Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Donard Car park to Annalong weekend  (Read 6666 times)

andy1984

• Top Poster
Donard Car park to Annalong weekend
« on: March 23, 2010 »

Hi all,

Decieded last minute to head down to mournes on saturday with bro + dad on saturday morning for a overnighter.

Started off in donard car park, around 11am. Headed up through the forest to the saddle and turned right along the brandy pad a little, down into annalong valley, walked along it past devils coach road ( love to have a go at it!) had a little look at the cave near cove moutain but didnt go in as quite a few ppl about and would have had to leave back packs etc outside ( would like to go back and have a explore around it). Then headed ondown to annalong forest and found a spot to camp.
Weather was great and a lovely clear evening, got a fire going and had a few whiskeys :-).

Next day up early and broke camp about 7am. headed back up the other side of the valley, followed the river up to the right of hares castle and onto the brandy pad at bloody bridge side of donard. followed the brandy pad round and back down the valley to donnard car pack by 10.30am! totally wrecked! lol

Back pack still to heavy at around 15kg ish..... need to get that down a bit?? lol

good weekend!!

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Donard Car park to Annalong weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010 »

Is it hard to get from the Brandy Pad to Annalong Valley?

15Kg isn't a bad initial weight at all. You'll have that down in no time. (Not that I can talk).

Any piccies?

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010 »

na no pics, i forgot the camera!! doh!

Not really hard no... we just walked along the brandy pad a little until just before slieve beg and then made our way down the steep slope.
There was no path or anythin but not bad even with packs on. and as i say on the way back we came up the other side to get most of the climbing done at the start!

15kg, not bad i suppose but does get pretty heavy after a while!! trouble is i'm not really sure what i could take out.. perhaps a little less food and skip the change of clothes (only took these as it was giving rain).

What sort weight should i realisticlly be aiming for without spending a fortune?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010 »

It's hard to call what weight should be as it depends on your base gear - rucksack, sleeping bag, sleep mat, tent, stove, food.
I used to aim for 14, now that I have a lighter bag hopefully I could see 10-12.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010 »

What sort weight should i realisticlly be aiming for without spending a fortune?

Andy, there was a nice article posted on BPL about "Going Lightweight".  It has some really good suggestions for shaving weight, and they neednt all be expensive.  For me shaving pack weight is always a compromise between weight vs. comfort vs. cost.  Some of the lightweight gear I've actually got cheaper than their more traditional counter parts.  For example I recently bought a Golite rucksack in a sale.  It weighs <1.5kg which is anything up to 1kg lighter than similarly specced packs made my Lowe Alpine, Berghaus etc.  Best of all it was cheaper than those packs, so I saved money and weight.  I reckon getting your base weight (i.e. full pack without food, water or the clothes on your back) down to sub 10kg shouldnt be too taxing or expensive with some thought.

Did you get to try out the Tempest?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010 »

Hmm. I never count what I'm wearing as pack weight (that's why my pockets are always filled with jelly babies :D)

Andy, there was a nice article posted on BPL about "Going Lightweight".  It has some really good suggestions for shaving weight, and they neednt all be expensive.  For me shaving pack weight is always a compromise between weight vs. comfort vs. cost.  Some of the lightweight gear I've actually got cheaper than their more traditional counter parts.  For example I recently bought a Golite rucksack in a sale.  It weighs <1.5kg which is anything up to 1kg lighter than similarly specced packs made my Lowe Alpine, Berghaus etc.  Best of all it was cheaper than those packs, so I saved money and weight.  I reckon getting your base weight (i.e. full pack without food, water or the clothes on your back) down to sub 10kg shouldnt be too taxing or expensive with some thought.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010 »

Hmm. I never count what I'm wearing as pack weight (that's why my pockets are always filled with jelly babies :D)

Agreed, I reckon I shaved around 2kg at least moving kit from my bag into my pockets.  Besides, Jelly Babies quickly reduce in weight when you get the munchies ;)

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010 »

Andy, there was a nice article posted on BPL about "Going Lightweight".  It has some really good suggestions for shaving weight, and they neednt all be expensive.  For me shaving pack weight is always a compromise between weight vs. comfort vs. cost.  Some of the lightweight gear I've actually got cheaper than their more traditional counter parts.  For example I recently bought a Golite rucksack in a sale.  It weighs <1.5kg which is anything up to 1kg lighter than similarly specced packs made my Lowe Alpine, Berghaus etc.  Best of all it was cheaper than those packs, so I saved money and weight.  I reckon getting your base weight (i.e. full pack without food, water or the clothes on your back) down to sub 10kg shouldnt be too taxing or expensive with some thought.

Thanks i'll have a look throught that article. My ruck sack is old one i got for DOE, i'm not even sure what it weighs, i'll have to have a good look at it.

I didnt get to try the tempest out yet, it only came on thursday and holly wasnt going so i deceided to just take the pro action and give the tempest a proper look over this weekend!

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010 »

I got a tempest today and am well pleased with it can not wait to try it out in Donegal over Easter . I walked up annalong valley and dine devils coach road on Saturday well worth doing it next time your there . We then went down to ben crom resevior and into silent valley then again to car in carrick little . I misjudgeded the distance from ben crom so my mate was a little bit annoyed ;) . Will be trying ben crom next to check for camp sites which should be fun . Has any one camped there ?
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010 »

The Shelter Stone at Ben Crom is a popular place to camp I think.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010 »

Not really hard no... we just walked along the brandy pad a little until just before slieve beg and then made our way down the steep slope.
There was no path or anythin but not bad even with packs on. and as i say on the way back we came up the other side to get most of the climbing done at the start!

15kg, not bad i suppose but does get pretty heavy after a while!! trouble is i'm not really sure what i could take out.. perhaps a little less food and skip the change of clothes (only took these as it was giving rain).

The best way to start shedding weight is to get everything you took on that trip infront of you. Take out all esential kit, then of everythng that is left take out everything you didnt use. Its amazing what you think you need or will carry just incase! Also not only getting a ligter ruck, I found that when I bought a smaller one it made me pack only what I acually need resulting in a lighter base weight.
If you didnt on that trip, share the kit out. One three man tent split between, work out how you can share meals, share a stove. 2 Hours kit prep could prob shave about 2kg off that pack.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010 »

I've also heard that forgetting stuff is a good way to shed pack weight ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010 »

I'd agree about setting everything out to make sure you're not taking guff you don't really need. Also, review your gear when you come home and see what you didn't use and don't take it the next time.

I had a test pack of the OMM Villian last night (nerdy or what) and I think it will be fine for light overnighters but as Chris says, since it's a smaller size I'll just have to pack more carefully and that's where I'll likely save.

The best way to start shedding weight is to get everything you took on that trip infront of you. Take out all esential kit, then of everythng that is left take out everything you didnt use. Its amazing what you think you need or will carry just incase! Also not only getting a ligter ruck, I found that when I bought a smaller one it made me pack only what I acually need resulting in a lighter base weight.
If you didnt on that trip, share the kit out. One three man tent split between, work out how you can share meals, share a stove. 2 Hours kit prep could prob shave about 2kg off that pack.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010 »

I've also heard that forgetting stuff is a good way to shed pack weight ;D

I hope thats not aimed at me! ;D In my defence all I have ever forgotten is a spoon so you can add that 9gms to my tally! I left my head torch at home on purpose didnt want to waste the batteries!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]