Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: 100km  (Read 6490 times)

Allyc

• Jr. Poster
100km
« on: June 21, 2012 »

hi guys, theres a hike coming up in september time, the 100km challenge, its a walk starting in newcastle, over the mournes, into kilbroney park, then a boat across till carlingford, and over the cooly mountains,, its something like that  ::), am not 100% sure on the details yet, my question is, can you camp half way or over night? or is it the full 100km in one go!!! also has anyone got a spare set of legs i could use  ;)

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
Re: 100km
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012 »

Think this is the event you are talking about:

http://www.oxfamireland.org/trek/

I looked at doing this last year (when I was fit!) with a few guys in my work.  Unless it has changed it was a continuous effort, walking through the night non stop.  Team of 4 to avoid any diffs with morale and injuries and you have a support crew of a further 4 who meet up with you at 7 or 8 different spots to top you up with water, food and good karma.

If my memory serves me right, the night section is on a relatively easier section of the route...

Good old challenge to undertake...my calculations (again based off when I was fit!) led me to reckon sub 30 hours was achievable
Do not feed the bear

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012 »

Think there's now the choice of the 50 km route as well,which I wold consider doing if we could get another three to form a team,anybody?

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012 »

WOW, thats a biggy. Sounds good but hard at the same time.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012 »

Here is a youtube video from UTV Live of the first year of the event. You will see me at the first checkpoint.

Allyc

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012 »

oh  :-\  :-\  :-\ i thought newcastle car park till warrenpoint was half way at least..... this is all my mates idea  ::) we have done the mourne challenge twice,, and that was tough going........ ?????????? not sure about this one????

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012 »

I was right up for this but after watching the video I decided I just couldn't work the Hi-Vis vest into my delicately balanced layering system....so I'm out ;)

Oh aye and it sounds like a right git of a walk, although I noticed one of the participants in jeans and a pair of Ugg boots, maybe it isn't that bad at all :D
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012 »

There was a group of them wearing jeans and I raised concerns about this but it went unnoticed. I haven't volunteered since. They just want to get as much money in. There are a lot of paid staff at the checkpoints, There are also  companies that provide all the tents and equipment for these events. I always thought that these events were done on a voluntary basis...

Allyc

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012 »

i think that it is through the mountains, not actually over the top of them, the mourne challenge was over the top of some of the mountains,,, so maybe , its just not that bad!!!   i hope   :-\

8thsinner

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012 »

Sounds like a nice idea but not sure I am fit enough just now, longest I walked once was temple to finaghy in one stretch but that was along the road and only out of stubbornness.
I might like to do something like this with a small team and stretch it out to a few days or a long weekend.

Allyc

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012 »

yea 8thsinner thats wat i thought it was, walk over the mournes, camp around half way then the next day finish the other half in carlingford, that wud be best, but there not going to change that for me  :(   sure its worth ago!!

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012 »

No it is not over the mountains, just around them. Are are a few bits of it on the road. You can have a driver who you can meet at the different checkpoint. The idea of this is that you can change your clothes or footwear.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]