Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Canoe / Kayak Advice  (Read 5647 times)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
Canoe / Kayak Advice
« on: July 30, 2012 »

Hi Guys,

I have got it into my head that I want to buy a canoe or kayak.  I used to have a Lawrence Sprite Fibre Glass Kayak many Moons ago.

I don't want to do anything mad in it like white water, (well I don't think I do) More take it out along the coast, or a lake/river etc.

Thing is I have no idea what to get type wise.  Am I better with a GP one or better going for a Sea Kayak?  I honestly have no idea.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also ay must have equipment other then Spray deck, Bouancy Aid etc.

lowa

• Jr. Poster
Re: Canoe / Kayak Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012 »

Hi, my work are running a canoe/kayak demo day soon if you want to come along I'll pm you details, there will be different types of canoes, kayaks, sit on's available to try on the day.

Sea kayaks tend to very expensive and gp boats give you more options.

Apart from BA, spray deck, paddle, (wet suit), first aid there's not much else needed (unless your planning a day trip then your gonna need food & drinks etc)

Hope that helps

Lowa

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012 »

Yea, defo send me the details please.

Just checked the price of the sea ones. very expensive.  think a GP mint be more in my price range, plus a lot easier to store and transport

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012 »

I've a Charleston Dagger 15ft touring boat that I could sell to you. I've used it in the sea and it is very comfortable. If you are interested in trying it out sure pm me.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

lowa

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012 »

Hi kirth, I was chatting to my boss about our canoe / kayak demo day, as yet no date has been set but he has told me if you want try some kayaks out you can call us anytime 07845307868 and book a time this weekend. We have 3 brand new Sit on Tops for people to try out plus other kayaks and canoes.

Cheers

Lowa.

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012 »

Hi Kirth,

It'll depend solely on the type of paddling you wish to do, how often and at what level.

You mentioned you may not want to cover white water, perhaps an open boat would be more suitable?

There is a huge range of open boats available, and even more opinions about them - I'm sure it's the same with kayaks.

Have a think about what sort of paddling you're more likely to do and that will nearly make your choice for you

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012 »

The best thing you can do is join a club and try out different kinds of boats in different environments. Theres a wealth of knowledge that you can tap into by talking to club members.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]