Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Level 1 Coach in Paddlesport  (Read 12284 times)

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
Level 1 Coach in Paddlesport
« on: May 31, 2009 »

Well the sun gods managed to look favourably on both weekends and on the safety and rescue training day - I am beautifully bronzed. with the exception of the legs!!

I had never coached before doing the course and to be honest I had never really planned to be on this course- I wanted my two star then, I had planned to paddle along at my leisure, maybe ticking off star awards, maybe not.  The coaching opportunity arose and I was convienced it was the right thing to do by a few members of the uni club.  The uni club at Coleraine had no coaches and have been depending on the amazing coaches from CCKA and from Xplore outdoors to take us all through the 1* and 2 * tests.

The training included coaching to coach, various models of learning and lots of on water time either carrying out rescues, demos or being assessed.  It was  very intense and I was glad at the end it was over two separate weekends rather than 4 days of slaughter!!

It was quite strange watching as myself and other participants change from being nervous and unconfident in the first week to becoming leaders in the final day.  I am really proud of everyone on the course for doing so well and passing.  I  want to thank CCKA tutors, Robin, Robert and Keith for their time and mentoring and also Hugh and Harry for their invaluable coaching tips.

I would certainly reccommend this course to anyone even pondering the idea of coaching.  As I said before- I never planned to coach  I just want to paddle, now I have done the course I  want others to share the fun I am having paddling!!
Fun is not a straight line

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
Re: Level 1 Coach in Paddlesport
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009 »

congratulations on completing your coaching award woohoo go you  ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009 »

Congratulations, sounds like great weekend. I'd like to do some of the star courses - I've been saying that for a while and never gotten around to it though...

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009 »

Yeah gettin the awards is an achievement but they should never replace the fun that is being out on the water. :) Roll on Thursday- Ballintoy to Dunseverick paddle!!

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009 »

Congratulations Michelle!   I'm part way through my level 1 coach course in Bushmills, and it's tough going!  The whole group that's doing it is new to paddlesport, but experienced leaders/coaches/teachers  in other disciplines.  We're doing it over 6 weekends to get our paddling skills up to scratch before they can send us out to coach other people!  It takes me at least a week to recover after each weekend.
the NEELB coaches (most of them are CCKA too) are fantastic.  So much outdoors experience and such passion!  Robin in particular is like a kid with the keys to the toyshop over anything related to water (or in fact anything related to passing on his knowledge).

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009 »

Thanks so much everyone!! ;D

John- the "omg i cant move" passess.  I paddled ballintoy to Ballycastle last  night, a leisurely 3 hours and still managed to make it into work for 8am in Belfast!  My first long trip up the Bann well, I came home after it (3 hours as well) fell alseep woke up the next day, ate, went to loo, crawlled back into bed and got up monday- i never wanted to paddle again after that.

If I can be any help to anyone re:the coaching process and my experiences, feel free to pm me.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009 »

So does this mean you can teach us all to canoe then?  ::)

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009 »

Good question jonno and do we have to supply our own paddles????;D

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009 »

Quite worryingly yes lol Although the Level 1 course is for teaching beginners which you arent i'm sure :p I'm sure I could learn a lot more from you's than the other way around!!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009 »

Quite worryingly yes lol Although the Level 1 course is for teaching beginners which you arent i'm sure :p I'm sure I could learn a lot more from you's than the other way around!!

I've only had my canoe since Feb so I think I'm still at the beginner stage. I've sailed for years but canoeing is all new. I've an offer of a 2nd hand kayak - think I'll invest. Had harboured the idea of a sea canoe but I think they're just too expensive since I only just bought the Canadian. The wifes watching my spending with interest now :D

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009 »

:D have to say my spend has to be curbed too.  My kayaking is better than my open boating but i spend more time doing it.

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009 »

I've only been kayaking 3 months did my level one star at the start now go to Shaws bridge for white water paddling and a bit of surfing loving it except the capsizing part hence the name "damp colin" ;D, one day i'll come home dry for a change  :D

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009 »

If your not wet your not trying is my motto.  If you fall in you have more than likely pushed over your limits therefore you should (in theory) know where they are  next time!

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009 »

i actually capsized from dry land into the water....a fete never to have been done before so all the instructors told me....i'm very proud of that one  ;D

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009 »

Just been reading your blog Michelle.  Thursday's trip from Ballintoy to Ballycastle - I was longing to be there, but my 2* assessment's not until the end of this month, so I couldn't go. 

Next year.

By the way, Have you a list of good games and warm ups?

We've done tug-of-wars and loads of races (technique goes out the window in a race so they're not so good for coaching) and a couple of ball games, but anything new would be good!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]