Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne Peak BBQ'n'Bivy Challenge  (Read 3484 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Mourne Peak BBQ'n'Bivy Challenge
« on: April 19, 2010 »

We've been considering seeing if we can bivy on the top of all the major peaks in the mournes.

After discussions we're also thinking of combining it with Chris' idea to have summit BBQs. At the mo the thought is for quick overnighters - bounce up after work on a Friday night, eat and bivvy, then back down first thing Saturday (or Sat / Sun). For the BBQ plan we're thinking that if we split the gear between us it shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010 by J »

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
Re: Mourne Peak BBQ'n'Bivy Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010 »

I love the way you use the word Bounce!

When you thinking of this and what summit? Please dont say Donnard

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010 »

All the major summits at some stage!

I love the way you use the word Bounce!

When you thinking of this and what summit? Please dont say Donnard

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010 »

I'd say start with bernagh as its (IMO) the easiest one to get too, i.e secure parking, easy walk in 20min push and your at the top. Everyone bring some meat and some brewskies. I was thinking that if we split the group so some bring charcoal and some bring those bags of sticks we could bung them on after for a bit of a fire (or do you think you get more heat out of a fire log?) one or two people could even bring a section of log? Just a bit of a brain storm.

Does any one have an old BBQ that we could just take the legs off? I was thinking that the firebox although good on one hand may be a bit small, so if we were just able to prop the circle bit of an old bbq up we'd be flyin!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 »

Sounds like a plan. Between us all I reckon we could easily carry both enough charcoal and firelog to have a BBQ and fire after. We could defo also come up with some sort of lightweight BBQ idea rather than carrying a whole B&Q effort.

I'd say start with bernagh as its (IMO) the easiest one to get too, i.e secure parking, easy walk in 20min push and your at the top. Everyone bring some meat and some brewskies. I was thinking that if we split the group so some bring charcoal and some bring those bags of sticks we could bung them on after for a bit of a fire (or do you think you get more heat out of a fire log?) one or two people could even bring a section of log? Just a bit of a brain storm.

Does any one have an old BBQ that we could just take the legs off? I was thinking that the firebox although good on one hand may be a bit small, so if we were just able to prop the circle bit of an old bbq up we'd be flyin!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]