Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Fishing safely  (Read 5542 times)

SAMD

Fishing safely
« on: July 11, 2010 »

I was intending to go fishing for Mackerel this weekend in my Kayak between Newcastle harbour and Annalong. My first attempt in a Canoe. But the weather is kinda wild and my wife got wind of it... so no go. I am a bit concerned regarding safety, so unless conditions are just right I will give it a miss. If the conditions are ok I am happy to potter along on my own and try this fishing lark at my own speed, but a capsize would not be good. When I was younger getting out of the cockpit whilst under the water was not a problem, but I really dont fancy it much now, with my duff shoulder and duff knee, heavier, less fit etc. etc.
So going along with someone else is a bit of a compromise, if something happens then it has to be safer, (even if it is only to tell your wife where you went down!) but there is no doubt 'something happening' is less likely if I am on my own.
So at the minute, since I am just feeling my way so to speak, I intend going on my own. Wind permitting, some evening this week.

SAMD

Re: Fishing safely
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010 »

Well so much for that bright idea! Last night was the night, I decided, I launched at the back of the harbour (is there a discharge from the treatment plant around there? it didn't look too tasty) anyway, stuffed my bits n pieces into the kayak and set off up the coast. I had forgotten my spray deck but I didn't mind as I felt it could get in the way anyhow. After about a mile or two I decided to start fishing and opened up the fishing stuff. I had tied my paddles onto a line I had attached between the bow and the stern.
After messing about a bit a swell caught me awkwardly and I capsized. I could see the cliff face shore line and the vans and buses driving along above the wall. I had got out of the kayak without much difficulty, about 10-15 seconds I would say, the water was cold but I've felt it worse. I was quite concerned about the fishing line and the 5 hooks on it. I was going to strike out for the shore on my own but I knew you should stay with the boat if possible, I also realised there was no way to get up the cliff onto the road and the kayak way my best way of getting back to the harbour. So I set about swimming and pushing/dragging the boat to the shore line. It must have taken about 45 mins of alternately swimming on my back and dragging the boat or pushing the boat in front of me. Got to the rocks, emptied the boat and after a couple of failed attempts I managed to get back out through the swell and paddle my way back to the harbour. I was glad to get onto dry land I must say. I feel like I have been kicked up and down a Rugby field today  :o Oh well. The family aren't too pleased with me I must say! >:(

ChuckMcB

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010 »

I was quite concerned about the fishing line and the 5 hooks on it.
The fish's revenge ;)

Glad you made it to dry land.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010 by Chuck »

SAMD

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010 »

Thanks Chuck, so am I  :D

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010 »

That sounds like a rough intro to sea fishing!  I much prefer fishing for mackerel from the safety of a boat ;)  Glad to hear you arrived home safely though!

I've started fishing again after a long lay off, but just been sticking to sea fishing from the rocks.  So far I've been going around the usual spots on the North Down coast, but was thinking of taking a trip to Newcastle.  Do you know if you can fish off the rocks near the Bloody Bridge car park?

SAMD

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010 »

I dont know for definate, but I would think you can, its in that area I would fish and I know my bro and Dad have caught loads from the boat at this time of year in previous years. It depends on how good a path there is down to the rocks. And how keen you are! I do know ('cos I had to swim through it on Wed night!) that there is a band of big heavy seaweed running close to the rocks and you will loose a lot of tackle in it at low tide. So if you can only fish at high tide it will be much easier. Although I have heard that once the tide turns the fish tend to run with it and it will take them away from the rocks. So an hour or two before high tide might be best.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010 »

I dont know for definate, but I would think you can, its in that area I would fish and I know my bro and Dad have caught loads from the boat at this time of year in previous years. It depends on how good a path there is down to the rocks. And how keen you are! I do know ('cos I had to swim through it on Wed night!) that there is a band of big heavy seaweed running close to the rocks and you will loose a lot of tackle in it at low tide. So if you can only fish at high tide it will be much easier. Although I have heard that once the tide turns the fish tend to run with it and it will take them away from the rocks. So an hour or two before high tide might be best.

Cheers for the advice, might be worth a look then if the tide is right.  I saw people fishing off the harbour wall in Newcastle as well, so it also might be worth a look.  I hate losing tackle in seaweed though ;)  Oh to have a boat again...

SAMD

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010 »

Oh to have a boat again...

Definition of 'boat'

A hole in water surrounded by fiberglass into which one pours money.
 ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010 »

I have a Canadian I've been tempted to fish from. Wouldn't like to do it alone incase what happened to you happened to me. Don't like the idea of self rescue from the sea on my own  :'(

SAMD

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010 »

Mmmm, I have been mulling over what happened and there are a few things that I have thought of. I couldn't understand why I capsized for starters cos I hadn't capsized in 40 years and I would usually be able to 'lean' on my paddle to help balance then I remembered I didn't have my paddle in my hand, it was tied to the painter to stop floating away while I was fishing. Also, as I had left the beach for the first time, a large wave had swept over the kayak and dumped a few gallons of water into the cockpit, (I had no spraydeck on) and I can remember when the thing tipped up during the capsize I had expected it to rightify itself after the initial tip up, instead after about 2 secs I realised it wasn't going to rightify itself instead it went on over. I reckon the water swirling around inside had time to run to the side of the boat and stopped it from rightifying itself/assisted in putting the boat on over.
It turned out I was fitter than I realised-thankfully! although it was probably all adrenaline induced and when the adrenaline ran out I would have been in trouble.
I have a tendancy to be a bit 'gung-ho' although I am not as silly as my wife accuses me of, - hence my continued existance  :D But there is no doubt lessons can be learnt - which is why I do the self analyses bit. Anyway, I am a great believer in the principle that you should take no unnecessary risks - because life is so full of necessary ones you should never use up your chances.
But to be more relevent to your situation, analyse your own situation carefully, take on board all you have learned in life (I presume you are a mature male)and make your decisions based on that info. At the end of the day it is up to you to make those decisions.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]