Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saturday 29th May - Silent Valley  (Read 9152 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Saturday 29th May - Silent Valley
« on: May 26, 2010 »

Seeing it's a Bank Holiday weekend Kat and I are going to take a trip to the Mournes.  Some time last year I was flicking through an outdoors magazine in the newsagents that had a route taking in Binnian.  The magazine didn't seem worth buying, but the route did look good so as you do I took a photo of it on my mobile phone ;)

Plan is to start at the Silent Valley car park on Saturday 29th May, probably aiming to set off around 10am.  Following the route on the map below we will head over Slievenaglogh then cut between the Silent Valley Reservoir and Ben Crom.  From Ben Crom we will head up to the col between Slievelamagan and Binnian before making our way up the North Tor, over Binnian, Wee Binnian and Moolieve before arriving back at the car park.

According to another photo I took in the same magazine the route is 9 miles with 3345ft of ascent and should take between 6-7 hours.  If the weather is good a BBQ in the car park after wards might not be out of the question!

So any one up for it?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010 by suspectmonkey »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Saturday 29th May - Silent Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010 »

Looks like a great route. The views will be awesome. Is this planned for Monday? Unfortunately I've got the boy so will be housebound playing Warcraft :)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010 »

* Chuck is not off on Monday...grumble grumble

Would be very tempting to stop at the top of SV Reservoir to pause for a moment to ...erm...'loosen the boot laces'...but really just watch out for the bus to take you to the foot of Ben Crom...would save having to walk up that road. :o

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010 »

I could be in for this........ it depends on how much of a dent I put in 200 exam papers and reports though.

Matthew

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010 »

Bring them with you and mark them en route  ::)

I could be in for this........ it depends on how much of a dent I put in 200 exam papers and reports though.

Matthew

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010 »

ha ha that's a good call, summit marking has win written all over it.

Matthew

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010 »

Just go through them all and write "Must try harder" in red pen on each one. I know that's how teachers marked everything I handed in :)

ha ha that's a good call, summit marking has win written all over it.

Matthew

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010 »

I doubt I would get away with that, no doubt someone would complain. Reports are all computer based now so ctrl+c & ctrl+v could be my friend.

Ooh I hate exam invigilation  though I suppose I cant complain, having Mon -Wed off!

Matthew

editing because I cannot spell
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010 by matthewrblack »

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010 »

Is this planned for Monday?

Quote from: Chuck
* Chuck is not off on Monday...grumble grumble

I think I confused things by mentioning the Bank Holiday :D  Planning to do this on Saturday 29th!

Matthew, you should def come along.  We will give you a hand with the marking en route ;)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010 »

Ohh yea..opps..my grumbling wouldn't have helped with that confusion  ???

invidulation invigilation
8/10

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, Matthew, cheap shot but I couldn't help myself because of the subject matter.  ;D I owe you a mars bar.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010 »

It's okay, Kat just texted me to tell me she is looking forward to Monday!  I've amended the first post to make it a bit clearer now ;D  So does Saturday suit you any better Chuck?

8/10

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, Matthew, cheap shot but I couldn't help myself because of the subject matter.   I owe you a mars bar.

Excellent, I was dying to point that out so I'm glad to see some one did :D  Teachers these days, eh :P

ChuckMcB

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010 »

So does Saturday suit you any better Chuck?
Unfortunately not, my Dad's doing his first wild camp in  Y E A R S on Saturday night at the Pot of Legawherry, so I'm going to be over that direction with him pretending I know what I'm doing. :P

Teachers these days, eh :P
It's ok for you...I'm the one who's gonna be woken up one night in the hills by a black board duster being chucked at me.  :o

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010 »

What's the Pot of Legawherry like? I can see it on the map but I've never been there.

So does Saturday suit you any better Chuck?
Unfortunately not, my Dad's doing his first wild camp in  Y E A R S on Saturday night at the Pot of Legawherry, so I'm going to be over that direction with him pretending I know what I'm doing. :P

Teachers these days, eh :P
It's ok for you...I'm the one who's gonna be woken up one night in the hills by a black board duster being chucked at me.  :o

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010 »

It's okay, Kat just texted me to tell me she is looking forward to Monday!  I've amended the first post to make it a bit clearer now ;D  So does Saturday suit you any better Chuck?

8/10

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, Matthew, cheap shot but I couldn't help myself because of the subject matter.   I owe you a mars bar.

Excellent, I was dying to point that out so I'm glad to see some one did :D  Teachers these days, eh :P

I knew I had spelt that wrong at the time... I was supposed to go back and correct it,, typical I get asked a stupid question, return to my laptop and without thinking hit post.... ooh well..

Fixed my original fumble.... dam the lack of spell check :P
Matthew
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010 by matthewrblack »

ChuckMcB

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010 »

What's the Pot of Legawherry like? I can see it on the map but I've never been there.
It looks like nothing on the map...but it's actually quite cool...Hmm...may not be able to do it justice with my description tho (some photos from my recce last week) Imagine a ring of quite rocky cliffs and gullies around the edge of a flat 1/4 mile (ish) area (enclosed enough to get an echo). A steam runs through it falling down quite steeply to the valley below (turning into the Spinkwee?). It's seems to have only got one or two good pitches that are right at the water's edge, the rest of the area seemed quite boggy, but plenty of dry flat spot a bit deeper into the Pot. Some of the pics here show views down into it from the wall.

Folks seems to do it by coming up from Tollymore....but I prefer coming across from Trassey Track and contouring around the valley to it only because I hate walking through woods, prefer having a view.

Fixed my original fumble.... dam the lack of spell check :P
What browser are you using Matthew, Firefox allows you to install dictionaries that automatically underline misspelt words. IE may have similar add-ons. (anyone else see my subtle sucking up to Sir tactic?  ::))
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010 by Chuck »
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]