Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Poll

Please vote for your favourite "Landmark" Photograph below

Entry 1
- 7 (22.6%)
Entry 2
- 0 (0%)
Entry 3
- 4 (12.9%)
Entry 4
- 1 (3.2%)
Entry 5
- 2 (6.5%)
Entry 6
- 1 (3.2%)
Entry 7
- 1 (3.2%)
Entry 8
- 0 (0%)
Entry 9
- 3 (9.7%)
Entry 10
- 9 (29%)
Entry 11
- 2 (6.5%)
Entry 12
- 1 (3.2%)
Entry 13
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: April 08, 2011

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: MONTHLY PHOTO COMPETITION GALLERY - MARCH 2011  (Read 19699 times)

cerbera147

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Re: MONTHLY PHOTO COMPETITION GALLERY - MARCH 2011
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011 »

Mine was No. 9 Chaine Memorial Tower, Larne.

A respectable 4th  ;D

Can't wait for next months  ;D

big chris

• Top Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011 »

I voted for number 9, I thought it was a good clean shot, centralised with a good field of depth, unlucky not to win  ::) To all entrants very well done on taking the time and patience to enter, depending on theme for next month I might have a go  ;D

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011 »

I was No.8 (Slieve Donard Hotel), didn't get a single vote (didn't even vote for myself  ;) ) serves me right for trying to be arty and put the steps in.

I voted for No.10 so I picked well. I though No5 (H&W Crane) was great too, and No1 (snowy rocks) was also a strong contender for me.

I had a pic almost identical to 12 (chrome ball) which i nearly entered, that would have been interesting. There's an idea, it would be great if we all had to take a pic of the exact same thing, logistically difficult though.
think outside, no box required

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011 »

Cheers for the votes guys 'n gals, No. 10 was my photo of Scrabo Tower.  It was a 20 second exposure and most of the light you can see on the tower and the clouds was coming from a fairly full moon just out of frame on the right.  I like that you can see the Exit light in the 5th floor window of the right tower, didn't notice that until I got home.  Unfortunately the perspective is a bit off (kindly pointed out by Dowser, he is a hard man to please ;)) so I could do with giving it a bit of a tweak!

Just thought I would give a few thoughts on the photos, hope you don't mind?  Just my unqualified opinion :)  I think the photos this month were some of the best quality we've had yet, hope we get as many entries next month!

Photo 1 - Really liked this photo and I had to think hard to choose between it and the one I eventually voted for.  Great choice of subject and perfect conditions with the sky and snow.  Lovely contrast.  Only thing I might consider is the composition and maybe moving the tor to the right hand side of the frame so it's less central.

Photo 2 - Nice choice of landmark, definitely thinking outside the box.  Will have to visit here sometime!  Think you've picked a great subject, but just maybe need a better day for it weather wise.

Photo 3 - I love the action in this photo, and I can definitely taste the sea salt on my lips just looking at it!  Was it a coasteering trip?  Very subtle choice of landmark, took me a minute to find it, very nice idea.  Again it was definitely on my shortlist to vote for!

Photo 4 - Nice to see a local (to me!) landmark making an appearance!  Tricky landmark to photograph as its quite closed in by trees.  Could perhaps do with a bit of a straighten in Photoshop or suchlike to ensure the edges of the tower are vertical, and maybe re-jig the composition keeping in mind the ROT.

Photo 5 - Love the choice of landmark and the atmosphere.  I'm surprised there weren't more entries of one of the most famous landmarks!  Love the wind turbine blades in the foreground, would love a snoop around them sometime.  I'd maybe have stuck the crane more over to the right of the frame so that the turbine blades lead you into the subject, but depending on the original you might be able to crop it.  (Whilst on the subject, I found this video on Youtube!  It's probably done the rounds before, but first time I'd seen it.  Wee bit of Belfast language in there, so I'd cover your ears ;)).

Photo 6 - Definitely wins the prize for the furthest away landmark!  Nice capture of an iconic mountain, just think it could maybe be spiced up slightly with a bit more interest in the foreground, or perhaps lower the horizon to lose some of the foreground.

