Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Three days in the Mournes  (Read 9899 times)

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
Three days in the Mournes
« on: August 18, 2014 »

Hi all,

My son and I travelled from Derry last weekend to enjoy three days of walking and camping through the heart of the high Mournes.
The plan was to enjoy a few leisurely days in beautiful country, with plenty of time at camp to relax with hot chocolate  :D.

Day 1. Meelmore Lodge to Lough Shannagh (via Pollaphuca)
Day 2. Lough Shannagh to the Annalong Valley (via Ben Crom Reservoir and Percy Bysshe Cave)
Day 3. Annalong Valley back to to Meelmore lodge (via the Brandy Pad).

The Lough Shannagh pitch on Friday night was idyllic. It kept dry with a gentle breeze to keep the midges at bay. What a view across to Slieve Binnian! It was disappointing to see a fair bit of rubbish about but I guess this must be a well used spot. I brought out what I could given that I knew I would be carrying it for 2 more days. We didn't see a soul all evening and the peace was glorious. It reminded me of more remote camps in Donegal and in Scotland. 

On day 2 we countoured slowly around Doan and Ben Crom. This was to be a tricky part of the walk. There were loads of deep holes and tussocks of grass to catch us out with our heavy packs. Finally we regained the faint path down to Ben Crom reservoir. The steep climb on the other side of the reservoir was much more pleasant than the previous rough ground and we flew up to the coll in quick time.   

Percy Bysshe cave was very interesting and my son really enjoyed this part of our trip. The squeeze through to the 3rd chamber was pretty claustrophobic. The ledge into the 2nd chamber required a bit more ingenuity to overcome, especially in reverse.  :D  We also took a dander up into Cove Cave. We got as far as the choke point but we found it quite steep so we left the upper chamber for another day.

Saturday night in the Annalong Valley was quite exciting in the gale force gusts. Our budget Coleman Cobra 3 just about survived the pummeling , with just a slight bend on the main pole come the morning. Some Duke of Edinburgh lads sleeping in Vango tents near to us awoke with their tent poles twisted like spaghetti, although I suspect this was due to a lack of care over the guy-lines.  One funny incident occurred at bedtime as we brushed our teeth near the river. A lad jumped out of the DoE tent and pissed straight into the river just upstream from us. Needless to say we didn't rinse the toothbrushes. I don't think he even realised we were there.  :o

The wind continued strong on Sunday morning but this made for some excellent photography with the light patterns of sunshine and shade changing rapidly. We stopped for a while on the Brandy Pad overlooking Ben Crom Reservoir and watched as the scene changed by the second. It wasn't long before the perfect light arrived and I managed to catch it on camera. Then on to Hare's gap and Meelmore for a well deserved cuppa and a scone in the cafe.

The Mournes reminded me very much of walks on the Isle of Arran in Scotland. The interesting granite landscape and the compact, accessible nature of the mountains makes it a pleasure to walk. It is such a great place to photograph too as there are brilliant and unique views around every corner.

Anyway, here's a few of the shots from the weekend

Lough Shannagh Camp on Day1

Inside the 2nd chamber of the Percy Bysshe Cave

A cool and windy evening half way up the Annalong Valley. Shortly before the DoE lads arrived.

The morning after the storm. The sun is out and we are making our way up to the Brandy Pad.

The big boulder at the top of Annalong Valley

Ben Crom Reservoir from the Brandy Pad. Views changing by the minute.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014 by andymcinroy »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Three days in the Mournes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014 »

Lovely pics Andy, and well done for getting all the way to the 3rd chamber (the chamber of secrets!), took me 3 visits to get that far  :) might pop up myslf this week and bring the kids there.
think outside, no box required

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014 »

Looks like a cool trip.  The weather has been very changeable but you seem to have got away without too much rain.  A couple of nice spots to camp as well.  I'm sure the wee fella will remember that trip for some time.

Cheers for sharing.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014 »

Looks like a great trip and some awesome photos.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014 »

That looks like a pretty cool trip Andy, I'm sure you had quite a bit of gear packed into that rucksack.

Thanks for sharing.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014 »

we camped above you on night one Andy,we saw the blue tent by Lough Shannagh when we woke the following morning on Doan summit.

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014 »

Thanks guys,

Mourneman, we did consider taking a run up Doan in the evening light. Were you bivying? Did you stay out on the Saturday night too?

Rumblebum, yes we were carrying fair bit of gear for comfortable camps. My son is only 10 so I took the tent, cooking gear and all the food. I'll give him a couple more years sherpa training before I offload more kit.  ;D

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014 »

Good looking trip, I just noticed second time reading this post your from Derry too, if you ever want to meet up for a day hike somewhere over this direction without the two hour drive feel free to give me a shout.

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014 »

Hi Rich,

Yes, I am actually from Park Village in the Sperrins. It would be good to have a NIWild meet up in the northwest some time.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014 »

we all camped Andy,surprisely there's quite a bit of room up there.when we reached  the summit we discovered another camper on a solo,after a quick intro we let him enjoy the peace while we cooked some burgers and ribs.what a great camp it was.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]