Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Axes  (Read 13074 times)

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
Axes
« on: August 17, 2009 »

Can anyone gimme some advice on buying a first time bushcraft axe. I would be lookin something small enough to put in a 45l rucsac. Seen a nice mora axe but the plastic handle sort of put me off so any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

David
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

Mouldsy

Re: Axes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009 »

I personally use a Gransfor Small forest axe, you will find them on Ray Mears website but if you shop around you will get them cheaper else where, It fits into the Sabre 45 nicely if you want to hide it when you are out or you can slip it between the side pocket of the rucksack for easy access, Celt Ginger bought a zegga( I think that's the right spelling)axe of a guy on BCUK and is very impressed with it I am sure if you P.M Celt he will point you in the right direction for that.
Hope this helps,
Davy.

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009 »

I am buying the Gransfor Small forest axe also.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009 »

Cheers for that Davy the gransfor small forest axe was what i was looking at from lakelandbushcraft.co.uk. I'll not rush into buying one just yet maybe see what celt has to say about this cegga one also.

Regards,

David
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009 »

I really want a Gransfors Axe but they can be pricey. Highly rated by just about everyone including Ray Mears.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009 »

Choosing an axe is really dependant on what you want to do with it. The granfors small forest axe is a great axe. I have one and it gets used for all kinds of general bushcraft chores. I also have a Granfors Mini axe and I use it as well, especially for spoon making and carving projects. I also have a Cegga axe which is a custom hand made axe. It's smaller than the Small forest axe but is very a useful size. I'm now thinking about getting a Scandinavian forest axe as the larger size would be a help for the chores I have in mind for it. For a general purpose axe, the small forest axe is a pretty good choice, though I would advise ringing the shop where you may intend getting one from and asking them to pick out a good one as they can occasionally be a little off centre. If the shop knows you may be fussy, they will make sure you get a good straight one.

billy56

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009 »

Buy any gransfor axe you will not be dissapointed!! I,ve got a small forest axe and cant
fault it in any way ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 by billy56 »

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009 »

Your rite about the Gransfor axe it is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for and i want 1 i use and old british army axe i got for £3.50 bout 10 years ago it date stamped 1952!
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009 »

For a while the quality control at Granfors wasn't what it should have been and some axes were not up to the standard you should expect from a premium product. If you order one, inspect it closely and don't be afraid to send it back if it isn't up to your expectations. If you get a good one though, you will not be disappointed. It's a great tool.

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009 »

thanks mate i'll keep that in mind if and when i order 1.  :)
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009 »

Yeah i agree if your paying that sort of money for an axe you want it to be top notch quality, i think im going to go for the small forest axe also.

just seems like a nice sized and weight for bushcrafting

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009 »

For comparrison, here's a Granfors Small forest axe on the left, My Cegga axe in the centre and a Granfors Mini axe on the right.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009 »

would that gransfor axe be about forearm lenght celt or longer?

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009 »

The small forest axe is about wrist to armpit in length.

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009 »

Im liking the look of that cegga. Been searching around but they are like hens teeth to get. Gonna go ahead and order the gransfors small forest axe unless your maybe your wanting to part with your cegga, Celt  :P lol
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]