Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fair Head  (Read 13748 times)

andy1984

• Top Poster
Fair Head
« on: April 07, 2010 »

I was watching off the beaten track a few days ago, the one of fairhead, and it looks like a class walk!

I was wondering if it is possible to wild camp up there? It looked like there might be suitable from the programme but just wondering if anyone here had.

is the ground good enough to pitch a tent?
Remote enough that no one would care?

Cheers

Andy

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Fair Head
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010 »

I watched the same program and had exactly the same thought. We're planning to do this walk in the next few weeks either as a single day or overnighter. I reckon you could camp up there as long as you were inconspicuous as the top is well away from the roads.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010 »

I reckon you could camp up there as long as you were inconspicuous as the top is well away from the roads.

yeah thats what i thought!!

A overnighter sounds good!  ;D although prob best to pick a good weather window, i'd say it could get very blowly!!! lol

barry5891

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010 »

walk the grey mans path to murlough bay pitch your tent at the old church.or go up into the cliffs there are some remote spots.
everyone has to be somewhere,your here,get on with it.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010 »

Sounds like a plan I'm def going to this, when are you guys thinking about going? This weekend maybe?Weather seems good bit better today

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010 »

walk the grey mans path to murlough bay pitch your tent at the old church.or go up into the cliffs there are some remote spots.
Sounds like a plan I'm def going to this, when are you guys thinking about going? This weekend maybe?Weather seems good bit better today

Sounds good. I think this weekened should be fine for me too.

barry5891

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010 »

cant go this weekend.be careful on the greymans path.and dont draw attention to the fact that your camping at murlough bay as its not strictly allowed.enjoy.
everyone has to be somewhere,your here,get on with it.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010 »

I watched the same program and had exactly the same thought. We're planning to do this walk in the next few weeks either as a single day or overnighter. I reckon you could camp up there as long as you were inconspicuous as the top is well away from the roads.

you kept that quiet. ;)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010 »

We haven't actually planned it yet but Suspectmonkey was thinking it. You up for a sneaky overnighter?

you kept that quiet. ;)

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010 »

I might be able to come too, hopefully, you'se'll be able to post details of where u r meeting.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010 »

Just rewatched the off the beaten track there now....think I'm going to give this a go on Sunday. More info here.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010 »

Fair Head is one I really want to do but alas, I think Sunday is out for me. Weather's a bit suspect too.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010 »

I would be up for a sunday Up fairhead aswell.
No one goes inside to clear their head

ChuckMcB

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010 »

Had a try at this yesterday. The path along the shore is actually quite poor, very overgrown, loads of times the path ended up in a bog, or disappeared off into a drop down to the beach, it 'aint no One Man Pass, but you gotta be careful if it's windy/wet or you have kids along. Perhaps in the spring/autumn other tracks along the shore will become visible.

Top tip: ignore the man from the TV program (and the web site) that advise going go up the gully beside the waterfall, when we tried to do it it was a mud slide. Only got half way up before choosing life and heading back to the beach for lunch.

After lunch we noticed folks coming down a farm track further on, seems that's the best way to get up to the cliff top (it does involved a little bit of minor farm land trespassing so that's prob. why the Beeb doesn't recommend it). So once you reach the waterfall, cross the river and you will see an old metal winch, that's at the bottom of a farm track, follow it up as it twists and turns up the cliff to the top.

ps. even without getting to the top of the cliff there is loads of camping room at the foot of the waterfall, very flat, bit exposed if the wind/sea picked up, it's been used before as there was a fire pit in evidence.

pps. not much parking at the start point (perhaps only four car's worth), there's a new house been built at what was Marconi's cottage and there are big piles of soil and rubble lying about. The shore front car park has more but it would be ++dodgy overnight because it soo far away from civilisation.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010 »

I didn't realise that there was a path along the shore - I thought some of it was sheer cliff.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]