Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: First Aid Kits  (Read 8508 times)

Windy

• Top Poster
First Aid Kits
« on: March 04, 2014 »

I was going to add this to the original post but a warning came up regarding 120 days so forgive me if this has been covered.
There are not too many parts here where we are too far from help but in the interim 1st Aid does make things go that lot easier.
I believe all hikers should carry a basic first aid kit when out hiking. Having a kit means you can provide 1st Aid to yourselves or fellow hiker whilst we wait for the MMR
Having a basic kit can make your life that much more comfortable with minor ailments if on a long Hike or overnight camp.

I have recently put together a new first aid kit, this I use on over night's and long hikes

Bought an off the peg from Sports Direct (£5.99 was £11.99 but everything is reduced in there....)

Once packed away it weighs in at 380g's .
It clips onto your Bergan which space saves inside

If there are any alternatives would love to hear .
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: First Aid Kits
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014 »

The stuff in that kit seems more geared to relieving minor ailments than life saving. I (nearly) always carry a kit too but include a whistle, small flashing light and tick remover. Another item I always bring into the hills when with a group is a bothy bag, at approx 500g for a 4 man one it's well worth the extra weight and really could be a life saver. Plus they're great for having your lunch in on a wet and windy day  ;)
think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014 »

P.s the diarrhoea stoppers sound interesting, are they made of cork  :o
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014 by LandyLiam »

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014 »

I agree minor ailments so often ruin a trip. If you need anymore than what's in this. You need Medevac. First aid is providing an immedite respnse using what you have. Splints=walking poles etc. For example

.  Regardiing whistle ,bothy bag etc I normally keep that seperate and will look at an emergency grab bag as it were. Maybe an idea for another topic
Ticks are easily removed with tweezers by turning anti clockwise and dab of antiseptic cream prevents further

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014 »

Nice little kit there, here is mine.

5 X GAUZE SWABS: Cleaning wounds & applying medications/ padding dressings.
8 X ANTISEPTIC WIPES: Cleaning minor wounds, cleaning tools, cleaning skin prior to blister treatment.
2 X LOW ADHERENT DRESSINGS: Non stick dressings for minor wounds.
1 x SPACE BLANKET: Emergency hypothermia treatment.
1 X ROLL FINGER TAPE: Securing dressings, strapping sprains & strains.
1 X BAG DISTILLED WATER: Wound irrigation.
1 X ANTHISAN TUBE: bite & sting treatment.
1 X 10ml SYRINGE: 1 X SCISSORS: 1 X TWEEZERS
1 X ROLL TRANSPORE TAPE: Securing dressings, improvised butterfly sutures, blister prevention, stays put when wet.
1 X STRIP PLATER TAPE: Dressing minor wounds.
1 x BAG COTTON TIPS: Applying medication, aid in foreign body removal.
1 X TUBE LIPBALM
1 X BOTTLE IODINE: Antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial, (10 drops per cup water) wound irrigation, (12 drops per litre) water purification.
2 X PAIR VINYL GLOVES.
10 X COMPEED PADS: Blister treatment
1 X ROLL COHESIVE BANDAGE: Securing dressings, strapping sprains
8 X IBUPROFEN: pain relief, anti inflammatory, can be taken with paracetemol.
8 X PARACETEMOL: Pain relief, fever reduction.
6 x CAFFINE PILLS: Pain relief, temporary tiredness relief.
8 X CO CODAMOL: Pain relief, cannot be taken with anything else.
6 X DIARRHOEA RELIEF CAPSULES.
3 X DIARRHOEA SALT REPLACEMENTS.
4 X HYDROCHLORIDE TABLETS: Allergy relief.

It is a hefty kit that does cover a few extra things above and beyond what I ever intend to encounter, the only thing missing so far is one of the Israeli bandages for any large serious wounds. But generally I try to adopt a mentality that a single large bandage may save my life if I get in real trouble but otherwise any injury that I cannot deal with using the above list is likely to be too debilitated to walk myself to safety anyway. In that instance there is little to no point carrying round half an ambulance to deal with any injury if said injury leaves you sitting on a mountain waiting on an airlift. Better to just have enough to patch up small cuts etc and leave the heavy gear to the professionals.

I use a maxpedition fatty pack for carrying my kit, it is a bulky heavy item but it does mean I can carry it on the outside of a molle pack or inside any other pack. The heavy duty nature means it keeps out all but heavy rainstorms and never suffers from damage so I always have the needed gear to heand when you need it most.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014 »

Thanks for the Cotton Buds and Iodine
What would the syringe be for? obviously no needles, It is a bulky pack but it is individual .
Over nighters is the limit of mine and its great to get insight from others .Most  imformative .
Lip balm is on my person and Space blanket is kept with the bothy bag. Thanks Rich

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014 »

The syringe does indeed have a needle tip, but a blunt one rather than normal types. It's generally for cleaning out any cuts etc, if you just try to wash a cut you don't get much water pressure and can easily leave bits of grit etc inside. Using a syringe gets you a high pressure water jet that cleans a cut quickly with no messing about so you can get it dressed. Glad you mentioned the space blanket as mine is currently just one of the cheap foil types that will do in an emergency but really tend to be single use only. I need to change it for one of these http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/safety-and-first-aid/VE104.html.

My kit can seem quite expensive but when you look closer at it you will notice there is actually not that much in regard to complexity, my first aid skills are limited and as such I only carry with me things I know I can use with great proficiency. I have seen some folks in the past carrying a toolbox of wonderous first aid gear but lacked the knowledge on the exact usage of each component. Then it just becomes dead weight as you can't make use of it, not to mention it clutters up the kit making you waste valuable time looking for the right part when you actually need it.

My general motto now fits as thus.

Any injury which cannot be patched up with a few plaster etc and a couple of painkillers to allow me to hobble to safety is beyond first aid and requires professional attention. Therefore a first aid kit needs not to cover anything beyond such injuries baring a possible life saving measure in an emergency. In short if you can't patch it and numb it your need outside help.

By sticking to this method I find I never try to carry stuff for silly things like broken legs and tracheostomies. I leave that to folks who train for it and stick with compeeds and brufens. 8)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014 »

I have one that looks suspiciously similar but is from Lifeventure. I didn't add anything to it though.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014 »

Red  Leader seen that kit . they seem to  have the good basic stock in them not like some others,

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014 »

Here's a wee tip, you can often get a refill kit for a fraction of the full kit price, and just stick it in a dry bag  ;)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014 »

I don't bother carrying anything major, just a few plasters and steri strips. The advice give to me on numerous outdoor specific and expedition specific courses is that the contents of a personal first aid kit would likely offer little assistance. If someone falls or injures themselves to a point where a rescue response is required its unlikely a few tablets and the odd bandage will suffice. Don't get me wrong here it is all well and good to be prepared I just doubt the level of effectiveness a small kit has. 

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014 »

Have you guys ever considered carrying Facemasks in your first aid Kit? They're kind of like mouth to mouth resuscitation shields for when you don't know where people have been and don't fancy getting blood/snot/brain matter in your mouth when giving CPR.

I'd seriously recommend them. I know current logic with CPR states there's no need to give breaths but those guidelines are urban based and unless they send Airwolf to get you you'll be a while.

Worth their weight in gold and usually have handy hints on CPR printed on them too

If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014 »

http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/section.asp?cat=fcmm .... £5 for a pack of 10 here

.... Seriously worthwhile
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]