Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: A pledge to Microadventure.  (Read 6261 times)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
A pledge to Microadventure.
« on: January 31, 2012 »

So after stumbling across the term Microadventure in a magazine, and further researching it* I have been taken away by some of the things I have never thought of doing. I have scrapped the plans of somehow getting out of the country this summer and I am going to try my best to try as many things as I can here in good old NI. And I'l try to keep it wild, NI-Wild.

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/adventures/year-microadventure/

Some of the things that have grabbed my eye are:

Use your weekend
Sleep on a hill
Back to basics
Exploring Islands
Source to sea
Grab a map. Close your eyes. Point. Go.

So my plan is to have as many microadventures as I can. I'm already excited for them. :)

It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: A pledge to Microadventure.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012 »

I like it Oisin. Especially as I aint going anywhere this year. Will watch the videos tomorrow when my internet isn't being crap, but I like his point that adventure is a state of mind.

I always need something to be at. Certainly entering races and events is on the cards this year, maybe some urban/stealth bivvys... and have been thinking about wild swimming for a while now.

Pity I don't have a weekend to use. Got to be spontaneous. One of the best things is when you wake at 5am and instead of going back to sleep go out and have an adventure before breakfast while the world dreams: makes you feel alive (and a little more awesome) and you catch moments just for yourself. Magic.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012 »

only last week i tried to talk my wife into having a weeks holiday in NI where we would visit as many attractions as possible and eating out all week, maybe the odd hotel stopover (no camping!), basically just a week of having fun  :) but she went and booked Lake Garda anyway, i'm gutted  ::)
think outside, no box required

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012 »

Got to be spontaneous. One of the best things is when you wake at 5am and instead of going back to sleep go out and have an adventure before breakfast while the world dreams: makes you feel alive (and a little more awesome) and you catch moments just for yourself. Magic.
you've quite the way with words twentyclicks :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012 by Dowser »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012 »

Fantastic idea. Sometimes the outdoors plans get far too complex, just pick a nice idea and get out there and do it. Brilliant.

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012 »

exploring islands :probably not what you mean but i have always wanted to stay over on rathlin so will do that this year. if you mean small islands some ni wild are doing strangford,maybe hitch a canoe lift ?!!!!

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012 »

you've quite the way with words twentyclicks :D

Ta. Articulation has been a happy side-effect of years of naval-gazing  :)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012 »

exploring islands :probably not what you mean but i have always wanted to stay over on rathlin so will do that this year. if you mean small islands some ni wild are doing strangford,maybe hitch a canoe lift ?!!!!

Thats exactly what I mean, just choosing a island and going. I think aslong as its something that you wouldnt usually do, it doesnt matter if its been done before.

I just need to wait for an extra hour of two of sunlight and things will get underway.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012 »

Thats exactly what I mean, just choosing a island and going. I think aslong as its something that you wouldnt usually do, it doesnt matter if its been done before.

I just need to wait for an extra hour of two of sunlight and things will get underway.

I agree, anything different from the norm, I am deffo gonna camp out on a "school night" and then go on into work, have been considering that for a while now!  :)

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012 »

oisin what i was trying to say was, i want to do rathlin but sounds like you want to do uninhabited island,hense strangford may be a good option

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012 »

oisin what i was trying to say was, i want to do rathlin but sounds like you want to do uninhabited island,hense strangford may be a good option
I havent even thought about what islands, so I have an open mind, it could be anywhere. The criteria will be:

Something I havent done or somewhere I havent been before. This could take me alot of places. :)

I agree, anything different from the norm, I am deffo gonna camp out on a "school night" and then go on into work, have been considering that for a while now!  :)

Its great to do that. I remember Grace and I trying out our hammocks right on the lough shore, and then packing up in the morning and I headed into work a few hours later. (Fresher than I thought I would have been, must be all the fresh lough air)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012 »

when you think about it, geocaching is a great way to microadventure, e.g. today i finished work early and popped into the mournes for a quicky to get a new cache on rocky mountain in the snow, geocaching gives you that added reason to go somewhere and a target to achieve, and even if you don't find it, you've normally visited a place worth visiting  :)
think outside, no box required

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]