Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preppers  (Read 22862 times)

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Preppers
« on: August 25, 2012 »

So I was watch a programme on Nat Geo about people who thinks 2012 was the year of doomsday. they were all preppers and got me thinking that if socitiy colapsed would my 7 days of mountain house meals and a box of army raitions be enought.

So do we have any preppers out there (I know there is one)? What do you fell would be a suitable amount od food backed up?

I read somewhere that is supermarkets did't get resupply they would sell out in a week.
No one goes inside to clear their head

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Preppers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012 »

there was a good chat about that recently here http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2662.0
think outside, no box required

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012 »

So I was watch a programme on Nat Geo about people who thinks 2012 was the year of doomsday. they were all preppers and got me thinking that if socitiy colapsed would my 7 days of mountain house meals and a box of army raitions be enought.

So do we have any preppers out there (I know there is one)? What do you fell would be a suitable amount od food backed up?

I read somewhere that is supermarkets did't get resupply they would sell out in a week.

If there was a doomsday I dont think you'd have to wait much longer than a day for all the food to be gone, and it wouldn't be selling out, ransacking would ensure that.

Depending on what sort of doomsday we're talking about be it nuclear or a zombie outbreak, you'd have to have different plans. If it was nuclear I think that your food supplies would have to be from stockpiled resources as plant life would be ruined (In that case I don't think you'd last long on saved up food). But if it was other sorts that meant plant life was still an option I would presume it better to prepare not by stocking up on food, but by learning how to find food or hunt etc.

Either way, it would come down to survival of the fittest wouldn't it? There isn't much point in buying a years worth of food if you cant stop others from taking it from you?

Opinions?
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012 »

Hypothetically in a WROL situation it would be survival of the strongest, be that attitude or numbers.
Personally I think the thin veneer that we call civilised behaviour will be the decider. Many will instantly see it as an opportunity to do what they want, when they want. If you don't make the mental shift required to defend or take what you need then you'll be one of the victims.

Of course even now you should have that attitude to a degree, let's be honest the police in most instances are there after the event to pick up the pieces and hopefully get you justice.

I agree with your comment and I know what you mean, but I couldn't resist a wee quote to add to it.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.

In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment.

(Mis-quoted Darwin) Supposedly from Origin of Species.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012 »

If the supermarkets sold out then I would just go to KFC until they ran out.  After that I'll kill the lot of yous.  Big ones first, plenty of meat and easy to catch. :)

The extent of my prepping is having 5 litres of petrol in a can so I don't have to run to the petrol garage the next time I need to mow the lawn.  Being honest though I don't even own the mower, I just use a neighbours.  Maybe my prep plan should also involve getting a spare key for his shed  ??? 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

NI Survival School

• Newbie Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012 »

Though said as a joke I think whorya has a point about eating each other. Invariably I could come down to this. Stored food only last till its all eaten by u or it's taken from you by others. One thing a lot of prepped do which would be to their detriment is shut themselves off from society and alienate others. In a global survival scenario you will need all the help u can get. Darwins point about adaptability is correct though he was talking more about long term adaption of a species rather than a quick adaption to a particular event. Those that can adapt quickley and continue to adapt quickley will survive. Knowledge training and trying out skills in real life along with a positive mental attitude and quick adaption to changing situations will get you through anything. A majority of the preppers I have seen and come across don't have this, they are cocooned in equipment and gadjets. Communities of people would spring up drawn together through necessity, they would survive unlike the solo or small groups who would quickley petter out. Just my penny's worth.
Paul
Northern Ireland Survival School

"Teaching yesterday skills today!"

Email: nisurvivalschool@gmail.com
Tel: 07415223392

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012 »

Communities of people would spring up drawn together through necessity, they would survive unlike the solo or small groups who would quickley petter out.
i suppose "mad max" would be a great example of this
think outside, no box required

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012 »

Communities of people would spring up drawn together through necessity, they would survive unlike the solo or small groups who would quickley petter out.
i suppose "mad max" would be a great example of this

Urban environments would be very unpredictable and dangerous - you could be robbed / raided at a moments notice.
I'd say wilder places would be safer.

In the event of zombie apocalypse Ni-Wild should just set up our own little mountain village ;-)
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

FlapJack

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012 »

Ultimately i think a lot of it would come down to luck, obviously being well prepared will help (but someone with a gun could take advantage of all your hard work. :'()

It's finding a way to have a sustainable food source (after the supplies run out) and safe environment, it sounds close to impossible where we live.
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012 »

Ultimately i think a lot of it would come down to luck, obviously being well prepared will help (but someone with a gun could take advantage of all your hard work. :'()

It's finding a way to have a sustainable food source (after the supplies run out) and safe environment, it sounds close to impossible where we live.

Youd just have to hope nobody noticed your preparedness.
Luck, and maybe some good acting.
Running around telling everyone they weren't prepared and you were - probably not the best idea in that kind of scenario.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012 »

I think everyone here generally has a good idea as to what is required.

I'll throw a question into the mix, which could be seen as ethical and maybe not so much politically correct, but hey, it's the end of the work here.

Would it be more effective to:

A. Prepare and store everything you need to survive
B. Learn how to take what you need from others

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012 »

I would say A and kill anyone that try's lol

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012 »

Sadly, B. Lets hope most people don't think this way. Best prepping plan is probably to have the basics and be very good friends with your neighbors. Safety in numbers is likely the best survival plan.

I'll throw a question into the mix, which could be seen as ethical and maybe not so much politically correct, but hey, it's the end of the work here.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012 »

But you do have the added advantage of your fishing skills.

Sadly, B. Lets hope most people don't think this way. Best prepping plan is probably to have the basics and be very good friends with your neighbors. Safety in numbers is likely the best survival plan.

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012 »

I would disagree. I would have thought that you will be wanting to isolate yourself (maybe a small group) away from cities and civilization (and away from neighbors and numbers)

Your neighbors won't be much use to you unless you live beside highly trained military personnel. Doris with her hip replacement more than likely won't be able to run away from an angry mob with those mob torches you see.

With numbers comes the responsibility to feed everyone, and large groups are slower to more and harder to hide therefor slowing you down and using more resources. Smaller groups move quicker and consume less resources, and easier to hide (And can all fit in one car.)

So, we think in opposites really. Interesting isn't it?

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]