Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: First Solo Camp 26/02/10  (Read 6717 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
First Solo Camp 26/02/10
« on: March 01, 2010 »

I finally got around to doing my first solo camp. On Friday evening I hotfooted it down to Newcastle with a tarp and walked up to the Tullybranigan River on the slopes of Slievenabrock and Slievenamaddy. It was much darker than I had expected so when I set out at first I was going to just stop at our usual spot in Donard Wood but when I arrived there was already people round a fire and I didn't want company so I sneaked off. The plan had been to skirt the forest on the slopes of Slievenamaddy but there had been extensive logging done that wasn't on the map (or Google Earth) so I eventually had to drop down onto the forest path. It's bloody hard navigating in the dark and to be honest, I probably took an overly long route, but then again, where's the fun when it's easy :) I also underestimated the slope where I wanted to camp and had problems finding somewhere clear and flat enough to pitch.

Once I got settled it was great fun. Nowhere near as scary as I thought it might be. I'd brought a hobo stove and a kilo of firelog and that topped up with a few sticks from the surrounding area was enough to keep going for about 4 hours. With a reflector fashioned from a disposable BBQ I found it was actually quite toasty. A few hours infront of the fire with just Jack Daniels and some prog rock on the iPod was incredibly relaxing!

It's good to get out of your comfort zone occasionalls - I'd hightly recommend it!

Edit : Big thanks to BillyBackpack for being my potential mountain rescue if things went South. It's comforting to know that someone capable knows exactly where you are!

There will be more photos on the Flickr group.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010 by J »

andy1984

• Top Poster
Re: First Solo Camp 260210
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010 »

nice one J. looks like fun!

What sleeping bag have you got? Was it warm enough?

I tested out the argos tent on friday night..... from the comfort of the garden though!!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010 »

It's an Alpkit Pipedream 600 in an Alpkit Hunka bivvy bag. Well toasty and with the bivvy bag, totally waterproof (supposedly - haven't fully tested that yet!). I was more than happy with my kit choices so I'll put a post on later in what I carry these days as after a year of experimentation I think I've got quite a good beginner setup - might save people some of the wasted money I've spent on crap that didn't work :)

nice one J. looks like fun!

What sleeping bag have you got? Was it warm enough?

I tested out the argos tent on friday night..... from the comfort of the garden though!!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010 »

well done mate I knew you had it in you! love the pic of the hobo stove it's been a while since i've had mine fired up.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010 »

i slept in the garden on friday night with just a crappy mummy syle sleeping bag that i got from argos about 10 years ago!!

I think it was a slumbalux mountain or something? I'd love to know what it is rated too because in just my boxers it was just about warm enough... although i dont think it got down to 0oC on friday night.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010 »

It's the first time I've used mine for anthing other than amusement. I'd reckoned that because I was on my own I wouldn't want a big, noticeable fire or to be plundering around in the forest in the dark so a small burner seemed a good option at 175g or so. I brought the kilo of firelog because I've been musing on a way to be on a mountain peak and have a fire of some sort (you know how much of a firebug I am). So 4 people carrying 250g of log would be enough to keep the hobo burning warmly enough to boil water etc for about 3 hours depending on how hot you run it - more if you can find some other flammable material about. The windshield from the Trangia Mini worked well as a heatshield too.

well done mate I knew you had it in you! love the pic of the hobo stove it's been a while since i've had mine fired up.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010 »

looks like a good trip, I ment to txt you back but i've no money in my phone! Iwas actually in donard carpak playin football when i got your txt so I was in prime location for a reply!
I've been looking into tarping now I've a couple of walking poles, some of the ones you can buy are nuts, look like something you'd see on doctor who!
Funny you should mention about carrying fuel for a mountain trip, I was saying to 666pack that we should look into a summit BBQ, You have a Yukon Firebox dont you? And If everyone carried a kilo or so of charcoal you'd be sorted, what do you think?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010 »

No worries on the texting front - after it rained so hard on Friday in Belfast I started to get a bit paranoid that I might need the canoe :) As it turned out the weather was awesome. The poles I have are just Trekmates cheapy ones. Only problem with them is they're 300g a piece which seems heavy but I've not tried any of the better quality ones.

A summit BBQ sounds awesome - can't believe we haven't already done that. I have a Yukon but's its quite weighty at 2.3kg. We might be better with a big disposable BBQ and extra charcoal. We should defo get this planned, it's a fantastic idea!

looks like a good trip, I ment to txt you back but i've no money in my phone! Iwas actually in donard carpak playin football when i got your txt so I was in prime location for a reply!
I've been looking into tarping now I've a couple of walking poles, some of the ones you can buy are nuts, look like something you'd see on doctor who!
Funny you should mention about carrying fuel for a mountain trip, I was saying to 666pack that we should look into a summit BBQ, You have a Yukon Firebox dont you? And If everyone carried a kilo or so of charcoal you'd be sorted, what do you think?

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010 »

Where did you get your tarp John

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010 »

Looks like great craic - can't wait to try a tarp out some time myself, but the amount of kit I'm gathering is already getting out of hand without getting any more :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010 »

Its a 3m x 3m from DD Hammocks @ £29
http://www.ddhammocks.com/products

It's a well made tarp with plenty of fixing points and only weighs 650g + pegs. I love to be able see around me and the flexibility of having a shelter from the rain that you can sit a few people under is useful.

Where did you get your tarp John

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010 »

No worries on the texting front - after it rained so hard on Friday in Belfast I started to get a bit paranoid that I might need the canoe :) As it turned out the weather was awesome. The poles I have are just Trekmates cheapy ones. Only problem with them is they're 300g a piece which seems heavy but I've not tried any of the better quality ones.

A summit BBQ sounds awesome - can't believe we haven't already done that. I have a Yukon but's its quite weighty at 2.3kg. We might be better with a big disposable BBQ and extra charcoal. We should defo get this planned, it's a fantastic idea!

Does it not dismantle? I'm sure we'd be able to work it someway that we could split it up. I was thinking the likes of the fire box would not only be good to cook on but would radiate heat better than a disposable bbq.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010 »

Actually, it does dismantle so it folds flat so it could be split between people. It doesn't have a massive cooking area but it would prob do.

Does it not dismantle? I'm sure we'd be able to work it someway that we could split it up. I was thinking the likes of the fire box would not only be good to cook on but would radiate heat better than a disposable bbq.

MG1

• Hero Poster
Re: First Solo Camp 26/02/10
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010 »

Sounds like you had a good nite mate
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
Re: First Solo Camp 26/02/10
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010 »

Fair play to you J .............. Looks like you had a great site and a very enjoyable night !!!!!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]