Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: My new tent (maybe)  (Read 12156 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
My new tent (maybe)
« on: September 10, 2013 »

Ok so im toying with the idea of a new tent and im swayed towards a banshee 200 or a Coleman cobra 2    both a bit small for two people but as it's only me and the son both would be roomy enough with a view to use it solo as well.. Whats your views on these tents and am I only paying the extra on the banshee because of the name? Both seam to be of a similar size and weight but about £20/£30 apart in price..

Thanks Glenn.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: My new tent (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013 »

I had a Banshee 300, it was an excellent tent. The 200 is good adult / kid type camps as well as a bit of rolling around room for solo plus at 2kg it's a decent weight. It's also a great shape and solid for adverse conditions. The one downside is there's no headroom and not much of a porch. The Coleman Cobra I can't comment on unfortunately.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013 »

I have a Cobra that is nearly 10 years old now. Surprising wee tent - very well made, good in wind, and 2 entrances/small porches are nice.
All the revisions in the new one just seem to make it better... lighter, lower skirts, pitch outer first, cheaper (I paid £90 for mine, so taking in inflation they saw me coming  ;D ).

I'm slim 6ft, shared it before with a shorter mate. Took it to Scotland the other week with a taller mate, just let him have the tent and I bivvied. The NeoAir mat doesn't share space well at the foot end, being square and thick, but it would have been a push regardless. Brilliant space for solo.

No comparison with a Banshee. There are others on here using those tents, a search might bring up details. The big tent thread will have some mini reviews in it for certain.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013 »

I believe spud had a coleman cobra in the past. He might be able to shed some light on it.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013 »

I believe spud had a coleman cobra in the past. He might be able to shed some light on it.

my coleman was a different model so I cant really help sorry,  clairebear on here has a cobra, im sure she would give you some advice!

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013 »

i certainly do have a wee cobra coleman bought last year.  there is a review in the tent thread.  I love it and at the price was well worth it. they are £69 on amazon.  Only add on to my thread is that with two people its also grand, yeah its not a big room'y two man but stash all your kit in the two porches and its grand.  cash my dog was in as well lol.

has yet to be out in horrendous conditions but it's a good shape to be aerodynamic in the wind.  I can sit up in it and im 5ft5.  As a solo tent there isnt anything to fault.  I put it up as one pitch in and out together but you can split it i think.  Far to much bother that so up it goes in quick time.  Usual hook on roof to not loose stuff and side pockets.  Very light as well and compact i can get all my gear in a 30l pack with food etc etc. 

Maybe a banshee would be lighter, not sure but for the cost difference it depends what your budget is. 

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013 »

+1 for the Coleman even with two people. Used Claires with her and found there was plenty of space. I'm 6ft and found no problems with the tent length. Considering getting one for myself as a replacement for my gelert solo for times when I want to charge lightweight across areas.

I did notice the Coleman has fibre poles though so depending on how often you intend to use it you may wish to look into swapping out a set of aluminum ones.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013 »

I did notice the Coleman has fibre poles though so depending on how often you intend to use it you may wish to look into swapping out a set of aluminum ones.

Interesting - my old one has alloy poles, surprised they cut corners there... it's so cheap, it would be worth paying extra if they'd kept them in the spec. They're not a straight hoop though (if sourcing 3rd party) - each pole has 3 'sides' i.e. it has 2 distinct bends/angled joints. Maybe Coleman could help?
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013 »

I recently camped at the summit of the Bluestacks in my Coleman Cobra 2 (photo below).
My friends have a Banshee (not sure if 200 or 300?) which is pitched behind.

Overall for the Coleman,
- Excellent, stable tent even on a wet and windy summit camp on top the Bluestacks
- Loads of room for 1 plus backpacking gear. Rear porch is very handy space. Tight for 2 backpackers I would say.
- Pitches outer 1st and very quick to setup. Easy to tension.
- Very good weight (about 2kg)

Slight niggles
- Outer zipper is hard to close when the tent is under good tension. Forcing zipper down is a recipe for disaster.  (solution is to unclip tensioners near the zip, but then of course you can't reclip them from the inside! )
- Vent at front of the tent can let in rain when it is being blown at certain angles (solution is to pitch shallow  end into wind and peg the protective front flap directly down to the flysheet pegs at the front of the tent.
- Inner storage pockets droop a bit and contents are liable to spill out and get lost (solution is to stich the top of the pocket to the inner about half way across).

I can confirm that the latest Coleman 2 has alloy poles.
I also have the Coleman 3 which is another excellent tent.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013 by andymcinroy »

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013 »

My mistake I must have been blind or I'll try and blame tiredness on thinking it was fiber poles.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
My new tent (maybe)
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013 »

Here is cobra up last night in annalong wood. Performed well in the rain and wind.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013 »

Thanks for the feedback on this folks a lot of positive comments on the cobra and I think its the one I will probably go for I like the idea of the gull wing doors ie easy out in the mornings as im not to agile first thing..
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
My new tent (maybe)
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013 »

Yeah you can sorta roll the legs out make a few ohhhhssss and such like grunts before getting out.  I do that as well, takes a while before I loosen up!

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013 »

Thanks for the feedback on this folks a lot of positive comments on the cobra and I think its the one I will probably go for I like the idea of the gull wing doors ie easy out in the mornings as im not to agile first thing..

You should see the cut of me getting out of my bivvy after a rough night
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Revsi75

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013 »

Guys has anyone heard or know someone with a coleman phad x3?

I've seen some photos of people online and read some but not many reviews, using this in the snow and was wondering if anyone locally has one or has used one.

I have the banshee 300 and am weary about using it when it is snowing, giving it's sloping is very close to the inner sheet and will be closer if the snow lies.

Would like a tent for the snow (not that we get that much) but if it's anything like what we did get... it would be nice.
What ever our wandering our happiness will always be found within a narrow compass, and in the middle of the objects more immediately within our reach.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]