Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lightweight gear vs lightweight you  (Read 10615 times)

Al Fresco

Lightweight gear vs lightweight you
« on: February 02, 2012 »

I was reading a few blogs and forums today  with reference to lightweight camping and hiking gear, and in one forum there was a topic on how to make your heaviest piece of kit lighter (YOU).
This reminded me of a time a few years ago when I sold high performance motorcycles and accessories. There were countless guys who were willing to spend thousands of pounds on carbon and titanium exhausts, footpegs etc. Yet these guys were just throwing their money away in a bid to gain performance as they were on average 3-4 stone overweight, they in turn needed bigger leather suits which were considerably heavier than smaller ones and so on and so-on.
 The same can be considered when people talk of lightweight gear for camping, hiking. Yes you may find spending a lot to get the best gear is satisfying and it does have its merits, also you may only have a pack weighing less than 10kg for an overnighter, but how much extra are you carrying elsewhere?

Im 6'1" and weigh 14st exactly which means im overweight by about 1/2 stone though if i lost1 to 1.5st then I would be happy.
Mesure your BMI here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bmi_calculator/bmi.shtml

Im not having a go at anybody, its just my opinion on our health and spending fortunes on lightweight kit.

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Lightweight gear vs lightweight you
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012 »

Same in the bike shop, the difference in a 10kg road bike and an 8kg road bike is at least £800 new. I've lost 2kg weight just starting back training after the new year.

Saying that my 2nd hand road bike is only 8.5kg, so to save 2kg off that would cost me £2000+  8)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012 »

ooooh dear just checked BMI, not good. the M in BMI describes my middle perfectly

Doctor Who

• Top Poster
  • Wibely Wobbly, Timey Whimey
    • Final Fantasy Website
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012 »

I just checked my bmi, and I am right smack in the middle of normal. but I was underweight before, and couldn't put on weight no matter what food I ate. but I have started to gain weight. which is a good thing but a bad thing. good thing, now I am not underweight, bad thing is now I have to cut down on the junk food.

I was 8 stone in half, now im 10 stone 1
my height is 5ft 6"

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012 »

Im 6'1" and weigh 14st exactly which means im overweight by about 1/2 stone though if i lost1 to 1.5st then I would be happy.

Exact same as yourself. I'm pretty happy saying its Winter time, I notice that my weight gains and drops with the seasons/weather. So I'll just have to carry the weight in the rucksack  :D
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012 »

Cool Tool...

It tells me I'm good for a few more KFC's yet!!!  ;D

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012 »

i've found that the more exercise i do the more shit i can eat, oh i love my food  :)
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012 »

I've thought about this a few times. Pondering spending a few hundred pounds on a lighter possibly less stable tent to save 500g or so seems nuts if it is equivalent to just shedding half a kilo. However, I suspect like all things it's probably not as simple as loosing a kilo to carry an extra kilo being a straight swap.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012 »

I dont think that the example that saving weight on a bike and saving weight in your kit is the same.

Yes if you are trying to save weight on a bike but you are overweight then whats the point of that. However if you are carring the gear then it makes aload of difference. If I was a 10st racing snake or a 16st fat git the a 12kg pack is still a 12kg pack.
No one goes inside to clear their head

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012 »

weight distribution could be the issue here, e.g. on cars and bike its more important to lose weight on the rotational bits (thats the wheels  ;) ) apply that to hiking and your better off getting lighter shoes, or smaller feet  8) 
think outside, no box required

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012 »

I might of said that wrong. If I lost a stone would it make my 1kg tent lighter?
No one goes inside to clear their head

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012 »

will have to sit tonight with large pizza extra toppings and give this some thought

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012 »

I dont think that the example that saving weight on a bike and saving weight in your kit is the same.

Yes if you are trying to save weight on a bike but you are overweight then whats the point of that. However if you are carring the gear then it makes aload of difference. If I was a 10st racing snake or a 16st fat git the a 12kg pack is still a 12kg pack.

You're thinking of flat ground. It's the total weight moved upwards against gravity in terms of energy expenditure. The tour de france is always won or lost in the mountains.

example 1:
10st + 12kg pack/bike ~ 77kg.
Moving 1kg vertically 1m requires 1joule. So for every 100m ascent this person expends at least* 7700j (1839calories)

example 2:
16st + 12kg pack/bike ~116kg
For every 100m ascent this person expends at least* 11600j (2771calories)

Person 1 uses 33% less energy than person 2, or Person 2 uses 50% more energy than person 1. The pack will feel the same, but the performance difference will be evident for the same work capacity (an athlete doesn't use more energy to do the same thing, they just can use it quicker due to efficiencies in their bodies and technique).

* there is sideways movement (less effort on the bike vs pack), extra resistance like wind or soft ground, and the extra lifting of each foot on every step. What Liam says about the 'rotating' masses comes into effect here. Lighter wheels are the best upgrade on any bike, and I put my enjoyment of Corsica down to the fact my shoes only weighed 400g vs 1400g+ boots. There is also inertia to overcome if the centre of gravity (of the moving part, including you) stops or changes direction.

Note though that those are scientific calories. Person 2 is only using 3kcal (food calories)! Although due to the body's inefficiency, this will actually require 12kcal. Not a lot! There will be some more energy used in the increased breathing and heart rate, and the subsequent growth and repair of muscles, and maybe keeping warm.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012 »

And I don't think you can argue with that!  :D

Al Fresco

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012 »

I didn't say that buying lighter was pointless or wrong, in fact I said it has its merits. I don't think there is any right or wrong answers here, I just think spending lots of money on super-lightweight gear is in my opinion silly, if you can lose weight yourself and feel healthier and better for it.
Craig makes a very compelling argument above with the scientific calculations and I would also add that less weight on the descent is lot kinder on your knee joints, shins and feet. Less jarring and forces upon them means less risk of injury.
Like I said already its only my opinion.  :)

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]