Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Canadian Canoe - Choosing Paddle Length  (Read 8692 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Canadian Canoe - Choosing Paddle Length
« on: June 08, 2009 »

In my quest for a new paddle I've now come across the problem of what length to choose. Does anyone know how to decide what length is best?

Neiltoo

• Newbie Poster
Re: Canadian Canoe - Choosing Paddle Length
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009 »

Mine come up to my collar bone which seems to work well for me on flat water. I only paddle flat water so don't know if this would be suitable for white water - I'm sure there are many here able to give better advice. ;D
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009 »

roughly chin height - its a rough guide.  Chin height for me  is about 1 foot, chances of getting a standard paddle - slim!
Fun is not a straight line

cruben

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009 »

Paddle length I think varies as much as paddle shapes. A lot depends on your paddling position, sitting on the seat ,high kneel ,low kneel or sitting on the floor, all would require different lengths.Also the depth of and density of the water .short wide blades being most favored in rivers and white water, leaving longer narrower blades more usual in lakes and flat water ,for paddling at a more lesurely pace.
I use a paddle which is up to my nose when I am paddling solo.I find it makes it much easier to contol the canoe as I can reach further , giving me a longer stroke for sweeps and bow rudders. It also makes the j stroke that bit more effective being able to reach closer to the stern
I like a bit of flex in the paddle as it acts as a shock absorber, a bit like running on grass instead of roads
They can also be expensive, you don't want to wreck your good one in rocky rivers, so a tough hard waring one for rivers and a quality one for lakes is whats needed.
I know I have'nt answered your question yet ,but I agree chin hight is a good place to start. A little lower for racing and white water and a little longer posibly for crusing and flat water.
Try a few and see what feels good, its a pleasure paddling with a favorite paddle

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]