Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Camping Suggestions for 1 Night Trip to Mourne Mountains Please  (Read 23904 times)

joeylee67

Hi all,

I am planning a camping trip to the Mourne Mountains however would like some help and suggestions from other more experienced members on the forum.  The idea is to leave on a afternoon, camp overnight and then leave in the morning.  Could anyone suggest any ideal routes / campsites for this?  It is preferable that the route isn't too intense (something that wearing trainers would be suitable for).  If this is not possible in the Mourne Moutains, suggestions for other locations is very welcome  :)  Many thanks to you all!

Regards,

Joey Lee

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

Welcome to the forum Joey!

What sort of places do you like to camp - organised sites or wild?

chris

• Hero Poster

As long as you pretty much stick to the paths you'll be fine. What are you looking for in a camp site?

1.Annalong valley is good, Park at carrick little and walk up the path about 45mins. I usually camp on the grassy flats beside the river, plenty of firewood and fresh water.
2.Donnard wood is even easier but you'll not get the same "sense" of being in the mournes.
3.The trassey track gives a few options either camping by the river somewhere or follow the path all the way to hares gap for something a bit more adventurous.

How are you with a map? if you want a grid for any just shout.

joeylee67

Wow!  Thanks for all the replies guys!  I would prefer an organized campsite this time round due to security.  In a campsite I am really just looking for security, my ideal camping trip would be wild camping, however I'd like to ensure my friends and I are safe as it will just be the 3 of us.  Therefore, camping facilities can be at a bare minimum, we would love to be able to start our own campfire and cook / just sit around and chill.  I am decent with a map as I have completed my Duke of Edinburgh bronze...though that seems like centuries ago now  :'(  Here is a list of what I would ultimately like:

1.  Own campfire
2.  A hike that can allow for a days worth of exploring
3.  Campsite facilities can be at a minimum (security is most important)

I am able to read maps, grids etc so that is cool.

andy1984

• Top Poster

Hello and welcome Joey,

I wouldnt worry to much about security when wild camping somewhere remote, it is more a mental thing that you have to get over, i'd say if you do it once, you wont look back.

However, if you are looking for a campsite i would suggest either:

1. Meelmore lodge - I've stayed here a few times and its a nice but basic site. It looks right onto the mournes up to hares gap, and if you pick a spot near the edge of the campsite its the closest thing to wild camp you will get without actually wild camping! It has basic shower and toliet block and also a cafe which is open weekends i think? its £5 per person per night.The owner will allow BBQ's and the burning of fire logs.
The campsite has its own access path into the mournes which you can head up to hares gap, climb a few peaks if you wish of follow some of tracks round the valley sides.
I would suggest you get a OSNI mournes activity map 1:25,000 scale and a compass to get a better idea of the area.
http://www.meelmorelodge.com/campsite.htm

2. Bloody bridge campsite - Its at bloody bridge over near the base of donnard. I havent stayed there so i can't comment but i think it is a basic site too which does allow small fires / fire logs. think it might be £6pppn
From there you can hike up to the wall and climb donnard of down into annalong valley, again a map would be needed really.
http://www.bloodybridge.com/html/campsites.html

hope this helps

Andrew.

Wow!  Thanks for all the replies guys!  I would prefer an organized campsite this time round due to security.  In a campsite I am really just looking for security, my ideal camping trip would be wild camping, however I'd like to ensure my friends and I are safe as it will just be the 3 of us.  Therefore, camping facilities can be at a bare minimum, we would love to be able to start our own campfire and cook / just sit around and chill.  I am decent with a map as I have completed my Duke of Edinburgh bronze...though that seems like centuries ago now    Here is a list of what I would ultimately like:

1.  Own campfire
2.  A hike that can allow for a days worth of exploring
3.  Campsite facilities can be at a minimum (security is most important)

I am able to read maps, grids etc so that is cool.
Posted on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:54 PMPosted by: chris  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010 by andy1984 »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Meelmore is a great spot, I've not been to Bloody Bridge but I hear it is good also. I've heard that Bloody Bridge has a few pits you can use for an open fire and Meelmore will sell you firelogs to burn in a BBQ but they definitely have a no fire policy. Basically if you want a fire then an organised campsite is unlikely to allow you. Also, they do tend to be noisy at night (regardless of what they advertise).

I'd agree that in the inner Mournes security isn't much of an issue as you don't see many people and the ones you do see tend to be enthusiasts too (why else would you walk so far carrying a shedload of stuff ;)). Why not come on a day or evening walk with us so you can see we're not all lunatics (mostly  ::)) and once you're comfy you can all come on a trip.

Here's photos from the last family type trip we had:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1036.msg9171#msg9171

You can see the organisation of it here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1036

joeylee67

Once again thanks for all the suggestions, I will look into these and update you all / request further information if necessary.  This is really my first time planning a camping trip all by myself so it's rather daunting on what things I need to look out for.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

No probs, ask away. Glad to help!

Once again thanks for all the suggestions, I will look into these and update you all / request further information if necessary.  This is really my first time planning a camping trip all by myself so it's rather daunting on what things I need to look out for.

MG1

• Hero Poster

Tullymore is pretty good, but you can't lite a fire. You have the Mourneway running through it to explore or go off road and follow your own route into the hills.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]