Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: BIC Ouassou...Great Craic  (Read 9501 times)

wolfchorus

• Newbie Poster
BIC Ouassou...Great Craic
« on: August 19, 2009 »

Hey all,

Recently bought a BIC Ouassou to get an introduction to the paddling scene and to establish whether or not I was going to enjoy it... Well, I really do enjoy it and although I have only really been messing about wave surfing I am addicted... Have decided that I want to get something a little more serious that would allow me perhaps to do a mix of sea/ river/ lake touring but at the same time I'm not sure whether I should look into getting another alternative SOT or an enclosed kayak with spraydeck etc... All advice welcomed... I know that an enclosed kayak may require training but I am a strong swimmer and keen to learn where necessary, so if you can give pointers as regards training too then please do.

Oh yeah... I am on the bigger side with 6ft+ and 110kg... and no "have you thought about a rowing boat?" jokes... arf arf.

Later all.......Awooooooooo.....
Wolfie. 8)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: BIC Ouassou...Great Craic
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009 »

I'd throw a vote in for an open canoe. They're versatile, you can do rivers, lakes and sea but also have loads of space for gear for camping.

[smg id=37]

wolfchorus

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009 »

Thanks for that Jonno... I never really thought about the open canoe before; however, now that you mention it, it makes sense from the perspective of overnight trips etc... The canoe in your posted pic really looks  like a versatile wee buggy, can I ask what material its made from? and have you found it to be stable in the water (flat or wake)?

Wolfie.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009 »

It's an Old Town Charles River. It's made from polylink (I have no idea what that is - seems like some sort of plastic) but you can get it in royalex which is lighter. The polylink version is 38Kg (I think). It's well stable in flat water and copes well with waves too.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009 »

hi , late reply i know , but check out kayakanglingireland.com for some usefull SOT kayak info.plenty of reports with pics and reviews from guys from n.ireland. including me  ;D

as for advice on a kayak? sell the BIC clog and get a prowler 13 for all round versatility.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]