Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Ist solo day in Mournes.  (Read 6700 times)

Wolverine

• Newbie Poster
Ist solo day in Mournes.
« on: April 24, 2013 »

Finally got some time to myself today and headed for Meelmore lodge to begin my first trip alone in the Mournes.

I set off from Belfast and arrived at Meelmore carpark around 11am, got kitted up and set off up Trassey track at 11.15am. My plan was to head for Hares gap, then make a left with my goal being the summit of Commedagh.

The going underfoot wasn't too bad but got rather more soggy on the immediate elevation to hares gap. At this point I passed a stationary gentleman and his lady friend/wife? who seemed to have reached her limit for the day given their demeanour. Anyways, up I went.

Ok so I get as far as Hares gap and have a wee rest and a drink, check the map, take a few photos then pick up my lungs for the onwards and upwards. I actually enjoyed the next steep section up those steps where you start to feel the elements a bit more even though my legs might disagree.

I have been to the summit of Donard twice before in poor conditions/visibility but this was my first time in this area of the Mournes and the visibility was great. Cloudy overhead but otherwise spot on. During this phase of my journey I appreciated why so many people probably head out on solo hikes.  I felt no restrictions to what I wanted to do, I could go at any pace and rest at any stage with absolute flexibility and shouldered no pressure at all. Such basic requests are to be treasured.

I walked along merrily trying to take in the stunning views all around me, pausing on occasion for a few snaps. As I approached the final ascent to Commedagh I chatted briefly to a retired gentleman coming in the opposite direction who had just completed 3 or 4 peaks already including Donard and was going for more! Respect old man.

I reached the windy summit at 1pm with a wee smile and sense of achievement and sat myself down on the sheltered side of the wall for a sandwich, 2 pieces of cake and a can of Pepsi. It was during this pause that I started to revise and eventually alter my return journey, ( oh dear ). To cut a long story short I decided to do a Bear Grylls type scramble down the back of Commedagh and Pot of Legawherry ? And head for the Spinkwee river area.

The descent was quite slippery and steep and windy and cold and soggy and did I mention slippery? Well after a few hairy moments and about 6 falls on arse I reached the bottom of the steep bit, too late to change mind again now. ( Irony ) - If you get in distress there aren't many people around to help you, although if you fall repeatedly on your arse there's also no one around to laugh at you ! )

The rest of the journey to Spinkwee was pretty miserable underfoot and my lovely desert coloured timberlands that I chose for the day were, well not desert anymore. I basically wanted to have a look at the a camping site that I have read so much about, hence this route change. ( I'm blaming the altitude for my poor decision making ).

From this point I chose what I thought would be an easy route back to Meelmore which in fact turned out to be complete B***s as I ended up getting briefly lost in Tollymore. Eventually I found the right path and walked the rest of the way to the car park, which was considerably longer than I anticipated.

Today made my affinity for the Mournes even greater for they truly are majestic.

Even taking into consideration my several Frank Spencer moments I had a really great day out and another objective ticked off the list. I'm looking forward to my next adventure already.
 ;)

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Ist solo day in Mournes.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013 »

Great write up wolverine,nice to get a we solo day in the Mournes,the pot of Legawherry is a real nightmare to get through,credit & karma for even trying it.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Ist solo day in Mournes.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013 »

A crackin write up and your right its still a fair wee dander from Spinkwee back to the car at Meelmore. Did you get a wee peek at the campsite what did you think??   Had a wee camp there not long ago a beautiful sheltered wee valley , a bit of an oasis really. :)   

Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

t18con

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013 »

just for future reference, there is a back way down commedagh, but not the way you took, taking in the summit of shanslieve and the other wee hill whose name I cant remember, for we started out to do that same walk last Saturday

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013 »

Slievenamaddy?  Slievenabrock?

Sounded like a good day out, I like the flexibility to go as you feel and change the route.  Meeting other people is nice too, and it doesn't take away from the wilderness feel of it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Wolverine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013 »

Thanks Mourneman, mind you my body feels like its had a punishment beating today, LOL.

Glenn, yes I think I did see a wee spot. Noticed a flatter grassy area beside the water and evidence of a previous small campfire? It certainly is like a hidden oasis with plentiful firewood, water and shelter. You left it in great condition sir.

I'm sure there are easier ways down the back of Commedagh and in fairness I had considered going on over Shanslieve. Next time Ill hopefully stick to my original plan though. Cheers.

GMB

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013 »

Nice one mate!

Sounds like that detour at the end might have warranted another couple slices of that cake once home  ;)

Well done.

Wolverine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013 »

I guess the beauty of any trip is the many variables that your original planning doesn't necessarily cater for. You don't know who you'll meet along the way or where you'll meet them and most that you do meet have a story or advice to share.

You also can't anticipate with any certainty exactly how you'll be feeling mentally and physically at given stages hence my impromptu diversion. I was still feeling adventurous and energetic when I reached the Commedagh summit and wanted a further challenge.

In reference to needing more cake at the end, your not wrong, in fact I could've ate the beard off Moses if the truth be told. LOL. :D

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013 »

Good write up. I haven't done a solo walk in a while. Give you a karma...

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013 »

An adventurous day out indeed. Glad you enjoyed it!
Experience is the best way to learn, and all those wee problems will give you a better idea for next time what each decision will involve.
The navigation probably wasn't given as much consideration as required due to the good visibility for a change! Have had that problem myself before...get carried away when the sun is out  8)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013 »

This excellent writeup has been immortalized for all time in the NI-Wild Blog. You can see it here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/04/first-solo-day-in-the-mournes/

Please contact if you would like any changes or a login for the Blog

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013 »

Well done mate nice write up
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]