Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: putting up a hammock  (Read 6671 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
putting up a hammock
« on: August 05, 2009 »

Here i will show you how I put up my hammock. I'm sure this is not the only way to do it, but it is how I was shown by a very experienced Bushcrafter and it seems to work very well. I haven't had my hammock slip down the tree and I haven't fallen out of it yet.

I will be using the “DD Travel” hammock

Here is the hammock unpacked. You will notice that the hanging lines are separate from the hammock

I have left a short piece of line attached to the hammock, forming a loop. This is about 50cm long and is tied using a “figure of 8” knot.

The two hanging lines (sometimes called ropes or tapes) have been attached to karabiners. The one above as a single line (to give good length) and the one below as a double line.

First choose the trees you will be using. You will need good sturdy trees, about 4 metres apart. I tie up the first line (The single line), just below chest height, using an “Evenk” knot. I will usually tie this line to the thicker of the two trees I am using, as this is a longer line. I attach the hammock loop to the karabiner at this knot, attach the other line to the other end of the hammock and pull the hammock out until it is level. I then tie the other doubled line to the other tree using a simple shoelace bowknot. (See below) the reason I tie up at just below chest height is that when you sit/lie on the hammock, the lines will stretch a little, making the centre of the hammock come down to a nice height to be able to sit on which will aid you when getting into the hammock (Quick tip. Get into your sleeping bag BEFORE getting into your hammock. It's much easier that trying to wriggle into your sleeping bag after getting into the hammock)

Here you can see how the hammock attaches to the karabiners.

The hammock I am using has a built in mosquito net. This can feel quite claustrophobic when you are inside the hammock. To help stop this, I put a small stick through the loops on the outside of the mosquito net which helps to spread the netting out and, using some elastic cord, I then tie the netting up to a line of cord that I either have tied beneath the Tarp I am using as rain cover, or, in good weather, a length of rope tied above the hammock. (See below)

The hammock is now ready for use, with the mosquito net well up and out of the way of your face. Simply unzip the netting and climb inside.

I have also added some buttons to the doubled over base of the hammock so that I can put in a sleeping mat for insulation without it coming out during the night.

I hope that some of you find this useful and that you have a go at "hammocking" in the future.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009 by Celt_Ginger »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: putting up a hammock
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009 »

Excellent tutorial, cheers. Now I just need to work out how tight I like to sleep in it. I hear that there can be real problems where you gradually slide down the hammock as the night wears on.

Good point about getting in the sleeping bag first too. I had all sorts of problems trying to get comfy when I put the bag in first and tried to wriggle into it.

Hound of Ulster

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009 »

Looking forward to Jonno demonstrating all this in your abscence. ;D

I would love to give it a go, but sadly I will have to buy a super strong hammock to try it as I would worry if I climbed into Jono's hammock it would not hold me.

Hound  :'(

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 »

We will be coming up for a visit.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]