Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Camping Weekend 8/May/10 - Food Discussion  (Read 7824 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

Original thread on the camping weekend is here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1036

This is the thread to discuss what we all fancy food-wise for the weekend of the 8th. As usual, everyone can suit themselves and bring their own stoves / food but I think we had a good (if long winded) laugh the last time with the spit roasting chickens so we should do something lilke that again!

There was quite a vote for leg of lamb last time, the spit roasted chicken did work, we just didn't prepare properly so I still thing that has distance.

All ideas beneath!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010 by J »

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Camping Weekend 8/May/10 - Food Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010 »

Tweeders and I have been chatting and the plan is to bag us some rabbits.  Depending on how things go we are aiming to get four.  I'm gonna try and get a couple on the way down to Newcastle but if it doesn't work out I'm gonna have a selection of BBQ meats in the boot of the car as backup.  If we get the bunnies as planned, then obviously they will be shared with anybody who is brave enough to eat them.

I'm looking forward to some of Kat's banoffee  ;D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010 »

Sounds awesome. Wish I'd steered towards that pheasant I saw at the side of the road now ;)

Tweeders and I have been chatting and the plan is to bag us some rabbits.  Depending on how things go we are aiming to get four.  I'm gonna try and get a couple on the way down to Newcastle but if it doesn't work out I'm gonna have a selection of BBQ meats in the boot of the car as backup.  If we get the bunnies as planned, then obviously they will be shared with anybody who is brave enough to eat them.

I'm looking forward to some of Kat's banoffee  ;D

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010 »

I may be able to add to the rabbit numbers if I get time to get out for a shot on Friday.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010 »

Sounds awesome. Wish I'd steered towards that pheasant I saw at the side of the road now ;)

You would've had to get someone else to pick it up to though, Its against the law for the driver of the car that hits the phesant to pick it up! Little known fact there.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010 »

In fairness I'd rather deal with the police for lifting it than the wife for bringing it home.

You would've had to get someone else to pick it up to though, Its against the law for the driver of the car that hits the phesant to pick it up! Little known fact there.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010 »

In fairness I'd rather deal with the police for lifting it than the wife for bringing it home.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/roadkill-one-from-the-road-414972.html
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010 »

would you eat an animal that you found lying at the side of the road though? there is a dead badger just outside my house, I've managed to resist its lure!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010 »

lol i dont think so, you never know how long its  been lying...

if i hit it myself though and it wasnt too badly mashed, i'd think about it!  ;D

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010 »

I've never eat bunny before but i'd be up for trying it :D

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010 »

Think I might be having a go at a leg of lamb as it has been threatened a number of times before.

I must say that Saturday nights kebab done via a trangia was pretty awesome so that could happen also!

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010 »

Think I might be having a go at a leg of lamb as it has been threatened a number of times before.

I must say that Saturday nights kebab done via a trangia was pretty awesome so that could happen also!

It surely was, No half measures there, I even had Chilli Sauce and a garnish of wild Garlic buds in my Pitta.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010 »

I think I might just cook on my stove for this one ;)  I just cant take the smell of cooking chicken for several hours with nothing in my belly!

I think I might go for some steaks fried up, mashed potato and gravy on the side and some corn on the cob.  Sounds like a job for the Trangia :)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010 »

I will be up late, so will just cook something when i arrive.  Maybe a little Fois Gras, and rack of lamb, washed down with a cheeky wee Bordeaux

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]