Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Preppers  (Read 22862 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Preppers
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012 »

i wonder what groups would form? would you hand pick a bunch of sas soldiers, rocket scientists, and a doctor (like they would even let us join their merry band!) or would we all simply stick with our families? when you think about all our vulnerable relatives, would we really leave them to the mercy of redleader  and his blunt spork ;D
think outside, no box required

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012 »

I'm not sure as to what groups would form, and to be honest I don't think we would get much choice in the matter. It would end up being people you bumped into or joined up with. But I can say that groups will become streamlined or reduced in numbers due to arguments or disagreements.

I'd also think that we would notice more primal traits and behavior when a situation like that arose. You'd notice things like alpha males and beta males and social behaviorism.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012 »

I'm not sure as to what groups would form, and to be honest I don't think we would get much choice in the matter. It would end up being people you bumped into or joined up with. But I can say that groups will become streamlined or reduced in numbers due to arguments or disagreements.

I'd also think that we would notice more primal traits and behavior when a situation like that arose. You'd notice things like alpha males and beta males and social behaviorism.

Anyone who would try to alpha-male me into giving away my food would get the business end of the parang!

100% - I reckon a lot of the veneer of civilized behaviour would melt away in this kind of situation.

I'd want to be a part of a small group of 4-5 people I can trust, who have different valuable skills to contribute. Inevitably the larger groups will wind up ruled in the interest of a select few.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012 »

I'd want to be a part of a small group of 4-5 people I can trust, who have different valuable skills to contribute. Inevitably the larger groups will wind up ruled in the interest of a select few.

I think NIS has it right IMO hermits and small groups would disappear. 4-5 individuals wouldn't be enough for long term survival. It doesnt provide enough manpower to scavange, work, forage and protect. A group that size doesnt have the numbers to provide a show of force required to discourage others.

I disagree, I'd rather keep it closer to 4 or 5 than to 20-25. Bushmen don't hunt in groups of 20 people for simple reasons. I don't see how its not enough people for long term survival when people already survive in groups this size or smaller. If you think about it, in a way people in war zones or who are homeless lead similar lives to the way you would have to live to survive in a post apocalyptic world. And as far as I'm aware the group sizes would be small.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012 »

I think someone mentioned about a tv programme well I just seen an advert for "Doomsday Preppers" which is on the National Geographic channel on Wednesday at 10pm.  Looks like it will be the scary end of the spectrum.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012 »

Does anyone store water???
No one goes inside to clear their head

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012 »

probably more important to have a lot of water containers, and plenty of purifying tablets.
think outside, no box required
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]