Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mourne Camping trip...  (Read 18378 times)

WildWesty

• Newbie Poster
Mourne Camping trip...
« on: January 09, 2012 »

Hi everyone, I am planning on a two day camping trip this weekend to the Mournes .... I haven’t been up in a while and was looking for any good camping spots that aren’t too hard to get too and close to water.

This might be a silly question but does anyone know of any wild camping spots in the area where you could possibly do a spot of fishing also?? I plan on going up Donard at some point during the two days and would be grateful for any suggestions. 

Rumblebum

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
Re: Mourne Camping trip...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012 »

Hi mate.

Id suggest the shelterstone for your wee trip.

You can park at an area called meelmore lodge that offers parking with cctv cameras which can give you peace of mind, you do have to pay for it but its around £4 a day which isnt too bad.
From the carpark walk towards the hills and youl find yourself on the trasey track which you will follow up to the hares gap, its a hollow between Slieve bernagh and slievenaglogh.
Go over the stile and youl see Ben Crom reservoir in front of you, theres a trail to your right that will take you down to a great campsite thats right at the end of the reservoir, youl find fresh water there as well as a stream runs beside the campsite.
We camped there in the summer when the water was perfectly calm, and the amount of fish i saw rising was pretty impressive, probably trout.
If you pack up camp and go back up to the stile again you can get to donard by following the brandy pad which is a path that skirts the sides of the mountains, it can be a trek mind you. Personally id go slieve bernagh for the view but where ever youl have a good time.

Alan.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012 »

Im also heading up this weekend for an overnighter as i havnt been out since before christmas and i have planned on using the exact route above haha! I think i might aim for the shelter stone though, or at least trying to find it  ???
If in doubt, get the coffee out

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012 »

Hi Adam, that is the shelter stone campsite that im talking about, but i forgot to write that bit, oops. :P

If you look up the hill you should see the stone above you, to the left hand side of the stream.

You can find some pics of the site on the forum.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012 »

Here's some photos of the areaknown as the Shelter Stone campsite

http://imageshack.us/g/715/night16july2011009.jpg/

there are places to camp on each side of the river.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012 »

A wee map will help.

Some photos from the last camp there

A link to the the original thread can be found here

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2733.0

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012 »

Hi Adam, that is the shelter stone campsite that im talking about, but i forgot to write that bit, oops. :P

If you look up the hill you should see the stone above you, to the left hand side of the stream.

You can find some pics of the site on the forum.

Been down only twice before but wasnt really looking for it, have it well marked out on the map with a grid reference so i cant miss it. I will not sleep until its found  :D Thanks for the info. Is it big enough to bivvi in or is it not actually a stone like im thinking  ???

Here's some photos of the areaknown as the Shelter Stone campsite

http://imageshack.us/g/715/night16july2011009.jpg/

there are places to camp on each side of the river.

Had a look at the pics there and thats exactly somewere were i aim to camp, and what a view to wake up too! Have you a trip write up about it? Thanks for the help as always  :)

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012 »

Happy days Matthew, thanks for that, the more maps to study before the better  :) have my route planned out, anytime iv been before i just was expecting to see this massive cave, maybe thats were i went wrong. I think if i get close enough to Ben Crom then track back im bound to find it properly!  :-\

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012 »

Its really not a cave more like a 1.5x2 m opening.

You are looking for the rocky outcrop, you need to head up the Kilkeel river 50-100 m

and it looks a bit like this when at the stone

Jonno posted a trip report on the blog and it can be found below
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2011/07/camp-at-ben-crom/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012 by Matthew »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012 »

Trout? In Ben Crom... I've never seen any, however if there were we should go, err, see them...

We camped there in the summer when the water was perfectly calm, and the amount of fish i saw rising was pretty impressive, probably trout.

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012 »

Trout? In Ben Crom... I've never seen any, however if there were we should go, err, see them...

I have searched the net (no pun intended  :)) many times over the years for fish in the mournes and especially Ben crom, but can find no hard evidence of them? I have seen small trout in the trassey river and spelga has trout too, also found a document suggesting there might be arctic char in lough shannagh, if there were fish in Ben crom I can't think of many better places to cast a line!

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012 »

Id love a go for the Atlantic char very rare/hard fish to get . do you have a wee link to where you read that plz
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

WildWesty

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012 »

Thanks guys for all the information – think I will have to leave my trip to next week as I still have a bit of gear to get first before I can venture out.
I myself have searched the net trying to find a place to fish in the Mournes but have had no joy. I think the only way to find out is to give it a go......

If anyone has ever tried to fish Ben Crom before it would be great to hear how they went.

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012 »

Id love a go for the Atlantic char very rare/hard fish to get . do you have a wee link to where you read that plz

I'll see if I can find it again and stick a link on for you.

WildWesty

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012 »

I think I found the document – there is only one paragraph that mentions Artic Char and it is as follows...

“It is thought that Lough Shannagh may contain a rare species of fish known as “Artic Char”. The habitat at the Lough would suggest that it is suitable for these rare species. A survey is to be carried out by DCAL Inland Waterways and Inland Fisheries Branch, Castlewellan to determine the population status.”
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]