Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Hi there.  (Read 3965 times)

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
Hi there.
« on: January 04, 2016 »

Hello all, I'm an avid solo camper with a dog usually in tow. I usually stick to campsites although I'm open to a bit of wild camping and would like to try it, although being female I suspect I'd feel unsafe unless I was somewhere completely out of touch with civilisation (which would be a dream!). I enjoy exploring Donegal coastline areas and living in the west of NI it's pretty accessible. I'm a tent nerd with a collection of vintage tents as well as a selection of tents for every eventuality and now mainly use my 4m Bell Tent as it's a good allrounder and I prefer to have something I can stand up in. I have a Vango Halo 300 for overnighters, and a pick of a few others for the like of the Sunflower Festival or a long family trip with my older teens. I write a camping blog and have been a member on here before, I forgot my log in details. I remember you lot were mostly male and into walking whereas I can't walk the length of myself. Putting a tent up has me out of puff! However, I still love the outdoors and any time spent in it is time well spent.

My next trip out will hopefully be a campsite behind a hostel in Derrylahan, near Slieve League cliffs where I  hope to do the Pilgrims Path (crash the Christmas present fitbit and probably need an ambulance) and explore round the Maghera Sea caves near Ardara. After that I'm heading Portsalon way to take some photographs around Fanad Head, the beaches and Lighthouse. I might head down to Doolin this year as well, it's a dream to go to Inishmore to see the rock formations there. I'm possibly going to Kerry, where a family I know of have just bought a 120 acre valley near Kenmare and plan to open it up partly as pre-erected Bell Tents glamping but also offer spaces round the farm for a wild camping experience - helped by the inclusion in the sale of a lake with it's own plantation of trees all around it. So many places to explore so we need a decent summer.

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Hi there.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016 »

Hi Campervic.  Welcome (again) to NI Wild.

I remember you were on here a while ago.  I met a few of your chums also one time when I had the family up at the campsite in Dungiven.  A nice friendly bunch all right.

The west of Ireland really is spectacular, you could never tire of finding new places to see.  We camped last year down in Westport and Galway and used it as a springboard to see round us.  In my teens I backpacked down around Galway and Clare and got out to Inishmore for a couple of nights (youth hostelling),I have special memories of that place.

Decent summers, that's what we all dream of!
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016 »

Welcome Vic, I used to be a campsite person (with a caravan, sssh don't tell anyone) until I tried the wild camping, now I find it very weird going to a campsite, I feel much safer in the wild! Bit of a tent nerd myself but more into the modern ones. This Kerry place place sounds great, roll on that Summer, although I do prefer midge free Winter camping  :)
think outside, no box required

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016 »

Thank you for the welcome second time round. I'm up to my eyes with studying this year and next but still hope to get a bit of exploring done. I don't mind campsites generally, I do like peace and quiet and sometimes that's hard to achieve although I do welcome a good conversation with my fellow camping neighbours. I appreciate a loo and a shower and a water tap nearby.

I avoid big commercial well groomed sites and anyway, I'm hardly there except to sleep. I spend my days finding new places to see, photographing and maybe a bit of sketching too. I'm partial to a pub dinner in the evenings before making my way back 'home' where ever that may be.

The nearest I've been to non-campsite camping is behind the pub camping, which is nearly the same thing.

I'm not here to promote anything, the forum or the facebook page or blog, just need to get a camping fix if I'm not able to do too much camping this year. However the blog, which I'll only post this once, might be of interest and it can be found at http://campingnut.blogspot.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016 by Campervic »

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016 »

Welcome back lol.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016 »

Welcome. Sounds like you have some really nice spots to explore, sounds great.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]