Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Lower Lough Erne Canoeing  (Read 5309 times)

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
Lower Lough Erne Canoeing
« on: April 25, 2012 »

HI all,

Convinced the wife to go camping to Castle Archdale next weekend.
It's not a wild bivvy up the Mournes, but it'll do for a start.

Anyways, I'll be bringing my canoe with me, anyone know of any good picnic spots/canoeing routes?
We'd be leaving from Castle Archdale

Thanks

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
Re: Lower Lough Erne Canoeing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012 »

I've camped there before, lovely spot.

Is it not pretty expensive though? I know we only canoe'd around the shore in this direction and that. No actual routes.

Do make an effort to go see the church at White island. We sailed there and it took us maybe 20 minutes so I suppose its reasonable canoeing distance if you have the time.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012 »

Thanks Oisin,

Yeah, it's pretty expensive, working out at £30 a night for a four man tent.

There's only the two of us, but I'd rather spend the money and ensure the my wife has a pleasant camping experience. The place came well recommended, so hopefully she won't be turned off. It'll be a while before we're bivvying on Doan, but we have to start somewhere!

Thanks for the tip of White Island. I'll check out some maps and hopefully it won't be too far a paddle. Fingers crossed the weather will be calm enough to get there and back safely.

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012 »

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1293&bih=721&wrapid=tlif133535356435910&q=white+island+fermanagh&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x485e4c7c98c6a9dd:0xa549b3c679ca8032,White+Island&gl=uk&ei=3eCXT-WCJZCg-wbFoJjVBg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEMQ8gEwAw
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As messy as that link is, thats White Island and Castle Archdale. I'd say its 1.5miles tops, and depending on the wind it could be an easy paddle. Or there is a ferry service that operates there to white Island and back for £4 per person which is reasonable enough.

Boat Ferry Times:
During Easter Holidays: 10am - 6pm

Weekends in March, April, May and June: 10am - 6pm

Daily during July and August: 10am - 6pm

Weekends during September: 10am - 6pm

I'd definately agree that it is expensive, but the facilities are good. I dont think I could afford a week there, but then again there are plenty who can because its always busy.

There is a small shop with some provisions and a cafe beside (can't remember if there is a pub or not). Along with cycle hire and boat hire (again cant remember opening times)

A family cycle trail is located throughout the forest, its great craic, lovely scenery and nothing too strenuous. 6 miles in total, (Circular route) but there is always different tracks you can take to shorten that distance.

You have two starting options, either from the Marina in Castle Archdale Country Park or from Old Castle Archdale. Both locations have interpretation panels mapping out the cycle route. Posted directional arrows clearly signal the route.

The route description:
http://www.cycleni.com/116/castle-archdale-family-cycling-trail/

The route map:
http://www.cycleni.com/d/routes/116/Castle_Archdale_Family_Cycling_Trail.pdf

Hope you both have a great time and all that information wasn't overwhelming.  ;D
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012 »

Not at all,

Cheers Oisin - looking forward to it

wmclaughlin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012 »

There is some information on the Lough Erne canoe trails here: http://www.canoeni.com/canoe-trails/lough-erne/. Another campsite in that area you might want to check out is Drumhoney. It's between Castle Archdale and Lisnarick, on the opposite side of the road from Castle Archdale. The facilities have underfloor heating and are excellent. One downside is that it's a bit more exposed than Castle Archdale if the weather is wet and windy. The prices are a bit more reasonable too. I haven't camped in Castle Archdale in years but was in Drumhoney last year and was impressed with the site and the staff.

Have an enjoyable break. It's always nice to get away - especially if there's a canoe involved.

Willie

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]