Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Fair Head / Murlough Bay  (Read 13147 times)

DominoYesMaybe

• Jr. Poster
    • Slightly Doolally
Fair Head / Murlough Bay
« on: June 19, 2011 »

I hadn't quite got my Forum Head on when I blogged the walk I did today
from Ballycastle Harbour to Fair Head and Back, so this should be in this blog

I don't know if it is OK to do this but here is the post on my own blog for your
delectation http://slightlydoolally.com/wp/?p=2631

Steve

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Fair Head / Murlough Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011 »

I've been wanting to get up to Fair Head for ages. It's been on the list for more than 2 years, sounds like an awesome walk and I love the look of the Grey Mans Path.

DominoYesMaybe

• Jr. Poster
    • Slightly Doolally
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011 »

You can . and i use the word carefully, get to the base of the Grey Man's thru the boulder field at the base of Fair Head
I have done this a couple of time many many years ago and it is a real nightmare. At best you will manage 0.5 mph and spend
the entire time trying to find the path. Not even the sheep or wild goats enjoy it in the maze of blind entries, deep cravasses and holes covered by innoucus bracken and heather. There are as far as I can see the start of 3 paths. One at the base of the cliff, however this peters out quite quickly as the yearly rock falls from the cliff itself obscure the path.
The Second path starts out about half way up and seems to be reasonably passable for the first 100 yards and then looses itself in the bracken, thorn and tree growth from between the rocks.

The third path follows the shore and is perhaps the least problematical but most dangerous the boulders are smaller but there are way way way more of them, they are looser, wetter and more prone to wobbling when you stand on them.

I find it best to go to the top of the cliff and then go down have a look around and come back up again, but only when dry, even slightly damp and it is slippy as a very slippy thing and never ever attempt it alone!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011 »

Sounds like we should all pile along the next time you're doing it! Nothing like some local knowledge.

You can . and i use the word carefully, get to the base of the Grey Man's thru the boulder field at the base of Fair Head
I have done this a couple of time many many years ago and it is a real nightmare. At best you will manage 0.5 mph and spend
the entire time trying to find the path. Not even the sheep or wild goats enjoy it in the maze of blind entries, deep cravasses and holes covered by innoucus bracken and heather. There are as far as I can see the start of 3 paths. One at the base of the cliff, however this peters out quite quickly as the yearly rock falls from the cliff itself obscure the path.
The Second path starts out about half way up and seems to be reasonably passable for the first 100 yards and then looses itself in the bracken, thorn and tree growth from between the rocks.

The third path follows the shore and is perhaps the least problematical but most dangerous the boulders are smaller but there are way way way more of them, they are looser, wetter and more prone to wobbling when you stand on them.

I find it best to go to the top of the cliff and then go down have a look around and come back up again, but only when dry, even slightly damp and it is slippy as a very slippy thing and never ever attempt it alone!

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011 »

Sounds like a plan..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011 »

This one is on my list. 

Are there many spots up there for a cheeky wee overnighter of the set up late/leave early (and leave no trace) variety?
"Not all those who wander are lost."

DominoYesMaybe

• Jr. Poster
    • Slightly Doolally
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011 »

Not on the cliffs themselves, the land is all private. That being said one of the local farmers is a decent sort and he might be persuaded if you were to give him a £ or two towards his car park. Sean McBride is his name and my climbing buddies tell me that as along as all litter is taken home and people donate £5 per person per night, for the privilege, which includes car parking for 2 days you should be OK. The land down from the ridge to the east of Loug Crannagh is NT land and although not marshalled in any strict way campling is strictly forbidden.

Be warned the top of fair head is very exposed and the wind would take the flesh from your bones. A workable alternative would be to Bivvy on Ballycastle beach down by Pan's rocks. I don't think this is strictly allowed but there were 5 igloos there on Sunday Morning. There is also a camp site about a mile from marconi's cottage called Maguires Strand which had tents and there were a couple of tents up against the cliff at the Gribben about 1/2 mile on the "rough" side of Marconi's cottage just past the old Pier. Whether this is allowed I have no idea but it looked like a decent place if a tab damp.

DominoYesMaybe

• Jr. Poster
    • Slightly Doolally
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011 »

@redleader - I have come contacts in the local Coastguard rescue teams who train down that way fairly regularly. If you are interested in the "Hard" way thru the boulders I could see if he is up for a spot of navigation if you wanted to do get to the grey Man's from the sea side. If you just want to do the dander I did on Sunday with a scramble down and back up again, I can do that no problem :-)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011 »

Cheers DYM.  I found this on the Fairhead Climbers website:

I'm pleased to inform you that Sean McBride (farmer and landowner) has agreed to permit camping in the area of the ruined farm. Sean has been encouraged, when this was tested in 2008 and climbers proved that gates would be kept closed, all litter would be taken home and people would donate £5 per person per night, for the privilege, which includes car parking for 2 days. This is a big step forward, and if it is popular it'll help to spur Sean on to develop further. There are no toilets and climbers should take the short drive to use the toilet at the Barnish Cafe. Sean has provided a fresh water tap in the car park.

I don't think Sean's car park is marked on this.  If I am correct the car park on the left is at Marconi's and the one at Lough na Cranagh is the NT one.  Is Sean's somewhere in between?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011 »

I'm up for it all :) Lets do the easy dander first though  ;D

@redleader - I have come contacts in the local Coastguard rescue teams who train down that way fairly regularly. If you are interested in the "Hard" way thru the boulders I could see if he is up for a spot of navigation if you wanted to do get to the grey Man's from the sea side. If you just want to do the dander I did on Sunday with a scramble down and back up again, I can do that no problem :-)

DominoYesMaybe

• Jr. Poster
    • Slightly Doolally
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011 »

@Redleader - I am off to Glenariff this weekend, what about the following weekend 2/3rd July?

@whoRa - The car park at Marconi's is just a layby on a public road, there is no charge to park there
If you leave Ballycastle on the Cusendun road you will come to Hunter's Bar, turn up Torr Road, Turn left
onto FairHead Road go up about 1.5 miles and the turn to the car park is on the left. I dont think it is signposted
here is a Google Maps link http://maps.google.com/?ll=55.213405,-6.152859&spn=0.012977,0.038581&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=55.216622,-6.154112&panoid=3UjNL37nkbiF2bTHb3nufQ&cbp=12,44.02,,0,8.51
There is another car park up the road on the next turn to the left here http://maps.google.com/?ll=55.214065,-6.144414&spn=0,0.038581&t=h&layer=c&cbll=55.214065,-6.144414&panoid=47KtpAhfRCwil4QbwSSn3A&cbp=12,23.88,,0,10.89&z=15 it is to the right of the houses under the trees, this is the NT one I believe.

There is also an NT car park here http://maps.google.com/?ll=55.208594,-6.130146&spn=0.001635,0.004823&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=55.208642,-6.129994&panoid=Dk4T7MX1Efu6jXl_LcYeQw&cbp=12,356.49,,0,6.71 where you can approach the cliffs from the east

ChuckMcB

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011 »

Here's a map of the area if it helps any

Cheers for the info guys. Walking kit's going to be living in the back of my car waiting for the next good night for a bit of an explore after work.

I was at Marconi's cottage Friday night two weeks ago. Seems they have finished the development work on it, but it's still not occupied, the upside of which is there is a wee manned security hut, which I left at 10pm he was still there, judging by the lack of burnt patches on the tarmac I suspect he's there all night which could make for safe parking and a linear walk from one end of Fair Head to the other.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011 by Chuck »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]