Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: brandy pad  (Read 2000 times)

clav

• Newbie Poster
brandy pad
« on: November 03, 2011 »

going up donard in the morning from trassagh, anything i should watch out for ? (hope the forcast is right!!)

ChuckMcB

Re: brandy pad
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011 »

Couple of spots along the Brandy Pad that I like to stop at:

1) About a mile from the Hare's Gap the Brandy Pad gets really sandy and there is a massive boulder you have to walk around. Stop at the boulder and turn left, following the wee stream, after only about 10 yards it leads to an opening and a big break in the rocks that the steam tumbles down from. You can walk right into it, no more than a couple of foot across. Not particularly jaw dropping, but I think it's a cool wee place. There's a patch of grass there, been thinking about it as a winter bivvy sometime. (spoiler pic)

2) If you are feeling energetic on the way to Donard hang a right (or on left on the way back) towards Slieve Beg and have a look at the Devil's Coach Road, it will add less then a mile onto your journey and not that much of a climb....and is jaw dropping close up.

Other than that, if the sky is clear when you get to Donard Summit, don't just stay at the tower at the corner of the wall, 'cos there is hardly any view, head for the Lesser Cairn and you get a cracking view over Newcastle/Dundrum etc.

(ps. don't forget to pluck a wee rock out of the Trassey River to put on the cairn at the top of Donard...the real tradition is to take one from the beach at Newcastle but your route is much nicer)

Have fun, take pics.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]