Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A truly epic adventure - 5th & 6th May 2012  (Read 9216 times)

kaya

• Newbie Poster
    • www.4elementsni.com

Four Elements Adventure present a truly epic and unique adventure on the Weekend of 5th and 6th of May 2012!

Experience all Four Elements like never before!

Take to the water  Sea Kayaking, get to grips with Earth rock climbing, feel the wind as you top a sea stack in the mighty Atlantic, the roar of the waves as you coaster the rugged crags and embrace warmth of a blazing fire as we set camp on a deserted beach.

Imagine descending huge sea cliffs to arrive at an outstandingly beautiful storm beach in the most remote and atmospheric locations in Ireland. Then launching from the shore to cross Open Ocean to land at the bases of towering granite sea stacks. Then climbing these towers of rock to arrive on pristine pinpoint summits far from anywhere in the real world.

Standing on a pinpoint summit over high above the ocean, half a mile from the nearest point of land and 20mile from the nearest main road can easily be described as a truly spiritual experience.

Abseiling back down to our kayaks we will traverse the coast and head for a deserted beach, make camp, catch our dinner, get the fire on and enjoys the fruits of the sea. The next day, after breakfast, we will set sail back to reality!

This is truly unique experience and you will get a chance to truly go where no one has been before.

All kayaking, climbing and camping equipment is included as well as expert guiding from Irelands leading sea stack and pioneering climber, Iain Miller, Unique Ascents.

Suitable for beginners with a moderate level of fitness and a high level of adventure!

Pickups in Omagh, Derry or arrange to meet us.

Places are limited.

Price

£150 P.P £125P.P for early booking (3 weeks prior)/own gear/2 or more group bookings will also recieve discount.

If you are looking for wild, look no further!

http://www.4elementsni.com/four-elements-ultimate-adventure/

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012 by LandyLiam »

greensprite

• Newbie Poster
  • Have camped once with NI wild
Re: A truly epic adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012 »

That looks stunning, I checked out the site but can't work out where to go.  I'm way down in Newcastle Co Down.

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012 »

That does sound amazing and pretty good value.

I'll not be able to go this time, but will spread the word
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

kaya

• Newbie Poster
    • www.4elementsni.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012 »

This event takes place on the West coast of Ireland, there will be limited places for pick ups from Omagh and Derry to suit those on the East of coming from over the water.

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012 »

Looks like an excellent opportunity to see some of Ireland's wildest and most remote coastline.

Iain Miller was the man who guided me into the biggest sea cave on the antrim coast a few years ago. You'll not find a more enthusiastic and supportive guide than Iain.

For those of you not familiar with the coastline between Glencolumcille and Ardara, you will be impressed. I'm assuming from the photos and the write up that this is the location.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012 by andymcinroy »

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012 »

I'm actually trying to get freed up to go on this now. It's really appealling to me. Fingers crossed boss says yes...
Craig
-----------------------

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012 »

it is very very tempting, but i have a prior engagement that weekend  >:(
think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012 »

I'm working that weekend or I would have loved to have went

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012 »

Yeo. Actually got off work that weekend. Will email you guys.
Craig
-----------------------

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012 »

Sounds amazing.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

greensprite

• Newbie Poster
  • Have camped once with NI wild
Re: A truly epic adventure - 5th & 6th May 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012 »

Is anyone from Co down area going to this?  I really fancy it and may be free wondered about transport way up yonder.

kaya

• Newbie Poster
    • www.4elementsni.com
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012 »

This event is now fully booked. Keep an eye for more unique adventures like this throughout the summer!

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012 »

This was a fantastic weekend!
Friday was absolutely flat out for me and I couldn't relax until I made it onto the last bus to Omagh. I found a lovely little wooded spot just outside the town to bivvy for a few hours, before getting picked up by Mark in the morning. There was quite a convoy gathered on route as we wound our way NW!
Once 17 people had their gear sorted and wetsuits donned, we started the paddle over to our island. Most of us were on sit-on-tops, with the gear ferried in a canadian-catamaran setup. Due to the swell, the gear couldn't make the harbour so we portaged it a short distance to camp and set up.

I went with Iain in the first climbing group and we trekked to the other side of the island to seek out a sea-stack (Iain's speciality). We paddled across one at a time in a small inflatable and parked it out of reach of the rising tide, before starting our climb. It wasn't overly difficult, but there were some good moves to figure out and we had brilliant views - what a location! We down-climbed the other side, and once transferred back to the main island, climbed up the cliff there - an adventure of many parts.

By the time we got back to camp, the others had finished their coasteering and had a huge fire-pit BBQ well under way  ;D  With stacks of food and a few bags of logs, the good times continued to the soundtrack of corn-crake until people started retiring after midnight.

I was up at 6:30 - and by up I mean opened the midge net door to the sunshine and rolled over cook up eggs, gammon and tea for breakfast  ;D There was a light frost in the night, but the air soon warmed and today I set out to kayak around the island. We explored coves and caves, and paddled under huge arches under the curious gaze of nesting skaggs. Around the back of the island we beached on a rock shelf to try a cliff-jump and swim into a small cave. Biscuits may have been consumed at this point. All safely relaunched, we continued around the far side of the island and weaved around the sea-stacks to watch the other group climbing. Finally, we completed our circumnavigation to find a large crab and a lobster in the pot left out the night before...something new to try for our late lunch!

I paddled back to the mainland with another guy to get more water, braving some choppy swell. Everyone was in a relaxed mood on return, and with so many people, starting anything else would have required another night out, so we enjoyed the sun and banter and set-to clearing camp completely and readying the gear for our journey back. The wind and current with us, we made it quickly back and got stuck into sorting out the boats and gear like a crack team.

We had great fun, trying great activities, in a top location. Even the weather was perfect - I managed to get sunburn on my hands, which usually never happens. Couldn't believe waking up on Monday to the torrential downpours of Belfast, where I had to wear full waterproofs just to get to the shop, that I'd been jumping into the crystal-clear, sunny sea on the far side of the country just the day before.

Many thanks to Mark and Iain for the great weekend! Highly recommended  8)
Craig
-----------------------

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012 »

no photos please, i'm already jealous enough as it is  ;D
think outside, no box required