Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Spam E-mail  (Read 5918 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Spam E-mail
« on: October 25, 2010 »

We have been notified by a member that they recently received a spam e-mail.  The e-mail sender claims that they "saw your profile on www.ni-wild.co.uk and decided to communicate with you".  Any e-mails received like this are spam and should be deleted immediately.

This post is to reassure all members that this is not a security breach.  It appears that a "bot" has harvested e-mail addresses that are publicly displayed on some member profiles.  This is, unfortunately, a common practice by spammers to obtain mailing lists from publicly available data.

To prevent this from happening please ensure that your e-mail address is hidden on your profile.  You can do this by clicking Profile on the top menu bar and then clicking Account Related Settings on the left hand side.  Ensure that the box that reads Hide e-mail address from public? is ticked.  Then enter your current password and click the Change profile button to save the changes.

Below is an example of an e-mail that has been received:

Subject: Hello dearly!
To: mariam6077@yahoo.com

Hello dearly!

Greetings to you,I hope this mail will find you well & healthy and I hope we can established a relationship since we are meeting here for the first time,I was impressed when i saw your profile www.ni-wild.co.uk and decide to communicate with you. It is my desire to know you, I like honesty, trust, love, caring,truth,& respect, I have all this qulities in me,kindly respond to me through my private mail box so we can know ourself's better. I hope to read from you if your are also interested. Thanks and hoping to hear from you soonest. Miss Mariam. please dont forget to send me an email in my private box( mariam6077@yahoo.com ) - God bless you.

Ms Mariam
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010 by suspectmonkey »

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Spam E-mail
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010 »

I got it aswell.

Kinda guessed it was spam
No one goes inside to clear their head

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010 »

damn it I was hoping some hot girl had got my email address! On the upside I did win the Nigerian lottery! All I have to do is transfer 5k into a bank account for administration purposes and the money will be released into my account, anyone want to go halvsies!?

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010 »

damn it I was hoping some hot girl had got my email address! On the upside I did win the Nigerian lottery! All I have to do is transfer 5k into a bank account for administration purposes and the money will be released into my account, anyone want to go halvsies!?

Aye I do but what's the catch  ??? ;D
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010 »

Lads stay away from those lottery ones they're dodgey!  On the other hand, I have a mate who works in the office of the Nigerian Minister for Infrastructure who has some money left over in the 09/10 budget and needs to move it quick ;)

On a serious note, I've updated the settings as advised to hide my email address.  When I go into 'my profile' and see the summary it still shows.  Is this summary for my benefit or is this what anyone can see?

I noticed on a recent thread that someone (Matthew?) put their email address on it for arrangements or the like.  I did think at the time it was susceptible to them bots that trawl the net. If anyone remembers doing that, it may be worthwhile going back and editing the post to remove the address.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010 »

On a serious note, I've updated the settings as advised to hide my email address.  When I go into 'my profile' and see the summary it still shows.  Is this summary for my benefit or is this what anyone can see?

Yep, even though its hidden you personally will still be able to see your own e-mail address on your profile, but no one else can.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010 »

Cheers Jonny.

Though I never received one and now feel a bit unloved. Luckily I've won the Nigerian lottery so screw you all :P

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]