Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Orienteering course!  (Read 3316 times)

whoisaaron

• Newbie Poster
Orienteering course!
« on: February 25, 2012 »

I'm looking for an orienteering course were I can learn all the basics. Anybody know of such a course?

Samm

• Top Poster
Re: Orienteering course!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012 »

I'm looking for an orienteering course were I can learn all the basics. Anybody know of such a course?

I've just started this year.  I just headed along to the first event of the year up in Carnfunnock a few weeks ago.  I knew nothing, but there's no better way of learning than just doing it.  There's a training event on tomorrow in Belfast.  If you check out http://www.niorienteering.org.uk/lvo/ there's all the details of it and upcoming events.  There's no better way of learning than doing.  And if you join your local club there's always training.

There's others on here with far more orienteering experience than me, but that's my tuppence worth!

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012 »

Of course, if you really don't want to do it as an event, there are permanent courses. Check out http://www.ecotrailsni.com/ for details of these. But, as inspiration to come along to an event, you don't need to know anything or be any good to have a go! Today I managed to set of to my first control in completely the wrong direction and on top of that I can barely run the length of myself! However you decide to do it, enjoy :-)

Bic

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012 »

...can,t agree more with the above.... no better way, than gettin out to a local event then when making mistakes and learning ...its all in the relative safety of a enclosed park...sometimes coaching practises are put on by the club...next event Craigavon Lakes.....lots of info on the Web......BOF .....(start point) ...Triangle, (finish point) ....Double circle...etc...shorter less technical courses for beginners... :O)
"We don't stop hiking because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop hiking."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]