Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Wet and windy on Doan  (Read 2574 times)

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Wet and windy on Doan
« on: January 10, 2012 »

Just a wee quick one this time with my mate Lenny,parked at the slievenaman road car-park,just up from Fofanny dam.Got one of the big easy geocache's,crossed the road and onto the Ott trek,which is one of my favourite paths into the Mourne's.The Ott trek itself breaks off after about five minute's so if you intend heading for the stile at Slieveloughshannon make sure you bear to the right as the left turn leads into the valley and require a steeper climb to get to the stile,rule of thumb is iyou've passed the big boulder turn back and take the right hand path ,it's easily missed,The trek itself is in pretty good shape,well at least until the peat bogs just below the loughshannon col,about 25 minutes you'll be at the wall ,which on a clear day boast's one of the Mourne's best view's.Today weather rain,windy,hill-fog,anyway nothing to do but enjoy a nice hot cup of Bovil

DSCN0275 by shannaghan, on Flickr
just wanteed to do a few hours today,so i thought Doan would be perfect as it's about an hour or so each way,we crossed over the stile,with Doan no where in sight,'but i knew it was cloaked in fog so we headed off along the Brandy pad before cutting off onto that strange 'beach -like ' landscape before Doan's peak

DSCN0289 by
shannaghan, on Flickr
Doan was starting to come into view now
DSCN0278 by shannaghan, on Flickr
Again there's a lot of erosion here,whether it's just from the landscape enviroment itself ,ie the raised peak bogs or caused by walker's i'am unsure.I've always tended to bear to Doan left side on the approach to it's lower peak ,then cross over to the right and scramble  the gully on it's stone capped peak,again we rested again,before making out way back down

DSCN0302 by shannaghan, on Flickr

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Wet and windy on Doan
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012 »

Aye that ott track can be confusing, unless you saw the map you would swear the left track goes to the col. caught me out before  :)  and are you sure that was the brandy pad you were on? i'm off to check my map  ;)
think outside, no box required

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012 »

Looks like a damp one alright John! Doan is some spot, one of the best mountains in the mournes!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012 »

Quite right Liam,but i've alway's called the inner Circle path the Brandy pad,as it more or less is connected apart from at Hare's gap where it leads down to the Shelter stone,it starts up on the Ben Crom side and leads to the bearnagh ,Meelmore col

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]