Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Delightful Dromara  (Read 6280 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Delightful Dromara
« on: March 10, 2014 »

I had a good wee day out with the kids at half-term in and around the Slieve Croob area.  There are some interesting things to see and I thought I'd share it just as an idea for others.  There is only a few minutes in the car between each of the places.

First up was Finnis Souterrain, or Binder's Cove.  Bearing in mind how wet it has been so far this year, very little of the souterrain is accessible - the rest is flooded.  Maybe another visit after a few drier weeks will be on the cards.

Next up was Legananny Dolmen.

Finally was a jaunt up Slieve Croob.  There was a strong and bitterly cold wind so we were grateful of the large shelter cairn for a wee break.  Despite the presence of many transmitters, the view from Slieve Croob is really worth the visit.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Delightful Dromara
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014 »

Looks good, must get my ass up there for a dander.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Re: Delightful Dromara
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014 »

Nice one and a dry day as well, how did you manage to pick that one out?   ;D ;D
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014 »

I remember my first visit to Legananny Dolmen and being quite disappointed  :( they seem to make such a big deal about it on the NI tourist maps, I wasn't that fussed on Stonehnege either though  :)

Binders Cove has long been on my tick list to do, thanks for the heads up on waiting for the dry weather.

And Slieve Croob is a lovely family danader with great views of the mourne, you can even take a pram up the road its that good. The adventurous among you might prefer going from the other side and up a (roughly) waymarked route called Pass Loanin.
http://www.walkni.com/walks/3/slieve-croob-pass-loaning/
think outside, no box required

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014 »

Nice write-up whoRya and great photos, i've spent a lot of time in that part of the country. Slieve Croob really has outstanding views of the the distant Mournes, and the road up there is relatively easy enough for a quick day outing.

I've always liked the dolmen, it can look fairly atmospheric in the right weather conditions and despite it being beside the road with a few houses close-by i do think it's worth the visit.

Binders Cove is fantastic, it's without doubt one of the most well preserved souterrains in the country, especially when the weather's good and you can get all the way into the end. Here's a fun fact to give the kiddies something to do, there's a loose rock about a metre from the entrance on the left-hand side, it was used to store weapons incase of attack, see if the kids can find it. Also near-by in Finnis is the supposedly haunted tree to really spook things up a bit, lol: http://goo.gl/WECpjd

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014 »

Loving all the extra information, this it what makes it a great place for a day out with the kids (big and small alike ;))
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014 »

I've been to Legannany Dolmen a few times but never Finnis Souterrain. I'll have to check it out. Never really been on Slieve Croob either. Will have to add that to the list too!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]