.  Bit more of a knack involved in collecting them, but well worth it.
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Juh 101

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011 »

you seem to know your stuff man happy days.
can make a rite day of it then lol.
winkles are the half shell 1's yea?
do u know the names or any of the bushcraft people on here?
btw im jason.
whats da name dude?
yea will be far nicer in the warmer days.and the evenings will b a lil longer also.
so what kinna trips do the guys on here go on?like is it intense walking and stuff like that?
do ya have to be quite fit like?
most people claim to be material.does that mean they will raise their children material?what happens when all material things come to an end?will they?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011 »

Winkles (Periwinkles) and are really just sea snails.  They look like this:

Normally you just boil them and pick them out of their shells with a pin.

The half shell ones you are thinking of are probably Limpets, again shown below:

You can usually kick these off the rock with your heel in a good pair of boots.  You can fry, bake or boil these suckers but they can be chewy.

These are your Mussels:

They grow in clumps and cling to rocks etc.  Usually boiled or baked.  Very tasty in a White wine and Garlic cream sauce.  Yum

And lastly, the Cockles I was telling you about

These little clams live under the sand and filter it for food therefore you have to do a bit of digging to find them but their are only hiding about 4 inches under so they are easy enough to sneak up on.

This has to be one of the best books you will ever buy on the subject:

do u know the names or any of the bushcraft people on here?
Celt_Ginger would be a keen Bushcrafter and posts regulary on here.

btw im jason. whats da name dude?
My names Andy.

so what kinna trips do the guys on here go on?like is it intense walking and stuff like that? do ya have to be quite fit like?
We get up to all sorts on here.  Camping, Bivvying, Kayaking, Fishing etc.  Everything Outdoorsy!!!  Our usual stomping ground is the Mournes and we would be up there about twice a month.  We do try and go further afield too.  We've been to Kerry and Scotland and are hopefully gonna be doing Snowdon sometime soon.

You definately don't have to an athlete to get out and about with us... Fitness levels range quite a bit through our members and you normally know well in advance what the outing is going to involve and what gear/kit you would need.
See the View

Juh 101

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011 »

thank u for all this info man.
finding it all so usefull and helpfull.
when i get all my gear and set up just rite i will hit the mountians wif u's
but would love to try the whole living off the land thing.
kina fasanates me.
i got oysters from tesco last nite.were in the reduced section.
i put a lil brop of tobasco on tp of them in their shells after prized them open an bona'pa'tete
was unreal.25p a pop.
suppose the outdoors shops are the best places to buy gear or would it b online?
most people claim to be material.does that mean they will raise their children material?what happens when all material things come to an end?will they?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011 »

i got oysters from tesco last nite.were in the reduced section.
i put a lil brop of tobasco on tp of them in their shells after prized them open an bona'pa'tete
was unreal.25p a pop.
suppose the outdoors shops are the best places to buy gear or would it b online?

I had fresh oysters with Wasabi sauce (Just as hot as Tobasco) at my work Crimbo dinner, so I know what your saying.  They are excellent!!!  :P

I'm probably the wrong guy to be asking about kit...  I swear by Army Issue gear.  You will notice a theme here: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1382

But when it comes to buying kit, a combination of both Outdoor Shops and Online is best.  If you really don't know what you are looking for the big stores like Cotswolds and Tiso can give you stacks of advice, so your not buying the wrong gear and having to change it 3 months down the line.  If your on a budget then go to the big stores, get the advice and the exact name of the item you want and Google it.  More than likely you will get the item a bit cheaper online.

If you have any questions about the right kit to buy start a new topic here: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=7.0  The Guys and Girls on here just love to talk about kit.  Only problem is, everybody has their own favourites, so you might get 10 recommendations for 10 different pairs of boots or jackets or tents etc.  Just don't be shy and ask away... Everybody has got to start somewhere.

Hopefully see you in the Hills or by the Shore soon enough  :)
See the View

mark malarkie

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021 »

Hi there Dowser

I found your post from way back & just wondering if you know if it's ok to eat the winkles from the shore around Annalong...there's loads of them there!
thnx
Mark

Winkles (Periwinkles) and are really just sea snails.  They look like this:

Normally you just boil them and pick them out of their shells with a pin.

The half shell ones you are thinking of are probably Limpets, again shown below:

You can usually kick these off the rock with your heel in a good pair of boots.  You can fry, bake or boil these suckers but they can be chewy.

These are your Mussels:

They grow in clumps and cling to rocks etc.  Usually boiled or baked.  Very tasty in a White wine and Garlic cream sauce.  Yum

And lastly, the Cockles I was telling you about

These little clams live under the sand and filter it for food therefore you have to do a bit of digging to find them but their are only hiding about 4 inches under so they are easy enough to sneak up on.

This has to be one of the best books you will ever buy on the subject:

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021 »

Yes Mark, they should be perfectly fine to eat, but make sure you don’t collect Dog Whelks by mistake: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whelk

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021 by Dowser »
See the View

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021 »

Give them a good boil and add plenty of salt to the water  :)
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]