Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Water, Water Everywhere!  (Read 3012 times)

Rusty Madra

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
Water, Water Everywhere!
« on: November 12, 2012 »

Have recently been converted to the concept of bringing only a small drinking bottle with me and filling up from natural sources along the way.

There was a day when I'd have a 2litre water bladder everywhere with me and a couple of bottles just in case. On the Mourne Mountain Marathon more experienced Mountain Folk scratched their head as to why anyone would carry so much excess weight.

Having tried it their way I'm definately enthusiastic about taking only a water bottle and filling up as I go. It gives a strange connection to the landscape: after all it is looking after you by giving you water.

I've managed thus far without any water purification of any sort. I'm careful enough about only taking water from fast streams high up in the hills: away from dead sheep and the like.

Question is do people think this is safe enough? I've had a rather funky experience after drinkng contaminated water years ago... it ain't fun! .... On the otherhand though: there's something amazing about drinking from streams!
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Water, Water Everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012 »

I always have drunk from stream and have never had a problem touch wood.
No one goes inside to clear their head

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012 »

I've never worried about it. If I'm heading up a peak I'll always plan ahead and try and get water on the way, down low in forests I usually just bring what I need. Choosing streams carefully and boiling where possible has worked well for me to date. If you're worried get something like a Travel Tap that purifies water as you drink..

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012 »

I've been fine drinking from 'selected' streams.
Some routes can be low on water though (like Mourne Wall), or if you are doing a summit camp you may want to bring extra for brews and cooking.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

wmoulds

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012 »

A general rule of thumb I've been told is make sure the source has a good flow and make sure there's nothing dead for at least 100m upstream. This is okay for going down hill as you pick a point, walk down 100m, if all's fine then fill up. But going up hill you'd have to walk up 100m, then back down again, fill up, then continue on your journey up. Needless to say I wing it if I'm going uphill.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T S Eliot

8thsinner

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012 »

I have been drinking from fresh since i was about 5 and never had a single problem.
Dew and Rain has supplied the rest. But i try to boil when i can anyway. Tried multiple chemical methods and still prefer kmn04 for cost and versatility. It's a good back up for torrential weather when the fresh stuff runs brown.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]