Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Easter 2010 Fri/Sat Overnighter 2/3 Apr  (Read 12665 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Easter 2010 Fri/Sat Overnighter 2/3 Apr
« on: March 29, 2010 »

We will be doing an overnighter from Fri - Sat 3rd & 4th Apr - location undecided, route undecided.

In the event of no suggestions we will likely start at Meelmore and walk to Annalong Wood either over Hares Gap/Beg/Cove/Lamagan/Binnian or Hares Gap/Brandy Pad/Annalong Valley.

Contact me for info.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010 by J »

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
Re: Easter 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010 »

Hopefully, I'm gonna go to the Wicklow Mountains for a few days.   Picked up a second hand book called The Wicklow Way, it seems odd that - that book- was  in that shop - it must have been a sign.....

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010 »

Well me and Kat are off to Scotland on Saturday to start our week on the West Highland Way.  Thought would check the long range forecast, but then I saw this on the BBC News website :)  Actually, I'm hoping the weather will be bad this week as it increases the chances* of it being better the following week.

*No scientific evidence to back this up I'm afraid, purely instinctive!

A blast of wintry weather is expected to hit parts of the UK later this week, dashing hopes for some sunshine as British Summer Time gets under way.  The Met Office has issued an early weather warning for Tuesday as heavy rain and snow is expected to fall over northern England and southern Scotland.  BBC Weather's Liam Dutton said hilly areas could see up to 50mm (2ins) of rain or 20cm (8ins) of snow.  Meanwhile, temperatures may drop to close to freezing in some parts.  Areas expected to be worst hit include Darlington, Durham, Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, Dumfries and Galloway and the Scottish borders.

Mike, I've been looking in to doing the Wicklow Way as well, so make sure you let us know how you get on.  I wasnt quite sure what the situation would be with camping, but from what I gather if you are going to be in a tent it may require some stealth :)  Definitely a sign finding that guide book though, you gotta do it now!

Hopefully, I'm gonna go to the Wicklow Mountains for a few days.   Picked up a second hand book called The Wicklow Way, it seems odd that - that book- was  in that shop - it must have been a sign.....

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010 »

What about a day at a climbing wall?
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010 »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010 »

What about a day at a climbing wall?

I'm in!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010 »

Looks like me and Billy Backpack are going to try and get a tramp/camp sorted on Friday-Saturday. As usual, allcomers welcome!

At the moment we're thinking of the Annalong Horseshoe (the one over Binnian rather than through the Annalong Valley). Route would be starting at Carrick Little car park going over Binnian, Lamagan, Cove, Beg, Brandy Pad, Rocky and finishing in Annalong Wood for an overnighter. Next day either just straight back down to Carrick Little or back over Rocky and down the Glen River to Newcastle. It's quite an ambitious route but worth a try I think.

We're thinking of parking at Newcastle and getting a taxi to the start point as it's a notoriously dodgy spot for car thieves.

Allcomers welcome of course.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 by J »

chris

• Hero Poster
Re: Easter 2010 Trip Ideas
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010 »

Hmmmm... Think I might be climbing at fairhead on friday however this is weather permitting. I'f Im back in time I might try and get down to the forest, if I can't join you for the walk.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010 »

Looks like me and Billy Backpack are going to try and get a tramp/camp sorted on Friday-Saturday. As usual, allcomers welcome!

At the moment we're thinking of the Annalong Horseshoe (the one over Binnian rather than through the Annalong Valley). Route would be starting at Carrick Little car park going over Binnian, Lamagan, Cove, Beg, Brandy Pad, Rocky and finishing in Annalong Wood for an overnighter. Next day either just straight back down to Carrick Little or back over Rocky and down the Glen River to Newcastle. It's quite an ambitious route but worth a try I think.

We're thinking of parking at Newcastle and getting a taxi to the start point as it's a notoriously dodgy spot for car thieves.

With a trek like mate, it looks like your preparing for CMD arette  ;)
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010 »

Considering how bad the weather is looking I'm trying to persuade Andy to do something a little easier. It's supposed to be rain and snow right through the week so I daresay there'll be a few new rivers about ::)

With a trek like mate, it looks like your preparing for CMD arette  ;)

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010 »

Have you and andy decided what you guys are going to do now mate? Still the trek you had planned or some else?

Also thinking there if climbing wall for a day has been mentioned, what about days climbing wall down at tollymore it's a good wall also. 

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010 »

The weather has been so changeable we can't decide what to do. We're definitely doing an overnighter somewhere, just not sure where.

Have you and andy decided what you guys are going to do now mate? Still the trek you had planned or some else?

Also thinking there if climbing wall for a day has been mentioned, what about days climbing wall down at tollymore it's a good wall also. 

LeeBeard

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010 »

Im busting to get out for an overnighter,   but tis a bit far for me at the min. Guess this means i can spend friday and sat marking coursework instead... whoop whoop! :'(

have a great time.

p.s canoeing was much fun thanks

Lee

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010 »

Was great to meet you. I'm defo up for the canoeing again - next time its the kayaks down the white water course rather than gentle paddling!

Im busting to get out for an overnighter,   but tis a bit far for me at the min. Guess this means i can spend friday and sat marking coursework instead... whoop whoop! :'(

have a great time.

p.s canoeing was much fun thanks

Lee

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010 »

We're not doing the Annalong Horseshoe now as the weather has been a bit wet and we're not sure what the conditions will be like. If anyone else fancies a trip let me know - we are still definitely doing an overnighter somewhere and we're open to suggestions as to where and either with or without a walk.

In the event of no suggestions we will likely start at Meelmore and walk to Annalong Wood either over Hares Gap/Beg/Cove/Lamagan/Binnian or Hares Gap/Brandy Pad/Annalong Valley.

Some potential routes attached to this post.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010 by J »
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]