Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NI-Wild Camping Trip: January 23, 2010 - January 24, 2010
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip  (Read 64338 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip
« on: January 17, 2010 »

On the weekend of 23/24 January 2010 we will be having an overnight camp in Donard Forest

In order to satisfy all demands for excitement and exercise we will be coming in several groups. One group will leave from Meelmore Lodge taking the route through Hares Gap and over Slievenaglogh, Slieve Corragh, Slieve Commedagh and then down the Glen River to the campsite. The 2nd group will head for the same spot coming up over Slieve Binnian, Slieve Lamagan, Cove and Slieve Beg. Anyone who doesn't fancy a walk can come straight up from Donard car park.

NB - A 3rd easier walk is also possible starting at Meelmore Lodge coming up Hares Gap and along the Brandy Pad (missing Slievenaglogh, Corragh and Commedagh) and down by the Glen River between Donard and Commedagh.

The plan is for some rest and relaxation and a bit of craic the around the campfire. Allcomers are welcome both for the walks over and/or the overnight camp.

I've attached a route from Meelmore to Donard Forest if anyone doesn't know it.
I have now attached what I think the route from Annalong to Donard will be assuming a route straight down the Glen River.

Final Plans
We're all meeting at Meelmore Lodge secure car park at 9am on Saturday morning.

Definites
Me
Billy_Backpack
666_Pack
chris_8764
Ulsterwalker (+1 for the walk)
Simon
Suspectmonkey (+1 for the walk)
Spark

Possibles
-
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010 by J »

chris

• Hero Poster
Re: Jan 23/24 10 Camping Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010 »

Lol i think I shoud get a stamp.... In

Sein as were were all ready for a 40miler, how about an early(ish) start and some sort of activity? Could be a chance for that group of us to bruch up on our photography skills or something?

(and early-ish doesn't have to be 9am just time enough to give us some day light!)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 by chris_8764 »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010 »

Lol i think I shoud get a stamp.... In

Sein as were were all ready for a 40miler, how about an early(ish) start and some sort of activity? Could be a chance for that group of us to bruch up on our photography skills or something?

(and early-ish doesn't have to be 9am just time enough to give us some day light!)

I'm game. What sort of activity are you thinking of?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010 »

annalong horseshoe. start at carrick little, binnian, lamagan, cove and beg. donard, rocky andback to annalong wood. camp somewhere in the middle.

I'm still not sure why the lecale way has been put off but this is what i think we should do instead. I think it's a waste off two days to spend it by a campfire.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010 »

How far would that walk be?

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010 »

13 miles overall mate and a climb of 5100ft :o
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010 »

That's my goal, to be able to do walks like that. Suppose it's all about building up to it.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010 »

I take it you're both in  :D

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010 »

Unfortunately not for me Billy its my 30th b'day party on sat night but in a good way it means i'll be able to do the Lecale when new dates are organised  :)
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010 »

Unfortunately the horseshoe would be a bit much for me at this point. However, I'm happy to meet at the campsite by an alternative route - its's no probs at all. Chances are in this weather for shelter, you'll want to camp at Donard Wood if possible anyway so I could meet you there. Think I'll consider coming over from the Trassey - Hares Gap, Slievenaglogh, Commedagh and down do Donard Wood. Seems like a good chance for me to try my first Mourne walk with more than one peak!

annalong horseshoe. start at carrick little, binnian, lamagan, cove and beg. donard, rocky andback to annalong wood. camp somewhere in the middle.

I'm still not sure why the lecale way has been put off but this is what i think we should do instead. I think it's a waste off two days to spend it by a campfire.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010 »

I think a plan is forming...there is talk of doing the Devils Coachroad and stopping at Slieve Beg for the night so that wight work in with what yuor proposing so instead of dropping down to Donard Wood just follow the Brandy Pad where it intersects the coach road and on up to Beg.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010 »

I've wanted to do this route for a while now..................................

Who's with me?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010 »

I dunno which way to go! it seems unfair that the guys who've been on the forum for a while are beastin ahead with these walks and leaving the new guys behind, To be honest I'd rather do something that everyone can come to, i'm not tryin to cut any plans down or anything but I felt that point of this forum was to meet new people and if that means spendin a night at the fire then i'm happy enough...

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010 »

I don't think it's the case of beasting on, it's just that I had got myself geared up for something a bit more challanging than a night by the campfire and we did do that the other weekend.

If a night in donard wood goes ahead then of course I will amend my route and meet up with whoever is at the wood. I guess this will kill two birds with one stone.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010 »

We possibly need a review of who's def going and to what extent they wish to exert themselves.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]