Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: First ever camping trip - where to go  (Read 6515 times)

firstimecamper

• Newbie Poster
First ever camping trip - where to go
« on: July 06, 2010 »

hi all,
I'm a complete novice. Apart from the odd festival and a couple of trips as a kid/teenager with friends, I've never been camping. Any advice appreciated!

My boyfriend and i decided we wanted to try it and have started getting some basic kit together. I've got:
- a three man tent
- couple of sleeping bags & basic camp mats (could bring my blown up mattress??)

Also ordered two basic rucksacks and a eurohike cook set and burner from millets.

We want to have an experimental couple of nights away in NI and i'm looking for suggestions. We don't have a car at the moment, so it's public transport/walking distance only. Preferably near the sea so i can swim.

I wanted to try a campsite for my first time and then get more ambitous after a couple of trips. But initial internet searching has only come up with caravan sites that look fairly grim. I'd like somewhere with basic facilities (water, toilets, showers) within walking distance of shops etc.

I've been to rathlin camping once years ago, but am told this weekend will be really busy. But this was the sort of thing i had in mind, some facilities but not all concrete and caravans.

Any suggestions or advice??
C

ChuckMcB

Re: First ever camping trip - where to go
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010 »

Welcome C.

What bit of NI are you from? Not much point dragging your ruck too far on public transport...

Got a back garden to have a practice in? (seriously)

Options for Mournes (if it's close for you): Meelmore Lodge (bit far away without car, £10 in a taxi from Newcastle), Bloody Bridge Camp Site otherwise the old failthfuls: Tollymore Forest, Castlewellen Forest. More here.

firstimecamper

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010 »

hi there,

I live in Belfast.

I thought i'd do a trial run in my garden on Friday actually, so i feel less silly now someone else has suggested it too!

Yeah, i'm worried about carrying loads of stuff too far for my first time, the mournes would be nice, is there anywhere you can swim?

Caragh

firstimecamper

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010 »

thanks for links btw, more here than i was able to find on my own!

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010 »

Welcome C.

I've had a few nights where a test of the tent has seemed like a good idea after a few beers and a BBQ - can't beat it. Chuck has pretty much nailed it - just head for somewhere popular where they have showers and electricity and ease yourself into it gently. Stick your name down for the Supermeet at the end of July too. There'll be plenty there that can easily overdose you on gear advice and you can see lots of it first hand when we have the inevitable protracted stove / sleeping / tent / mat comparisons.

Eamonn

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010 »

Preferably near the sea so i can swim.

I read in the paper ages ago that you can swim in Lough Shannagh in the Mournes. There's a grassy spot where you could camp too.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010 »

I thought i'd do a trial run in my garden on Friday actually, so i feel less silly now someone else has suggested it too!
You will get 'looks' but it's fun :) don't be afraid to pick a crappy night to do it either...it's good practice putting up the tent/making food when it's blowing a gale...or chucking it down....at least if stuff goes wrong you can scamper back into the house...

Yeah, i'm worried about carrying loads of stuff too far for my first time, the mournes would be nice, is there anywhere you can swim?
I'm thinking Castlewellen would be you best bet...bus stops in the middle of the town which is at the entrance of the forest park..there is a mace and tescos for supplies (as well as chippy, cracker pizza place down the hill a bit on the right and a loads pubs etc..). There is a honking big lake in Castlewellen and technically swimming is forbidden but if you keep away from the fishermen (watch out for electric powered fishing boats buzzing about the lake) you should be fine. (just don't go swimming while under the influence...a couple of locals did that last year/year before....not smart of cleaver)

I read in the paper ages ago that you can swim in Lough Shannagh in the Mournes. There's a grassy spot where you could camp too.
Yup, Mrs Chuck and I did it in April past (with wet suits) but Lough Shannagh doesn't have a bus stop ;)

firstimecamper

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010 »

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. I think i'd like to venture out to wild camping evenutally, but know it'll take a while to find my feet and get all the kit i need for that together.

Castlewellan or the mournes sound like a good bet to me. I'm going to check out poss sites tomorrow by giving them a call.

What's the supermeet in july?

ChuckMcB

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010 »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]