Photo 7 - I would say this could be one of the lesser known landmarks even though its so close to Belfast?  I certainly hadn't visited it until we went up together!  I think this is a great perspective of something that is tricky to photograph.

Photo 8 - Nice idea, I love night photos!  Good thought given to the composition, I like that you've included the steps although think there is perhaps a few too many of them.  I'd probably crop out the tree on the left and lose a few of the steps.

Photo 9 - Couldn't work out where this one was taken?  Looks familiar, but not sure...  Looks like it was taken at a good time of day, nice mellow lighting makes for an interesting sky.

Photo 11 - This is the one I voted for in the end.  I think this is a great approach to what is probably our best known landmark, a subject that has probably been photographed to death.  Your photo feels fresh and I think B&W was a great choice with lovely texture.  Really liked this!

Photo 12 - I like that the usual NI-Wild stomping ground slipped into the background!  Nice choice of subject and I love the detail of the sky that has been captured in the chrome.

Photo 13 - I liked your comments about the Italian PM fourman ;)  Like how you captured the statue with the sun behind it, makes for a striking outline of the statue.  Just a pity the shutter hadn't clicked a second or two beforehand to capture the people walking by it before they moved into the shadow of the statue.

Anyway, hope you don't mind me giving my opinion.  It's all very easy saying these things looking at a photo on the computer but I know in reality it can be tricky to move the sun, add a great sunset and move your subject a few inches to the side :D

fourman

• Top Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011 »

your all gettin very artistic great photos well done suspect . i put myself out on limb with the late entry unlucky 13 ! it was taken after a major night night out on the prosectto.look forward to the next one. pick your topic well

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011 »

Great photos all! I took a landmark photo and all, but only got the slides back... need to scan them this week.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011 »

Cheers for the votes guys 'n gals, No. 10 was my photo of Scrabo Tower.  I like that you can see the Exit light in the 5th floor window of the right tower, didn't notice that until I got home. 

:(  I thought that was Slimer
"Not all those who wander are lost."

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011 »

Cheers for the votes guys 'n gals, No. 10 was my photo of Scrabo Tower. I like that you can see the Exit light in the 5th floor window of the right tower, didn't notice that until I got home. 

Photo 9 - Couldn't work out where this one was taken?  Looks familiar, but not sure...  Looks like it was taken at a good time of day, nice mellow lighting makes for an interesting sky.

Mine was of No.9 the Chaine Memorial Tower in Larne. If you've ever taken the ferry out of Larne you will have sailed right past it  ;D

Without sounding thick when you say the Exit Light do you mean the emergency green exit light as seen in most public buildings? That makes sense for Scrabo Tower but I got a similiar green light when photgraphing Chaine Tower at night  ??? There is no public access and yes it did freak me out a bit as I never really noticed this eerie green light in this famous local landmark  :o

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011 »

when you say the Exit Light do you mean the emergency green exit light as seen in most public buildings?

Yep, I was referring to the emergency green exit lights, although in your case I think whoRya might have hit the nail on the head - that looks like Slimer to me ;)

You are totally right, I've sailed past that tower on numerous occasions and never paid much attention to it!  Will have to open my eyes next time :)

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011 »

Cool i love spooky shit
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011 »

This will require another visit after hours tonight  :o

spartan00117

• Top Poster
  • Ah well, shit happens
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011 »

Great competition guys, Scrabo tower was awesome.  Mine was No4 Helens Tower which is part of Clandeboye Estate in Bangor.  I had taken it few years ago and was all I could find looking through my archives.  It has a nice bit of history to it as it was the last man made landmark seen by our soldiers heading for England on their way to The Somme back in the day.  A full size replica was built in France as a tribute to those who lost there lives at The Somme.
"If it wasnt life threatening it would be hilarious" Ed Stafford

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011 »

Hi All,
Mine was no 11.. Suspect congrats!  Would it be possible if I could have a copy, I think it would look great hanging in my hall?

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]