Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: where to buy knife in Northern Ireland.  (Read 26771 times)

pablo

• Sr. Poster
Re: where to buy knife in Northern Ireland.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011 »

This is mine...

It's D2 Steel Enzo Trapper with Wild Olive & Red Micarta Scales...

Bought the blank and shaped the scales myself also added a brass eyelet and cord...

Took an age to get a good edge on it, but it holds it for ever...!!

The Scandi grind is great for light chopping, carving and even splitting the odd branch and some times ash logs or other suitable grained woods.
Also great for meat, but not so great for veg as it slices the length of the grind, then kinda chops the rest...

Cost me about £120 tho for the bits, plus about 2-3hrs to put together, but it was worth every penny...

120 quid???? lol you wuz robbed!

id recon 4 quid for the steel,a quid for the handle materiel,a quid for the vulcanized liners and maybe 10p for the brass lanyard tube.

and to be honest the grind is a little high,you want it about 8mm on 4mm steel (only my opinion).

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011 »

This is mine...

It's D2 Steel Enzo Trapper with Wild Olive & Red Micarta Scales...

Bought the blank and shaped the scales myself also added a brass eyelet and cord...

Took an age to get a good edge on it, but it holds it for ever...!!

The Scandi grind is great for light chopping, carving and even splitting the odd branch and some times ash logs or other suitable grained woods.
Also great for meat, but not so great for veg as it slices the length of the grind, then kinda chops the rest...

Cost me about £120 tho for the bits, plus about 2-3hrs to put together, but it was worth every penny...

Looks sweeeeet!  8)
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011 »

This has been a great Thread...  I've really enjoyed it.  Has left me itching to make myself my own personalised bushcraft knife.

Here's a site offering loads of blanks and bits and bobs just to let you see what's out there:

http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk/acatalog/Knife_Making_Supplies.html

I'm sure there are many more out there on the interweb. 

If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right and create something that could last a lifetime, so if anybody who knows a thing or two about knife making fancies giving me a bit of advise on what I'm looking for that would be great.

I would be looking a multi-purpose blade blank of a decent length and weight - Approx 7-8 inches (Not including handle) made of top quality steel/metal that will hold an edge.  Advice on the quality of the steel is my main request, as I know very little about this area and I don't want to waste my time creating a work of art that is not fit for purpose.

8)

If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Drongo

• Top Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011 »

Have a look at www.brisa.fi

They are the main stockists of Enzo knives and have some easy to make kits using the blank I've got...

I also fancy a Enzo folder, but can't justify it ATM

All you need is some araldite (slow set) a few clamps and some sandpaper...

I'm Not Drunk...!!!  I'm Irish, there is a Difference...

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011 »

Have a look at www.brisa.fi

They are the main stockists of Enzo knives and have some easy to make kits using the blank I've got...

I also fancy a Enzo folder, but can't justify it ATM

All you need is some araldite (slow set) a few clamps and some sandpaper...

Excellent... Thanks Drongo  :)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011 »

uncle rays blades are made of 01 tool steel 4mm thick and about 230 mm long.

there are various places to buy blanks already heat treated,so all you need is a couple of bits of vulcanised fibre and wood (or horn,or plastic)

a cheap way to source wood is to simply get a few samples from a shop that sells wooden flooring,or if you know any floor-fitters (which is what i do) ask them to keep you a few bits of well grained oak,maple birch,ash,mahogany,cherry,walnut .......you get the picture.

if youd like to do it all from scratch you can order 01 from phoenix steel on the internet but it will cost you about 12 quid postage which is why i buy plenty when im ordering it.

also,you,ll find 3mm easier to work with and every bit as durable as 4mm(which is too thick in my experience)

for more info id recommend bernie garlands forum which will tell you everything you need to know about knife making,though id steer clear of british blades which i consider to be unhelpful and authoritarian IN MY OWN OPINION i might add.

there are a few threads on here of my blade making,might be interesting to a few...

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011 »

If you're considering an everyday carry legal knife you should take a look at the Spyderco UKPK; it is an awesome piece of knifeness  ;D

If you want a good knife that won't let you down AND stay on the right side of the law the UKPK's are the way to go.

They do a cheaper version at only £40ish. Steel's not as good but still a great knife.

I carry my UKPK every day so staying legal is very important. Apart from my multitools I only have a few locking folders. The way I see it is if I have 'good reason' to carry a locking knife I can just bring a multitool and a fixed blade  ;D

While the blades on multitools are great; my Leatherman Charge TTi has S30V steel. They can become uncomfortable if using for prolonged periods.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011 »

nice! but no green handled one?

ive used my ukpk everyday and two days ago the handle clip broke on it from excessive use and strain, plus the blade is about half an inch shorter from sharpening it but its by no way a cabinet queen and gets opened everyday for something of other.

saying that though, its absolutly rubbish for bushcraft unless your only going to use it to slice mushrooms.... but then its not designed for anything like battoning carving or chopping.

ps, heres the link to the thread i mentioned earlier...http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=268.msg6840#msg6840

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011 »

No green, yet  ;)

The G10 models have been discontinued and I don't fancy a Titanium one  :o  My black one is everyday carry and the orange is a back up. The maroon FRN UKPK was sold not long after that family pic.

Would quite like a Spyderco Urban or even their newer Squeak; perfect for when you don't want to scare the bejesus out of someone  ;D

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011 »

yeah but does it say `Golden, Colorado U.S.A Earth` on the other side of the blade????? lol.

thats half the reason i got one .......good luck finding a green one. the G10 handles are far superior in every way too.

by the way , ive also got a couple of the `byrd` knives which are a subsiduary of spyderco. Not the same steel,but reasonably priced workers ,only drawback is that they lock.

as for legal carry? the cops were called to craigavon shopping centre to apprehend a knife carrying skinhead recently. when they saw me in my work trousers with a mora clipped on one leg,a spiderco clipped in my pocket and three stanley knives with different blades in each - they had to concede i had reason to carry every one of them, i might even have got away with a tommahawk in my belt too lol though i,ll try that when my cold steel trailhawk arrives later in the week. :P

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011 »

Just had a search; it's Maniago Italy on the other side  ;D
You see UKPK's for sale on some US forums. The down side is UK customs have confiscated a few calling them a gravity knife  ::) The easiest solution is to get the seller to tighten the pivot before sending  ;D

They are releasing the Byrd Tern; non locking, G10 scales with CR13 stainless steel, flat grind, leaf shape blade. Coming in around £26  :)

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011 »

now thats one im definatly getting! or two...

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011 »

Bit worried about going camping with all you guys,never seen as many knifes in my life,more a 12 bore over & under berrata man myself,lol

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011 »

I'm not so sure I am into shotguns.

A nice knife is a lot more useful.

Idiots wanting to run around like rambo thinking they are going to kill a willd boar with a foot long blade, have gave knives a bad name.

Want to cut trees down, get a saw. 

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011 »

you'll be alright near me john, the sharpest thing i bring camping is a plastic spork, anything sharper i'd only end up injuring myself  ;D
think outside, no box required
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]