Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Synthetic Convert!  (Read 5170 times)

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Synthetic Convert!
« on: October 12, 2010 »

I was away in Wales with work for a few days and I am now fully converted to the idea of synthetic Insulation! Namley Primaloft it is the absolute ticket! Absolutely no fuss, I pretty much lived in this primaloft coat I borrowed and it was awesome! Wacking it on over wet waterproofs, stuffing it in a bag with muddy boots and a wet rope, I even Climbed in it! No way could I have even thought about that with a down jacket.
As well as that I chose my synthetic sleeping bag over my down one, it was awesome, jumping in at night with damp trousers and socks, not giving a second thought then waking up in the morning with everything bone dry!
Its the future! No more down for me!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Synthetic Convert!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010 »

Thats what I have always said. ;D
No one goes inside to clear their head

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010 »

I tend to use a combination of natural and synthetic materials. We almost always have a fire and synthetic materials do not stand up to sparks and embers. It's Poly cotton trousers all the way for me and a synthetic filled Nanok jacket for warmth in the winter. The rest of the time it's wool and cotton shirts. For you guys that spend your time on the hills though, I can definately see the advantage of Synthetics over naturals.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010 »

what bag did use?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010 »

I've been looking at getting a Primaloft jacket as I still haven't got a proper insulation layer.  Originally I'd looked at down vests, but was a bit worried about getting one considering we live in a fairly wet country.  Got on to thinking about Primaloft when I saw Mr. Blacks Rab jacket when we camped at Lough Shannagh (at least I think it was Primaloft?).  Looks like the ticket!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010 »

what bag did use?

My wee snug pak one.

I've been looking at getting a Primaloft jacket as I still haven't got a proper insulation layer.  Originally I'd looked at down vests, but was a bit worried about getting one considering we live in a fairly wet country.  Got on to thinking about Primaloft when I saw Mr. Blacks Rab jacket when we camped at Lough Shannagh (at least I think it was Primaloft?).  Looks like the ticket!
yep its primaloft you want to go for, however again its not that simple! There are various different kinds of primaloft, but basically ignore everything unless its "primaloft one"!

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010 »

Got on to thinking about Primaloft when I saw Mr. Blacks Rab jacket when we camped at Lough Shannagh (at least I think it was Primaloft?).  Looks like the ticket!

Yup its Primaloft, its the only thing I always bring with me, great for when its cold and its not too warm to walk in. The thin material the jacket is made from worries me.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010 »

So whats a good recommendation for a winter synth bag that wont break the bank?

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010 »

I have two of the Mountain Hardware lamina bags. I almost exclusively use the 35 as I like to be cool at night. If it gets cold I normally throw on a silk liner.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010 »

At this rate there is going to be a run of Pipedreams in the Classified section ;)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010 »

Shhh, don't say anything until I've offloaded mine :D

At this rate there is going to be a run of Pipedreams in the Classified section ;)

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010 »

I have two of the Mountain Hardware lamina bags. I almost exclusively use the 35 as I like to be cool at night. If it gets cold I normally throw on a silk liner.

Beat me too it, the MH lamina series of bags are awesome!

[/quote]
Yup its Primaloft, its the only thing I always bring with me, great for when its cold and its not too warm to walk in. The thin material the jacket is made from worries me.
[/quote]

I was the same, the exterior of mine is pertex microlight, I'll admit that I was pretty sure I'd tear it straight away but since the coat wasn't mine I thought i'd put it through its paces! I even ended up climbing a few pitches in it with no problems at all.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010 »

My pertex smock (single layer) is over 3 years old and heavily used and hasn't worn through yet.  It's so slippy that it seems to avoid most of the friction.  Has been caught in buckles a few times: it will tear if you 'catch it badly and pull' but I'm careful as I am inside, and what punctures Pertex, punctures me  :D

I'm looking at the MH Lamina 20 to fill my 3/4 season synth void since the Softie Harrier proved finally dead.  The Lamina's are quite roomy so word is they are good to even lower temps as you can get in with a down jacket or ultralight race sleeping bag and it has space to loft.  I know Ray Jardine near had me out with the sewing machine, but I can get one of these for the same price as the materials to make my own.

Might also get a wee Montane Prism jacket with my special work deals... it's similar to the Rab generator that I think you're talking about.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]