Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4161 times)

Moonpie

• Newbie Poster
Hello
« on: March 23, 2016 »

Another lurker coming in. I'm 49, from Dromore Co. Down and enjoy walking and wild camping in the Mournes, although I'm always looking for new areas to explore.  Most recently got myself a walking buddy in the shape of a labrador so a bit limited to distances/durations as she is only 5 months old, but the companionship is well worth the wait.

Came here after a few searches around gear and wild camping spots so I welcome any help with those topics as my pack never seems to go much below 25Kg and most of the spots (Annalong Forest) I seem to find are littered with beer/food cans and even a tent that somebody obviously thought wasn't worth carrying back to the nearest bin.

Fred

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016 »

Welcome to the forum. That pack sounds awfully heavy. I don't think I have ever carried as much as that, even on multi day trips.

Fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016 »

Welcome Moonpie. Alas, rubbish is not a new thing and I don't see it stopping any time soon. All the popular spots are always a bit of a tip, it's very frustrating.

As far as weight of pack goes, it's always hard to get the weight down, especially at the start. The best advice is to take everything out every time you come home and make a note (mental or otherwise) of what you didn't use. After a few trips you'll start to see stuff you routinely lug all over the place but don't really need and it can be left at home  8)

If you post a kit list I'm sure the ultralighters will soon come along and give you some advice :D

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016 »

Welcome to the forum.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Moonpie

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016 »

Welcome Moonpie. Alas, rubbish is not a new thing and I don't see it stopping any time soon. All the popular spots are always a bit of a tip, it's very frustrating.

As far as weight of pack goes, it's always hard to get the weight down, especially at the start. The best advice is to take everything out every time you come home and make a note (mental or otherwise) of what you didn't use. After a few trips you'll start to see stuff you routinely lug all over the place but don't really need and it can be left at home  8)

If you post a kit list I'm sure the ultralighters will soon come along and give you some advice :D

Stopped over Friday night in Fofanny forest and there wasn't as much rubbish as Annalong so might be my new go to spot.

As far as the weight goes my pack is over 30 years old (Karrimor Jaguar) as well as my trangia but they're in pretty good condition so changing them isn't an option.  I haven't really figured out how much water I need so I'm keeping an eye on that, normally around 4 litres.  Food is usually a protein bar (breakfast),  a Pasta and Sauce and a chocolate bar  for dinner are pretty much all I carry, (dog carries her own  :D).  I'll keep an eye on the forum for useful hints and tips for gear but right now I'm looking for new boots as my feet got absolutely soaked on Friday.    ::)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]